Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-28-16, 12:29 PM  
Shelbygirl

I am 51 and in perimenopause. I went 11 months without a period and then, bam, it came back for four straight months. Now, I've gone two months again without.

Anyhoo, I gained 10 to 15 pounds and I barely could squeeze into my pants. My company offered a 10 week at-work Weight Watchers program, so I joined. After the 10 weeks were up I was down 10 pounds. I then continued to follow the program on my own. Over the past six months, I have lost 30 pounds in total (and dropped two pant sizes).

I did ramp up my work outs too a bit (going from working out three days a week to four or five), but I really believe it has been about food choices for me. (I pretty much gave up cheese, sugar, pasta and bread). Best thing I ever did was to buy a spiralizer for making vegetable noodles.

So to answer your original question, I'd say the priority is making smart and healthy food choices.

Good luck!
Shelbygirl
Shelbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 12:35 PM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Add me in, although I swear I've been in perimenopause for over 10 years and am going to still have a random cycle until I'm 80. As it is, the earliest I'll be in menopause is 56, what the heck.

Anyway, I've always been borderline between being high end of normal overweight and now, my menopot is awful. I've gained 15 pounds in 2 years, and at 5 2 that is unpleasant. I have a ton of places to improve, but that isn't really my focus at the moment.

I do have a question- I want to buy some clothes that I feel good in- but need some inspiration. Anyone have ideas of where to see clothing ideas for oddly shaped women- I swear my legs, butt and middle are different sizes, with my waist being the absolute worst. I'm also not plus sized, so even though I have a plus shape, things I think look nice for plus sizes don't seem to come in my size. I have a wedding coming up and would like to buy something I feel at least a little nice in. Plus, I'd like to feel more attractive day to day.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 12:37 PM  
Juliepie
VF Supporter

I'm perimenopausal* AND hypothyroid, and I weigh more than I ever have. My doctors aren't worried about my weight, but it bugs me. (I'm 53.)

Since I've read this thread, I feel more hopeful and less bugged about it. Thanks, ladies!

*I actually may have reached menopause but I'm not sure because I had an ablation, so my periods stopped artificially. I guess I'll have to talk with my gyne about it.

Surely a person of sense would submit to anything, like exercise, so as to obtain a well functioning mind and a pleasant, happy life. --Socrates
Juliepie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 03:00 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
I am 51 and in perimenopause. I went 11 months without a period and then, bam, it came back for four straight months. Now, I've gone two months again without.

Anyhoo, I gained 10 to 15 pounds and I barely could squeeze into my pants. My company offered a 10 week at-work Weight Watchers program, so I joined. After the 10 weeks were up I was down 10 pounds. I then continued to follow the program on my own. Over the past six months, I have lost 30 pounds in total (and dropped two pant sizes).

I did ramp up my work outs too a bit (going from working out three days a week to four or five), but I really believe it has been about food choices for me. (I pretty much gave up cheese, sugar, pasta and bread). Best thing I ever did was to buy a spiralizer for making vegetable noodles.

So to answer your original question, I'd say the priority is making smart and healthy food choices.

Good luck!
Shelbygirl
I just turned 50 last month and my doctor is a couple years younger and she said what worked for her was Weight Watchers. I workout 5 or 6 days a week, but my diet stinks. I've never heard of a spiralizer until now, so I'll have to look into that. Pasta is a huge part of my diet and giving it up entirely will probably never happen, but spiralizing veggies might help. Thanks for the suggestion.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 03:05 PM  
Dabbadooey

I'm 57 and still no sign of menopause. I'm at Walmart on the tampon aisle with all the teenagers. My sister-in-law says I need to go to the doctor.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 03:55 PM  
SueT

Dabbadooey, I'll be 55 in December and still get my period, even though it's not as regular as it used to be. It feels like I'm going to have it forever. My husband tells me it means I'm still young!

Sue
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 09:35 PM  
Izzy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
I think I might be up 15 lbs now I went a whole 10 months without a period and just had a little spotting last week. So I guess my countdown starts again the longest I'd been before that was 6 months. I actually have a DD who is almost 12 so I'm wondering if her emerging puberty hormones are conflicting with my menopause hormone changes. I have heard the process of menopause described as puberty in reverse.
I am pretty sure this happened to me. I didn't get my period for a year. I was one of the parent chaperones for my daughters soccer team. We were on a 10 hour bus trip to Memphis for a tournament. At a bathroom stop I got my period. I was stunned. I told my daughter who of course told the entire team "my mom got her first period in a year." The team proceeds to talk about this at the rest stop. I am pretty sure it was being on that bus with all those hormones because I didn't get it again.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-16, 10:07 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

A couple people have asked when I knew it was time to start dieting. Frankly, I don’t recall exactly. I believe it was about two years. I do know my doctor was the one who made the determination and it was after I was fully through menopause – no more accidents or spotting. I tried to eat healthy, exercised most days and logged calories.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 09:06 AM  
marki64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelbygirl View Post
I am 51 and in perimenopause. I went 11 months without a period and then, bam, it came back for four straight months. Now, I've gone two months again without.Shelbygirl
Me too. I just got mine after 10 months and I had some pain about a week before I got it. I didn't know what was going on. I haven't gained weight thankfully, but I recommend some intense circuit workouts. I think that is key. Keep the metabolism going. We got a puppy this summer and she keeps me moving. I walk her at least 1 long walk per day, 2 on the weekend, along with my workouts. I still do intense workouts.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-16, 10:32 AM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marki64 View Post
Me too. I just got mine after 10 months and I had some pain about a week before I got it. I didn't know what was going on. I haven't gained weight thankfully, but I recommend some intense circuit workouts. I think that is key. Keep the metabolism going. We got a puppy this summer and she keeps me moving. I walk her at least 1 long walk per day, 2 on the weekend, along with my workouts. I still do intense workouts.
This scares me because I am at ten months now and was assuming I'd be done and now I'm reading of so many women who had to start all over again.

I do intense workouts and am conscious of staying active, but it's really about diet for me. I can't believe how I started gaining weight so easily all of a sudden. I can't exercise any more than I already do, so I have to cut back on calories to maintain my weight.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause