Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-20, 12:20 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
I would just like to share with everyone a fantastic book I just read that gives me hope. It's called "Swing" by Tracey Reifkind and she lost 120 lbs. Now granted she doesn't have Hashimoto's low thyroid but it sounds like it could work. It's about the kettlebell swing and the timing of it all. It's available on Amazon for a reasonable price.
Awesome. I have this book and forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 02:38 PM  
Lori_Michigan

My acupuncturist said he thinks my body was low on everything to begin with and with the constant up/down of estrogen, and all my health issues from the past year, that my system needs a complete reset. No working out to the point of sweating, no weights, no fast walking or even more than 30 minutes at a time. CS, light leisure walking, and some Ellens just for the next few months. And that's it. Wants me to just eat to fullness of whatever sounds good and not worry about it. My body just needs to heal before changing anything drastically. Kind of what I thought.

Going to continue weekly treatments for a few months. More than half of his patients are women in our age range, all with varying degrees of menopausal symptoms.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-20, 04:55 PM  
donnamp

Lori - that sounds good - and hopefully it will help you heal. A You Tuber I follow is CocoLime Fitness - she is too young to be menopausal or perimeno but she has some health issues and her workouts are geared to those who are looking for a gentler approach. She also has a paid Vimeo site (it isn't expensive, $6/month or something) and a MITFIT program that you can buy.

https://cocolimefitness.com/

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-20, 10:15 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
Lori - that sounds good - and hopefully it will help you heal. A You Tuber I follow is CocoLime Fitness - she is too young to be menopausal or perimeno but she has some health issues and her workouts are geared to those who are looking for a gentler approach. She also has a paid Vimeo site (it isn't expensive, $6/month or something) and a MITFIT program that you can buy.

https://cocolimefitness.com/

Donna
Thanks, Donna! I should give that a try. I like her music on her free youtube workouts!
Old 06-19-20, 12:47 PM  
glavtx
VF Supporter

I have read (don't remember the site, but think it was Cathe) that walking for 10 minutes after a meal is better for your blood sugar/insulin that 30 minutes of activity at any other time. I try to get myself to do that after every meal, and usually manage after two out of three most days.

Good luck to everybody; after reading all the posts, my peri-menopause doesn't seem to have been so bad.

If the only prayer you say in your life is Thank You, that would suffice.
Meister Eckhart

It is our resistance to things as they are that causes most unhappiness.

When you rise in the morning, give thanks for the light, for your life, for your
strength. Give thanks for your food and for the joy of living. If you see no
reason to give thanks, the fault lies in yourself. Tecumseh
glavtx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 03:48 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Just checking back in after a month -- I've been going to acupuncture for a month now and feeling SO much better than before. I can't recommend it enough!

I've also changed a few things --
-- I started spraying magnesium oil spray on my feet twice a day (I can't take it internally since it makes me sick). This has really helped my meno symptoms.
-- I started eating a light meal/snack about half an hour before bed. This has made a HUGE difference in how I sleep and I haven't been waking up with hot flashes or chills. I am also able to get up with my alarm and get going (and I feel rested). I eat a piece of cheese, some crackers, some almond butter, and some dried fruit.
-- I started drinking some electrolytes in the morning and during/after workouts. This has also made a huge difference. My acupuncturist thinks my electrolytes have been off for a long time and he actually recommended this. He said to just do it until I feel like I don't need to anymore. (I am also eating carbs/sugar in the morning and then just small meals the rest of the day. I feel this works well for me.)

I'm not sure if any of this violates the rules, but I thought I'd share what has worked for me in the past month. No weight loss yet, but my energy level is back to normal and I'm back to Cathe/Tracie/KCM workouts and alternating with Ellen/CS every other day. I had a 28 day cycle this month and my peri symptoms were barely noticeable this month. Not sure how long that will last, but I'll take it for now!
Old 07-13-20, 04:35 PM  
fanofladyvols

Lori,
I was just wondering about you today and am glad to hear that you have found some things bringing you some relief. Everyone is so different. Thanks for updating and hope you continue to find ways that work for you

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-20, 04:42 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Lori,
I was just wondering about you today and am glad to hear that you have found some things bringing you some relief. Everyone is so different. Thanks for updating and hope you continue to find ways that work for you
Awww, thanks, Linda! You are such a sweet person. I really appreciate you thinking of me!
Old 07-14-20, 09:30 AM  
Kathy G
VF Supporter

Awesome Lori! So glad you've found ways to reduce your symptoms! Just feeling better has to be a relief!
(1) 50k
(10) Marathons
(2) 20 milers
(3) 25k’s
(16) Half Marathons
(1) 20k
(6) 10 milers
(1) 15k
Kathy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-20, 04:00 AM  
Negin

I haven't yet read all of the replies. I don't have anything to add. I recently realized that I'm now post-menopausal. The cravings and weight gain have been the worst. I've never been so heavy in my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieO View Post
I recommend Menopause Taylors Youtube videos. She covers all aspects of menopause including diet and exercise recommendations.
I'm learning so much from watching her videos (in order, of course!). I'm so grateful to have found her and wish that I had known about her sooner. I don't have her book, but my husband encouraged me to book an appointment for a consultation. That's coming up in the next few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
My mother passed away last week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
My mom passed away this weekend, it was somewhat sudden, but she had been declining for about a year or so and it
Donna
Nuggie's Auntie and Donna, please accept my deepest sympathy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Metabolic Renewal has you take a quiz in the beginning to determine your type
The program has workouts that are about 15-20 minutes long. It's HIIT.
Then he recommends lots of walking. He says walking is crucial--more important than the HIIT workouts.
The eating plan is pretty low carb, avoid dairy, how much carb you can have depends on your type. The reason I don't follow the diet is because he wants you to eat three meals a day and some snacks depending on your type, but I don't do well with frequent eating.
Apart from that, basically you just need to manage your stress. 'Just.' haha. I know it's tough, but the emphasis on walking and being kinder to myself was really key. I was already walking a lot (I have a dog) but now I let myself go at a slower pace. Before I always pushed myself. I've been pushing myself in every area for YEARS. I'm a classic recovering overachiever. My son and I were listening to a podcast about the benefits of idleness yesterday. He told me I wasn't any good at it and I need to be more like him. I'm working on it!
This is so interesting and quite helpful to me. I'm also a classic overachiever. Maybe I need to look into this program.
HIIT workouts intimidate me, however. I've never done them. Does that mean high-impact? There's no way that I can do high impact at this point in my life and with my obesity.

Tags
aging, intermittent fasting, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, my fitness pal, myfitnesspal, over 50