Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 07-29-20, 07:35 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I didn't add a thing on - had a terribly low step count - but DD wanted me to go w/ her to the barn, so I did that instead of walking.

Today, so far:

Pahla's - Total Body Low Impact Workout - from her Body Shaping Challenge playlist for this week.

Jessica Valent Pilates - Booty Burner and 10 Minute Ab Workout

I will aim for some more activity today!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-20, 08:59 PM  
Leonana

Today was a you tube workout, Upper Body Barre. Although, there is plenty of lower body work and some cardio. I used my four pound dumbbells. On the floor work with the ball, I used it behind my back for the crunches. that worked pretty well.

No workout yesterday. But I was on my feet all day. On Tuesdays, my friend and I go to Goodwill for senior discount day. We usually hit three Goodwills, one week on her side of town, one week on mine. Then in the evening I was doing things around the house. My feet were hurting at the end of the day. I think I need new shoes.

At first, there weren't many people shopping at the Goodwills, and I felt pretty safe. But yesterday the stores were really crowded, it was hard to social distance. Or maybe all the older people just want to get out of the house, I know that's the case with my friend and I. I had to go to Walmart this evening, and it was crowded there too. Now that masks are mandated, it must give people a sense of security. Of course, I'm one of the culprits too, so I can't criticize. At least our numbers are going down.

Waves to everyone!
Old 07-30-20, 07:43 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday after work I did Jessica Valent's chair workout - it was 20 minutes long and had a lot of functional exercises, like getting out of a chair. There were things I had to modify. A shorter version of the workout is on You Tube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeEUSW0tXks&t=17s

I also posted it in the 'aging' thread in GD.

Then, DD surprised me with wanting to go for a walk.

So, I did end up with a decent step count yesterday. I do it not so much for the "exercise" as the movement. Working from home has really impacted my step count in a negative way.

Today was:

Pahla B - 31 Day Workout Series - Day 23 - it was strength done 'inchworm' style. Exercise A 20 seconds, 20 seconds rest, Exercise A 20 sec, Exercise B 20 sec, 20 sec rest, Exercise B 20 sec, Exercise C 20 sec, and so on....

Jessica Valent - Pilates for Hip Pain. I have done this one a number of times and it is a good one for strengthening and stabilizing the hips.

I hope to get some walking in today!

Our schools are doing the first semester on-line, so the earliest my DD will be going back is Feb 1st or so. I have mixed feelings. I think she is ok with it as she has hated H.S. so much and I think being out of that environment has been better for her mental health than being in it. But, she was going to be props manager for the school play and they have also cancelled all extracurricular activities and athletics. My DD is better with being able to go out to work and ride her horse, so hopefully she can keep up with that while doing this on-line school thing.

Sherry - I haven't done any recreational shopping at all since this happened! But, I have never been a big shopper anyway - I don't really like to shop for clothes or anything. I generally was ordering stuff on-line before this happened. The only thing I used to like to shop for was books, but now w/ on-line books and the library, I had even cut back on that. I do miss walking around town with DD, though - we would do that a few times a month - I guess that was "shopping" to some extent as we would look in at various stores, etc. But it was mostly walking and usually getting something to eat. DH told me tha our state now has a mask mandate - now, whenever you are outside you need to wear one. I admit, even when DD and I would walk in the park, I wouldn't wear one since it wasn't crowded and I kept my distance from everyone. But....I think our case count is not really going down - it is sort of hovering in place - still under 5%, but....

Honestly my latest worry is DD bringing it home from work - being in an office for 20 hours a week - seems like a way to catch it. They wear masks and are spread out and she says there aren't many people in the office at any one time...but... stlll freaking out a little bit about it. She said the camp job was worse b/c kids were harder to control in terms of enforcing masks and social distancing.

These are crazy times.

Waves, wishiwasinhawaii!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 07-30-20, 10:38 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've been swamped with work and haven't had time to do much exercise, but I did squeeze in the first two workouts of Calm & Strong yesterday and the day before. I doubt I'll be able to do anything today since I had a meeting at 8 am, which is my usual workout time, and then I have multiple meetings the rest of the day. Maybe I can do something later tonight.

I've been staying in. The only time I go out is to do grocery shopping, which I do once a week. That's it. Masks (indoors) have been required here since the beginning, but I still don't feel it's all that safe. I actually wear two masks! The cloth one with the surgical over it. Masks outdoors are not required unless you're in a situation where it would be difficult to social distance, but I really have seen very few people wearing masks outdoors.

Donna, How long is your DD going to work at the office? Is it just a summer job? The schools here have not decided what to do, as far as I know. The sports teams have been practicing so I guess at this point, that is not cancelled which means my niece will be cheerleading. We'll see. I have a feeling it's all going to be cancelled because the number of cases has been rising.

I have an eye exam next week and I don't know what to do about that. I need new glasses badly, but I'm afraid!
Old 07-30-20, 03:34 PM  
Leonana

Today was Jessica's you tube workout, Beginners 30-Minute Power Interval Walk. There was some different moves in this one, sort of low impact, and it got my heart rate up.

I listened to Pahla's live on You Tube. I enjoyed hearing her POV on weight loss and exercise. Her eating is similar to how I eat when I lose weight. I also like her focus on positive thinking and changing our thoughts. I'll have to check out her podcast. Basically, her answer to most questions was "every body is different," lol. But it's true, what works for one, doesn't work for another.

Our governor has said schools will open August 17. I think they are expecting the kids to wear masks all day. I doubt that is going to be successfully implemented with kids. It seems many parents here want their kids to go back to school. Some are keeping them home, and doing online school.

I'm constantly exposed from my dh. He doesn't wear a mask and works in the moving business, and interacts with customers. My dd works at Starbucks. Because of that, I don't feel I have as much risk from shopping, as I wear a mask and social distance. Plus, my mental health declining and my depression increasing is a real risk. I have to balance it all. I guess everyone has to find the right balance in their life, weighing all the options. I also eat lunch on Fridays at Panera with five other friends, although we just recently started back up after not meeting for three months. And dh and I play cards with my Goodwill friend and her husband on Saturday nights. That is the extent of my socialization right now. Although, working for the Census will increase my risk too, I suppose. I am so excited about it though. I really, really need to get out of the house and use my brain doing something else!
Old 07-30-20, 07:02 PM  
donnamp

Hi!

I added on a TM walk and a quick stretch - the upside to my DD having her license is she can go to the barn to ride her horse w/out me (I make sure there are going to be people around though - it wouldn't be wise to ride alone - but they have lessons going on Mon-Fri so there are people there). I still go sometimes if she want me too.

Sherry - I think if I wasn't working I would also need to get out more - as much as I complain about working - it does help provide some 'structure' to my day, keeps my mind off everything, and I also get social interaction through work - either through on-line chatting or calls...and some of them end up being personal calls/chats. A friend of mine invited me to lunch and I think I will go - we're going to sit outside and/or get take out and go to the park to eat it - that is what my DD and I do. I agree there is a balance of risks - I know my DD was not able to stay home all day w/ nothing to do and no interaction - so even though I worry about her going to work, etc., I don't see how she could have done otherwise this summer. When she is back in school she'll probably have to quit her job or reduce her hours - I'm not sure what I'm hoping for as working has really helped boost her confidence and comfort level with herself. I have to check the rules to see how many hours a minor can work while in school and her hours now are 10:00 - 2:00 and those are school hours, and even if they aren't in school physically, I don't think they can work those hours! So I think it will be hard for her if she has to quit and stay home all the time again w/ the distance learning. Hopefully the barn will stay open so she can go out to ride her horse. She is definitely wanting to buy him....but one step at a time.

wishiwasainhawaii - masks have been required indoors here, the whole time and now I believe they are required outdoors if you can't keep your distance from other people. That may mean my park trips are coming to an end, it is too hot to walk outside w/ a mask. I think I could walk in my neighborhood w/out one b/c there is plenty of space to social distance in our neighborhood (we're sort of isolated and it is an older neighborhood w/ big lots/small houses). I have a primary care visit coming up on 8/13 - I'm considering cancelling - although they do have protocols to keep sick people out of the office. And, I also have a dentist appointment in late August...not sure about keeping that, but I find if I don't take care of my teeth the results are not good. Then I have an eye exam in October. I'm supposed to have a mammo, but, again, not sure about that - especially b/c w/ my history I'm there for hours on end as they study things, do ultrasounds, make me wait/panic, blah, blah, blah.

Hope everyone has a good evening!

Donna
Old 07-30-20, 07:06 PM  
Leonana

Donna, I agree the younger people still need socialization. Masks are not required outdoors here. It's too hot! Although, I do wear my mask in the parking lot going into the store, and coming out of the store.

Once I start working with the Census, that will cut down on my other activities. So maybe that's a good thing. I'm sure I will be required to wear a mask as I go door to door.
Old 07-30-20, 07:10 PM  
donnamp

I have seen people driving in their cars w/ masks on - I haven't done that. Parking lots, I haven't thought about - I think I take mine off as soon as I'm outside, but that may have to change now. I really don't like wearing the masks, it is hard to breathe in them and it gives me a headache. But, better safe than sorry.....

Donna
Old 07-31-20, 08:46 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today was:

Jessica Valent Pilates - Stronger Bones - Osteoporosis Routine - this was a weights/Pilates mix workout - some traditional exercises w/ weights and then some floor work. I enjoyed this mix and she included some good info about osteoporosis and exercises to avoid if you have it.

CS 730 - I felt like CS today - I just did the standing part of this episode as I was short on time.

Jessica V is doing a Pilates Camp starting tomorrow for 7 days, I think I will work with that and also do a 7 Day CS challenge for posture. I printed it off their site when I was a member, I don't have all the workouts, but i have some...and will sub for those I don't have.

And, of course, I'll be putting some Pahla and other instructors into the mix, too.

Must run - got up late this morning and have been behind ever since!!

Donna
Old 07-31-20, 07:51 PM  
Leonana

I did one of my favorites, Jessica's Back Friendly Strength workout. I did it this afternoon, after I got home from the orientation.

The two hour orientation went well. I had the coordinator to myself, the other person at my table didn't show. Unfortunately, the training website won't work. I'm supposed to do four hours today on my home computer, but I can't access it. I called the coordinator, and she said it would be up in an hour. That was four hours ago. And then I have 12 hours of online training for next week. Oh well, I'm not going to worry about it!

I hope everyone has a nice weekend!

Tags
jessica smith get strong