Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-16, 08:24 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I'm another one who had the perimenopausal weight gain, mood swings, cravings, hot flashes etc. Once menopause finally arrived I was able to lose over 40 lbs.(the weight I had gained and then some), control my eating and exercise more. So from my experience, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 08:48 AM  
noodles

I agree with summer breeze, there is a light at the end of the tunnel although difficult to see when one is in the midst of these symptoms. I hit menopause quite early and at 49 am already post menopause and finally feeling great. But in my early forties I had horrible anxiety, insomnia, no desire to workout when I used to be one who exercised intensely everyday, developed an eating disorder, then ended up gaining 15 or so pounds. Now I've lost the weight, love to workout again, have more confidence in myself, and even got to be in a commercial recently for a local spa - and my fake husband in the shoot wasn't too hard on the eyes either lol! I will say nutrition at this age is the key and weighs more heavily than what I do at the gym but we're all different.
noodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:35 PM  
Swissmom

Look up Menopause Barbie on you tube. She is a gyno who provides great information about menopause.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 03:50 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I feel you, OP! I gained nearly 20lbs the winter before last and I honestly could not account for it. I also stopped having periods for several months. No other symptoms, but really, no period for a good six months, I'd say.

NOTHING I did would shift the weight. I even went very, very low carb for a few weeks and lost maybe a pound. Way too much 'deprivation' for only a pound! So I read up on peri weight gain, and yes, that's when (as Aunt Famous mentioned) I learned that it's typical for women to gain around 10lbs. during peri-menopause, so i tried to just accept it and make peace with it.

Well, I couldn't. I actually went shopping earlier this summer and I could not believe what I saw in the mirror of the fitting room (I don't have a full length mirror at home.) I didn't even recognize myself.

So the next day I decided to try intermittent fasting (basically just not eating for 24 hours.) I have lost almost 15lbs. this summer. I was and still am completely shocked. This is the *only* thing that has worked for me.

I know this violates diet guidelines, so I won't say any more. If anyone's interested, I have discussed it a fair bit on the Facebook group VF cupboard. I'm also going to post about it on my blog one of these days, so stay tuned!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 05:15 PM  
Swissmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post

So the next day I decided to try intermittent fasting (basically just not eating for 24 hours.) I have lost almost 15lbs. this summer. I was and still am completely shocked. This is the *only* thing that has worked for me.

I know this violates diet guidelines, so I won't say any more. If anyone's interested, I have discussed it a fair bit on the Facebook group VF cupboard. I'm also going to post about it on my blog one of these days, so stay tuned!
I am very interested in reading all about it on your blog. I don't eat after 6 pm so this sounds doable for me.
Swissmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 06:28 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swissmom View Post
I am very interested in reading all about it on your blog. I don't eat after 6 pm so this sounds doable for me.
Ok, when I write a post about it I'll mention it here.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 06:33 PM  
ncl

Interesting discussion. I am in the perimenopause phase, but still having regular periods. I am 47, will shortly turn 48. I am noticing a little more belly and a little less hips and have been a pear traditionally so that is new for me. I have noticed some changes in my hair (some wave and curl) and am reading with fascination. My mother did not have a smooth menopause. I have learned to really take care of myself hormonally in the last few years by balancing my blood sugar better, managing stress better (regular massage, regular meditation), and eating a wide variety of food and lots and lots of veggies. I hope that helps me sail through. I have listened to all the words of wisdom. I have been trying to lose some weight that I gained through just plain ol eating too much, and now I think I better take it off while I can (if I can)!!!
ncl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-16, 06:42 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Nuggie's Auntie, I don't do social media but enjoy your blog. I hope to learn more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I'm another one who had the perimenopausal weight gain, mood swings, cravings, hot flashes etc. Once menopause finally arrived I was able to lose over 40 lbs.(the weight I had gained and then some), control my eating and exercise more. So from my experience, there is definitely light at the end of the tunnel.
Bless you!! .... My weight had been pretty consistent. Then the scale suddenly jumped up by 8 to 9 lbs. in one week last December. I thought my scale was broken but noticed my loose-fitting clothes suddenly became very tight during the same week. So my doctor examined me, ran tests, and learned about other symptoms occurring during the same week of the abrupt weight gain. The diagnosis: "Welcome to perimenopause!" (Doctor: "Do you have night sweats?" Me: "No." Doctor: "When you wake up, do you find all the bed covers thrown off of you, at the foot of the bed?" Me: "Yes, and that's new for me." Doctor (writing on notepad): "Night sweats ...")

Reading your post is encouraging. It supports what my sisters, sisters-in-law and older friends are telling me. Most say the weight did come off once things settled down.
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 07:31 AM  
flamingoo

Sorry to veer just a bit and I know it's different for everyone, but at what age(APX) does perimenopause start? My mom started at an early age. I'll be 42 in February and like over night I've gained weight, hungry is ridiculous and hot all the time. Recently had some hormonal testing done and testosterone is low for someone my age. Ugh . Oh and someone up tread mentioned the lack of wanting to exercise. That was me all summer!
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-16, 07:42 AM  
Diana3271

Earlier in the year/last year I had some hormonal testing done. My numbers were that of a post menopausal woman. I had 2 periods in January, one that started at the end of May and went a bit into June and that's it for this year. I have been dealing with night sweats for several years now, but no hot flashes. The night sweats seemed to have calmed down a bit this year. Last year I was able to lose (weight) down close to where I wanted to be. The Christmas holidays hit and that's when we take our long vacation until the first of the year. I have not been able to drop back down to where I want to be so I have 10-15 pounds that I am wanting to get rid of. This weight doesn't seem to want to budge, so I am accepting it for now and not letting it get to me. My energy does seem lower than it has in the past and everything seems to be a bit of a struggle. I have ongoing PMS symptoms, though. I will have all the symptoms of a pending period but nothing will happen. It will calm down and then start all over again. My Mom stopped her period in her early 40's. I am 48. The Dr. asked if my Mom was a smoker and she was at the time of Meno. but stopped later in life. The Dr. mentioned that smokers seem to stop their period earlier. I have never smoked. I did take BCP much longer than my Mom did and I did so to help control my periods since they were so bad.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
menopause, perimenopause, weight gain