Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-20, 04:09 PM  
fatkat555

So naturally everything is held up a bit. The lights I need are delayed delivery until 4/18. I have a neighbor who is going to let me borrow some of his lights. He’s a photographer, but won’t get to his studio until later this week. My ring light, however, should arrive Thursday. Good news! I’ve picked up three new clients this week for live streaming despite tech issues.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-20, 08:23 PM  
fatkat555

I’ve finally gotten my live class ironed out. My lighting situation still isn’t the best, but it’s much improved over what it was. I’m using a setup of lamps strategically set around my she shed. So now i can finally turn my attention to making a test YouTube video. One more question: do you prefer an outdoor setting or indoor setting for videos? Outdoor I would use my suspension barre setup and indoor is a fixed ballet barre.

Edited: well, I tried to add photos of both locations so I could get some input, but I’m unable to upload from my iPad. Tech issues always (sigh)

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Old 04-02-20, 08:51 PM  
BunnyHop

This is so exciting for you! Neat.

My own preferences in terms of visuals are all about good contrast. I need to be able to see what the instructor is doing so that I can properly follow along.

Add me to the group who needs to have their 'perpetual state of recovery' situation acknowledged.

Sure, there are those who can go hard core, up on their toes, in perfect position for a zillion repetitions. More power to them, but I simply cannot join in.

In terms of style? I don't much care for loads of TIFTing, and hate it when the reps on one side aren't repeated evenly on the other. Physically I cannot do much up on my toes (old broken toe and other issues). If the workout depends on being up on the balls of my feet, again, it's not something I can do, so it won't hold my attention.

In terms of coping with my own limitations, I have found that I get the best results by working well within my own limits, whatever the instructor might say. Not extending fully, never over reaching, never working in pain or even strong discomfort. Sure, working is the purpose, but moving slowly and deliberately within my own limits has brought me more progress than anything else I've tried over the past ten years.

From an instructional point of view, I'm not a beginner. I don't need to work at a snail's pace once the moves and sequence are familiar, but I do need to move with deliberation and respect for my limitations. If you ask me there's LOTS of need out there for instructors who are willing to acknowledge that segment of the population.

Little annoys me more than an instructor who constantly implies that working fast and hard and pushing my limits will bring me progress, and that if I'm not doing those things that I must not care about my good health. I need to work within certain limits because I've learned the hard way that it's the only thing that works for me.

I do hope this whole project is great fun for you, it really sounds like an exciting new adventure.
Old 04-02-20, 09:14 PM  
fatkat555

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
This is so exciting for you! Neat.

Physically I cannot do much up on my toes (old broken toe and other issues). If the workout depends on being up on the balls of my feet, again, it's not something I can do, so it won't hold my attention.
Thank you for your input! I honestly appreciate it!

One thing I’ve done in studio to help those with broken toes or neuroma where they have trouble with releve (on the balls of the feet) is to elevate the heels with a yoga block and the weight should be in the heels. (If you pitch your weight forward in releve to the balls of the feet it puts all the work in the knee) I have all my clients who use the block option stay higher in their stance with less of a knee bend. There’s more to it, of course, with the back position. If this doesn’t help, good ol’ squat position with flat feet will. I generally do only two raised heel positions for thigh, one set for thigh is always flat-footed, low heel, or kneeling. My clients are for the most part women between 40-71. We ALL have to modify.

I believe you get better results by truly engaging the muscles you’re supposed to be working. It’s as much mental as physical. To do this effectively if you fling your body through space you lose a lot of the work. I also look at flexibility as more as a strength issue where you get better results through active flexibility work than passive stretching. I’ve seen some gains ( small, but noticeable) in both strength AND flexibility by changing my thinking in this respect. Can you tell I love my job?

Old 04-03-20, 10:13 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Thank you for your input! I honestly appreciate it!

... Can you tell I love my job?
You're welcome! Glad to share. I've seen too many instructors lose the chance to connect with their students by being apparently indifferent to their needs.

My favorite yoga teacher IRL always begins by reminding us of the need to start where you are and work within a range that's healthy for you. Her choice of words when she give instruction is very precise so that she doesn't inadvertently shut down somebody's chance to stay focused.

Best of luck with all of this, it's really exciting!
Old 04-08-20, 10:24 PM  
fatkat555

Filming tomorrow!!

I hope to get the video up on YouTube soon after. Will keep you all posted when it’s up.

Old 04-08-20, 11:13 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkat555 View Post
Filming tomorrow!!

I hope to get the video up on YouTube soon after. Will keep you all posted when it’s up.
Yay, hope all goes smoothly!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 02:00 PM  
fatkat555

So nothing went smoothly! 😂 I keep having constant tech issues, incompatible equipment. It’s very frustrating. I did get a little sample up on YouTube. Unfortunately the audio has a horrible echo, but I’m working on the sound issues. This is a very generic, basic barre warmup with upper body. Let me know what you think.

https://youtu.be/fB6uuRMfwQM

Old 04-14-20, 03:50 PM  
anetta

Thanks for the link, I will check it out

Anita
anetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-20, 04:28 PM  
fatkat555

I just added another one where I had background music and a microphone. Please let me know if this makes no difference or if it’s better. Thank you! I value your opinion!
https://youtu.be/si8LH5oAoCI