Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-22-14, 12:49 PM  
lorajc

so basically nobody here is really telling me of results gained with barre rotations? if so, I'm not seeing it?
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 12:52 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Stephanie, I knew you'd be one of the first posts here.

lorajc, results, um yeah, her post mentioned losing pounds and inches, if that's what you're looking for. I can say I've experienced the same. Years ago, I did the Lotte Berk workouts almost daily, and DH said it made a HUGE difference in my lower half. That seat work firmed up my "thutt" like nothing else!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:00 PM  
hotncmom

They're not around much anymore, but Trishthedish and DaisySunshine had great results with Ballet Body.

I can't speak to TA results, because I always get piriformis/lower back spasms when I try to do her stuff (so why do I keep buying her DVD's?) so I haven't been able to stick with it long enough for results. My best results come when I'm doing either barre or yoga or some blend of that combined with a bit of floorwork and walking. The secret formula for me is mat work + light weights + unweighted arms for upper body and walking + barre + floorwork for lower body.

I also had good lower body results with a BBL rotation. I use H&T frequently for floorwork even if I'm doing mainly barre.

The overall secret is that this combination is gentle enough to keep my appetite normalized. That's really the key for me. Experience has shown that if I up the intensity too much, I will eat everything that isn't nailed down.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:00 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorajc View Post
so basically nobody here is really telling me of results gained with barre rotations? if so, I'm not seeing it?
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for if you don't see results all over my posts!! Like Pratima, said, I did lose pounds and inches, but I also gained all sort of other benefits. I feel very strongly that 'results' should encompass more than just 'I got smaller.'

And I'm glad others experience the lalalas!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:02 PM  
slysam

Others have mentioned results. I didn't I was just responding to the heavier weights in P57. When I did barre a lot I lost a few pounds (not many) and lost some inches all over. I also became strong enough to do full on-toes pushups for the first time ever. My balance and core strength improved and I found my dancing and cardio easier after a while so it may have contributed to my aerobic fitness or my muscle endurance--hard to say which. I also did daily cardio when I was doing barre three times a week. It also made my legs look good. I weighed a little more then, but when I look at a picture of myself in shorts from the period where barre was my main strength work--my legs look much more toned than they do now despite being a heavier weight than now. I did add on a little traditional strength after P57 at that time--usually deadlifts and chest presses. The chest gets worked in the 2 sets of pushups, but I didn't feel the pecs felt as worked as the rest of my body. And I felt I needed heavier resistance than my bodyweight for my glutes and hamstrings. So I guess I did add a couple sets of a couple heavier strength exercises afterwards.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:07 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I'm not exactly sure what you're looking for if you don't see results all over my posts!! Like Pratima, said, I did lose pounds and inches, but I also gained all sort of other benefits. I feel very strongly that 'results' should encompass more than just 'I got smaller.'

And I'm glad others experience the lalalas!
Agreed. I don't know what's missing? I posted results as well. And the mental benefits are huge with this. I guess if we're not saying I lost ______ pounds there aren't results?

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:14 PM  
hotncmom

More specific results for me - I went down in size from a tight 6 to a loose 4. I felt confident in a bathing suit (tankini) for the first time since I was a teenager. My butt and legs looked so good. I felt really great, too. Not tired and sore all the time like I did with other types of training.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 01:20 PM  
eannem

i only see real changes on the scale when i work at my diet. that being said, i have been doing various barre programs for a few years now and it has definitely changed the shape of my body. i have never stuck with ta long enough to know what that would do bc i cant live without the barre workouts. i had done firm workouts then cathe workouts for years before diving into barre workouts.

i agree with previous posters- if you do barre consistently and often you will see changes.
eannem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 02:01 PM  
sunday

Not sure what results you're looking for as I see lots of them here. Are you looking for large amounts of weight lost? That happens with diet. Plus if you do any one method consistently you will see results. Plus there are TONS of barre results threads if you search for them.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 02:58 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

I dug out my copy of the July 2012 P57 Challenge calendar, which is when I first started doing barre exclusively, and here are my results:

I lost about 3lbs. (I really didn't have significant weight to lose.)

I lost nearly an inch from my chest (measured just under the armpit.)

1.25" from my waist

1" from my hips

about .5" from each arm

about .5" from each thigh.

That was from my first month. I really don't weigh and measure myself often, and really didn't have much I needed to lose. Mostly I just wanted to get fitter and feel better, and I did, immensely!

Honestly, though, I'm not sure how much other people lose is really that significant. Everyone is starting out at a different place and maybe has different goals.

One of these days I'll weigh and measure myself. I'd be curious to see any changes now that I've been bellying up the barre for a while. There are soooo many improvements to my body and my workouts that I don't need empirical evidence to see! Barre is still very challenging but I'm so much better at it now. I get so much out of every workout because I know more how to do it, how to get into position correctly, etc.

Ok, I have to get my son up from his nap, but I could really go on and on about the joys of barre! And I do, on my blog!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre results, diet, results