Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-04-18, 08:43 PM  
gjv

Is this normal? (A menopause question)

I am post menopausal. (51 years old) My last period was 1-1/2 years ago. In that span I have gone from 107 pounds to 113 pounds.

My exercise habits are the same, and I'm not eating any differently.

If this is typical, what do you all do to fight it? Or do you just give up?
Old 01-04-18, 09:07 PM  
cecififi

yes. sadly.
cecififi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 09:14 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Gayle, I don't have an answer for you but am interested in your question because I'm nearing menopause myself (turning 50 this April).

But personally, I think doctors (especially male doctors!) tend to be too dismissive of female weight gain with age as being "normal." I have had times in the past when my weight has fluctuated without explanation (although I have suspected medications, hormones, and other things), and my GYN has simply talked about how you have to workout and eat less as you get older (which I think most of us on VF already do!). I just think it's a defeatist attitude.

Anyway, I hope you get some good answers! I also added some tags to this thread--you might want to try clicking on them, as there have been some previous threads to address this subject.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 09:27 PM  
Erica H.

About nine months after my last period, I gained six pounds in a month with no changes in my diet or exercise. The only way I was able to get rid of the extra weight was to reduce my calories (sadly).

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-18, 09:53 PM  
gjv

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Gayle, I don't have an answer for you but am interested in your question because I'm nearing menopause myself (turning 50 this April).

But personally, I think doctors (especially male doctors!) tend to be too dismissive of female weight gain with age as being "normal." I have had times in the past when my weight has fluctuated without explanation (although I have suspected medications, hormones, and other things), and my GYN has simply talked about how you have to workout and eat less as you get older (which I think most of us on VF already do!). I just think it's a defeatist attitude.

Anyway, I hope you get some good answers! I also added some tags to this thread--you might want to try clicking on them, as there have been some previous threads to address this subject.
Thanks for the tags!
Old 01-05-18, 08:35 AM  
BunnyHop

Sadly, in my experience, this kind of weight gain is not atypical. Sigh.

Since my hysterectomy, the pad of fat on my belly seems to have grown, but I have made progress in working out and maintaining a healthy diet.

Losing the weight is possible.

For me, it's all about balanced meals, resisting foodish temptations and bad habits. Not quite a d***, but more a lifestyle/choices shift made with deliberation and some planning.
Old 01-05-18, 08:40 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Yes, this is very common. You can lose the weight, but in my experience, it's all about what I eat and how much. There's no way for me to out-exercise post-menopausal weight gain.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 09:06 AM  
Demeris

Because the production of estrogen slows, the adrenals take a real hit. When the adrenals get hit, all the other glands in our endocrine system take a hit. We often begin to produce more insulin than previously. And we gain weight.

Someone previously cited that it's possible to lose weight after menopause, but for me, it required a good, strong look at what was triggering my insulin and how to mitigate that.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 09:15 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I think I may have posted in past threads that it is possible to lose excess weight post menopause. But I agree with everyone that you need to be very vigilant about your food intake, how much, what kind of foods, etc. I did lose it but whenever I get lax about certain foods or amounts, a few lbs are very quick to return .
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-18, 09:17 AM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

And if you have hypothyroidism (like I do), it's even harder not to gain weight.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, menopause, menopot, peri-menopause, perimenopause, weight gain