Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-05-20, 10:54 AM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I didn't allude to my political views, I just stated that I thought KCM was making hers very obvious by her actions. I don't care what anyone believes and I don't care what KCM believes. I don't look at people differently because of their views. Some of my good friends have different political views from me and we're still good friends. My point was I don't think an instructor should mix their business with their politics. Just my opinion. I think it's unprofessional. And I agree our discussions should focus on our fintess quests and so should our instructors focus on their fitness business. Just my opinion.
Well said. My point as well.
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 12:41 PM  
Gams

Or mix religion with their business.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 01:30 PM  
prettyinpink

I’m not defending Kelly as I don’t follow her social media and don’t know her opinions, except for the link about working out outside. But this is interesting. I don’t think it’s that hard to have an impersonal business presence, but that isn’t really what some people want, either.

Some people seem to really like a small business, specifically a fitness instructor, to be interactive with customers and fans on social media. Sometimes they are criticized when they don’t.

But they are only supposed to be real to a point. Share things that show personality and something about their life, but not authenticity. Not anything remotely religious, even though for a religious person, that is often the most important part of who they are. I think most everyone has religious beliefs that sometimes show through, even if they don’t identify with any religion.

And others are happy for authentic opinions to be expressed, as long as they personally agree with the sentiment or as long as it’s the majority opinion.

And better not have a personal page at all, because customers might find it and see something they don’t like.
It must be a hard line for a public figure to walk. Maybe some just don’t care to try, or give up.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 02:38 PM  
Gams

I used to be a huge fan of the Oak Ridge Boys. I’ve seen them in concert more than 30 times. Then I started communicating with them on their forum and my adoration really soured and I no longer listen to their music. Go figure.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 02:54 PM  
prettyinpink

Yes. I’m trying to figure out what bothers me and what doesn’t in what public figures allow to show through.

There are some that bother me that I know I disagree with, and some I don’t. Maybe it has more to do with the product, but there are situations where it matters what the particular issue is.

Some people want businesses to be more open about these things, so that they can choose to support or not support them based on where they stand.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 03:18 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
In 2016, I gave away my collection of KCM videos for these reasons, when she entered the fray. Regardless of your opinions/ideology, I found it extremely unprofessional and inflammatory.
I very much agree, her comments in 2016 were horrible. I cannot support her business.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 03:41 PM  
dianestjohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I agree as well and yet almost everyone who has posted on this thread has shared their personal views (or certainly alluded to them) on their political/social stance which is actually doing what everyone is complaining KCM does. This could cause some of us VFers to feel towards other VFers the way many of you feel about KCM. How sad would that be?! It would be fantastic if discussions could just focus on workouts and supporting each other in our fitness quests.
For me it depends on how the political views are expressed and I honestly feel most of the people I "know" from Videofitness are kind and respectful when they express differing points of view. (The exception being maybe Tracy Anderson threads ). "I believe in this, let me tell you why, but I respect you if you disagree" is fine with me. But name-calling, denigrating those who disagree, my-way-or-the-highway-cram-it-down-your-throat inflammatory rhetoric rubs me the wrong way and I will not give my financial support to any business that is in-your-face aggressive with their political comments. Similarly with those businesses who are maybe not as inflammatory but who publicize that, for example, they tithe to organizations that, to some ways of thinking, discriminate against certain groups of people. I can get good food and good workouts elsewhere.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 08:57 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Well said. My point as well.
I count 8 or 9 of us on this thread who will not purchase due to the mix of personal with professional on Kelly’s social media. My point, too. It’s simply unprofessional and indicates a level of immaturity.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-20, 09:35 PM  
Leonana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjayd View Post
I agree as well and yet almost everyone who has posted on this thread has shared their personal views (or certainly alluded to them) on their political/social stance which is actually doing what everyone is complaining KCM does. This could cause some of us VFers to feel towards other VFers the way many of you feel about KCM. How sad would that be?! It would be fantastic if discussions could just focus on workouts and supporting each other in our fitness quests.
I think most of us were discussing whether the airing of political views affects our purchasing decision, and that is pretty general and can apply to everyone.
Old 06-05-20, 10:57 PM  
cjayd
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
I think most of us were discussing whether the airing of political views affects our purchasing decision, and that is pretty general and can apply to everyone.
Maybe start a thread to discuss that then. This is a thread about KCM filming new workouts which surprised me with the current virus situation. I was curious what her new workouts would be. I was surprised to find it is more about how several people didn’t like her political views and less about what she is filming. I would assume whatever she said was contrary to those people’s views thus upsetting them. I agree that whatever she said was not professional. I’m not on social media so I don’t know what she said and don’t care to find out. I think many of us have had negative interactions with or negative reactions to things instructors have done over the years. I just don’t see what comes from going on and on about it. It can’t be undone. She said it. She shouldn’t have. If a person doesn’t like her workouts because of it, that’s completely fine. There’s plenty more workouts and instructors out there to workout with. The news is so negative lately VF is kind of a safe haven for me and I find it frustrating that this stuff has to invade the conversation here. It seems it would be better served in private conversation or on a social media site instead is all I was trying to say. I guess I’ll just have to be morE careful what threads I open up.
cjayd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coronavirus, covid-19, kcm