Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-05-18, 03:13 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I feel the same way. When I get together with friends my age, there is so much talk about aches and pains that I don't have. I honestly don't care what my thighs look like anymore. I'm just happy that my pants are comfortable and I can walk without pain.
Exactly!!!!!

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Word of 2024: Patience
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 03:34 PM  
horsemom2

Aging with or without pain may not be based solely on what you eat or how you move or what you weigh.
Could be more about genetics and/or how we handle stress.

I have had pain issues my whole life and have exercised regularly.
All the weight that crept on in the last 20 years dropped rapidly within 3 months on an anti-inflammatory diet.

Unfortunately, the pain is the same.
I may be lighter and healthier but still feel the same aches and pains.
Granted, if I had not kept moving, the pain may have been even worse.

I have no answers or explanations, other than feeling well has been my focus.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 04:11 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

Barb, I did not mean to imply that genetics doesn't factor in to our experience in aging. None of us knows what cards we are dealt genetically, and I only meant to say that I'm doing what I CAN do to impact my health, always understanding that genetics play a large (if not predominant) role. I'm sorry if my comments seemed to mean that I feel superior to my peers or that their issues are all due to the lack of exercise or something else that they did or didn't do. That's not always the case and it's not what I intended to say. I know I've been lucky so far, and am fortunate to have eliminated a large source of stress in my life, as I don't think I was very good at coping with it.

Watula, Cheeto, Charli, Lux, Merlin, Rudy, Finley the Cat, Hobbes, Winston, and Finley the Dog Fan Girl!

Old 05-05-18, 05:43 PM  
Carol K

Both of my younger sisters have arthritis in their knees. One of them exercises and the other one doesn't. So who knows?
Old 05-05-18, 07:16 PM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
Barb, I did not mean to imply that genetics doesn't factor in to our experience in aging. None of us knows what cards we are dealt genetically, and I only meant to say that I'm doing what I CAN do to impact my health, always understanding that genetics play a large (if not predominant) role. I'm sorry if my comments seemed to mean that I feel superior to my peers or that their issues are all due to the lack of exercise or something else that they did or didn't do. That's not always the case and it's not what I intended to say. I know I've been lucky so far, and am fortunate to have eliminated a large source of stress in my life, as I don't think I was very good at coping with it.
I really did not mean to sound overly defensive so sorry you felt you needed to give an explanation but thank you for that.

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 07:37 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

It's all good, Barb!

When I read your post I realized that I needed to clarify my meaning so I (hopefully) wasn't misunderstood, by you or by others who may not post about it. All the "clean living" I've attempted to do couldn't stave off high blood pressure, since every.single.member. of my family over the age of 35 has it. I'm proud that I was the last to develop it in my 50s, and I would like to tell myself that my lifestyle was instrumental in the delay. And don't get me started about arthritis...

Old 05-05-18, 07:41 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just turned 50 last week! I have gained about 8 pounds since Thanksgiving, I think due in part to a medication issue. However, I have specifically noticed much of this weight gain in my abdomen, which was never really an issue for me in the past.

I have uterine fibroids--several of them quite large--and am wondering if they could be contributing to my tummy-specific weight gain? I actually asked my GYN about this last summer (prior to then, I had gained about 3-4 lbs over the course of a year), and he said NO, but when I Googled, the answer was YES! Anyone have personal experience with this?

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 08:38 PM  
Carol K

Quote:
Originally Posted by cataddict View Post
It's all good, Barb!

When I read your post I realized that I needed to clarify my meaning so I (hopefully) wasn't misunderstood, by you or by others who may not post about it. All the "clean living" I've attempted to do couldn't stave off high blood pressure, since every.single.member. of my family over the age of 35 has it. I'm proud that I was the last to develop it in my 50s, and I would like to tell myself that my lifestyle was instrumental in the delay. And don't get me started about arthritis...
Heart disease runs in my family too. I take medication for my blood pressure and cholesterol. I know there was nothing I could do to prevent it, but I also know the medication by itself will not keep me healthy.
Old 05-05-18, 08:43 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol K View Post
I didn't have hot flashes either, probably because I was taking birth control pills. My only clue was that I would get headaches during the week I wasn't taking the pills and I only had periods every 6 months for two years.
Interesting, Carol--I keep wondering how I will know I am in menopause (or peri) because I take BCP too. And I take them continuously (no off weeks) for my migraines. However, at my GYN annual last year, my doctor told me that he would want me to come off the pills this year due to turning 50.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-18, 09:18 PM  
Carol K

It's funny what different ideas doctors have. My doctor takes his patients who are on birth control pills straight to hormone replacement therapy with no break. And he allowed me to stay on birth control pills until I was 55, because it was a low estrogen pill and HRT would have been too expensive on my insurance plan at the time. When I was 55, I got a job with a different insurance plan and I switched to HRT at that time. My birth control pill had 20 mcg of estrogen and my HRT has 5 mcg of estrogen. Neither of my sisters took birth control pills and menopause was a very different experience for them. I know this is a very controversial issue.

Tags
aging, cancer, fibroids, menopausal weight gain, menopause, menopot, old talk, over 50