Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-17, 04:04 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
Not to hijack your post, but for those who gained weight (and I guess those who didn't), did menopause cause you to have high blood pressure issues too?
My b/p and cholesterol increased a bit during this phase and my dr said that’s pretty normal, unfortunately.
Old 10-15-17, 10:16 AM  
Cybersparkle

This thread is so timely, it's scary! I am 49 and will be 50 in December.

Just in the last month, for the first time ever - I got middle rolls lol
Always, I have gained weight in my thighs or more uniformly all over so I still had a waist, but a larger waist with larger hips.

I worked a lot this past summer & didn't have much time to exercise. I expected my normal weight gain - not these middle rolls. Specifically back rolls, right under the bra in the back. I think I am still in shock lol

I did yoga and my rolls got in the way! It felt like I could not bend all the way to capacity and I did not like it at all.

I have made a little headway in the last week (just go by feel, stopped weighing myself several years ago) by starting up Ultimate Yogi again. My pants are a tad less tighter and the rolls dont feel so big, can so yoga side bends a little better now.

What has been hard is the cravings for sweets before each cycle, not a problem when I was younger.Cravings are so much stronger with periomenopause. My SO is happy to enable me to full chubbiness at every turn/meal & I am learning to set better boundaries with that.

The emotional mood swings from hormones & just not knowing what to expect has been quite the rollercoaster ride. No hot flashes yet, no missed cycles yet - but I do have rolls and am working on reducing them, so I haven't given up hope yet to get a waist again!

As a matter of fact, going to do some Leslie now for inspiration. Leslie is over 50 (isnt she?) and looks an achievable healthy solid size without rolls. Exercise TV 3 mile walk

You can't stop the waves, but you can learn how to surf! ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 01:46 PM  
Terry

Quote:
Terry I feel your pain. I had horrible cravings during peri-menopause and gained 20 pounds, suddenly hated working out after years of loving it, developed horrible insomnia, migraines. ugh.... Now I'm 50 and post menopause and the weight has come off. I'm back to loving my workouts, eating well, can handle a treat once in awhile without devouring an entire cake lol! What women have to go through...men would never handle it
Jamie
WOOHOO on both of us recovering from "The M". Even my hot flashes are minor now except a few bad ones every now and then.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-17, 01:49 PM  
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybersparkle View Post
Just in the last month, for the first time ever - I got middle rolls lol
You will be able to get rid of those. If not soon, for sure later when hormones settle down. I had my very first "love handles". I do not miss them now no matter how much love they had in 'em.
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 05:02 AM  
Swissmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
This is me too. I am 53 and have always been slim. In February I notice my stomach felt and looked as if a pillow was stuffed in there. I though it was holiday weight gain. I actually have exercised more (since having a dog) and worked out more often. I couldn't figure out what the problem was. Certainly it must be a huge tumor. Ha! I do eat healthy, but I had a realization in the past couple months, that now I had to give in to portion control. It has everything to do with the food, not the exercise. Sorry guys, but that is the truth. Now there could be a huge discussion whether we blame weight gain on menopause or age. IMO, I think it's age. Again, that's my opinion. I exercise less and eat less. What I mean about exercise less, is not doing as long and grueling workouts as I used to. I still love a good sweatfest workout, but I just don't workout as long. I also walk my dog every single day unless it is raining. Often twice on weekends. I have reduced certain things in my diet. It really wasn't as hard as I though it would be. Since we can't discuss that here, I won't. But it's really commonsense. We just don't want to give in. I can't eat like I use to. I have more energy and sleep great.
This is exactly where I am at. I am 54 and despite being on thyroid medication, exercising, and eating what I thought, in a healthy way, I was getting the dreaded meno mid-drift. Revising my healthy eating plan plus, for me, intermittent fasting has given me back my waistline. I am slimmer, have more energy, and don't work out as hard as I used to.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 07:03 AM  
Tugger31

That's inspiring to hear Swissmom! Thx for sharing.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 07:16 AM  
Swissmom

You are welcome, Tugger! If you are interested, check out Dy Ann Parham on youtube. She has great info. I have no affiliation with her nor am I in her program. Just watch for inspiration.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-17, 10:16 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissmom View Post
This is exactly where I am at. I am 54 and despite being on thyroid medication, exercising, and eating what I thought, in a healthy way, I was getting the dreaded meno mid-drift. Revising my healthy eating plan plus, for me, intermittent fasting has given me back my waistline. I am slimmer, have more energy, and don't work out as hard as I used to.
I sent you a pm.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 06:06 PM  
KateTT
VF Supporter

I just saw this thread.
I'm in the same boat. Have hit menopause full force now at 55. I hate it. I just lost over 50 lbs in the last 3 years and got my flat stomach back. Now it's gone again.
I could cry. I gained 10lbs out of the blue.

I still eat clean - try not to eat crap. I still exercise.

Sounds like all this is pretty common. The one thing that gives me hope are the comments that it may go away once all the hormones have settled down.
I hope so. I've cut my calories about as low as I dare to go without causing 'starvation'.

I have fought off the hot flashes for the most part with some Aruvedic products. I'm not irritable. My periods are very erratic after being totally regular before. I can deal with that. I DON'T like the pooch that's forming.

Oh well...thanks for listening to me cry and whine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one but sad to know many of us are dealing with this.

HUGS to all!

When your body screams, tell it to shut up! Body Pump

"Where I am today is where my mind put me. Where I'll be tomorrow is where my mind put me." - Billy Blanks

I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May '09!
I did it again! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! Feb - May 2018!
Beachbody On Demand 80 Day Obsession - Full Rotation June - September 2018
Third time's a charm! I'm a SHOCKING GRADUATE of STS!!!! July-Oct 2020!
KateTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-17, 08:19 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateTT View Post
I just saw this thread.
I'm in the same boat. Have hit menopause full force now at 55. I hate it. I just lost over 50 lbs in the last 3 years and got my flat stomach back. Now it's gone again.
I could cry. I gained 10lbs out of the blue.

I still eat clean - try not to eat crap. I still exercise.

Sounds like all this is pretty common. The one thing that gives me hope are the comments that it may go away once all the hormones have settled down.
I hope so. I've cut my calories about as low as I dare to go without causing 'starvation'.

I have fought off the hot flashes for the most part with some Aruvedic products. I'm not irritable. My periods are very erratic after being totally regular before. I can deal with that. I DON'T like the pooch that's forming.

Oh well...thanks for listening to me cry and whine. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one but sad to know many of us are dealing with this.

HUGS to all!
{HUGS}}
Right now I am doing a reset following the book, Metabolic Effect (Amazon). There have been a few threads here and there on them. I just started Monday so too soon to tell, but the concept is you do 20 minutes of strength rest-based training 2 to 3 times per week. The paper workouts are in the book. Walking every day is recommended to help lower stress hormones, and 2 HitT workouts are optional during the week. The book tells you what sort of "burner" you are. I fell into the muscle burning camp which explains a lot to me. I will say that since I started cutting back on my extreme workouts I have been feeling a lot better. I have started sleeping better and have more energy in the mornings. I did sign up for their streaming to get a better feel for the workouts, and I am still waiting to get access. Either they haven't given me access or I am doing something wrong. I've been using my rebounder for the short HiiT workouts, or Lekfit here and there. It was very hard for me to get my mind around cutting back to a 20 minute workout but this is very doable, and I never thought this sort of circuit style workout would appeal to me but I have enjoyed it so far. I am still going to have a leg day though, can't give that up. There is a lot of free info. on their web site http://metaboliceffect.com

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, post menopause