Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-12, 12:02 PM  
duenneschen

ladies who've achieved success with barre workouts...

do you utilize protein powder in your diets?

i'm just wondering if you can get such definition without "enhancers" like protein powder.

thoughts?
duenneschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 01:17 PM  
topfitmama

You need to lose the fat covering the muscles to achieve definition. Of course, a diet for fat loss and muscle gain is going to be fairly high in protein, so I guess many people use protein powder.

Personally, I saw some upper body and ab definition that hadn't been there before when I was doing P57 consistently, and I wasn't using any protein powders. My lower body holds onto fat and it takes a lot longer to see any definition there.
I don't know if discussion of protein powders is allowed on here, so I'll leave it at that.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 01:45 PM  
slysam

I never thought of this before. I think protein is beneficial, of course, but whether it is from powder or food sources I am not sure that the powder has any special benefit. But when I was doing a lot of p57, I really didn't know much about barre or TA's exercise philosophy, etc. I had taken dance classes in the past and it resembled some of the conditioning and I knew my legs respond well to that type of training so among my first dvds were the volume 1 set of p57. Well, I pretty much followed the guidance for lifting weights, I had no clue people approach barre different. I only did barre 3 or 4 times a week (on alternate days), I still did daily cardio, I used the heaviest weights I could (for me 5, 8, 10 at that time and I dropped down when it was too much with all the reps), and I had a protein smoothie right after my p57 workout. I think I had really good fitness gains and some inch loss and my legs looked their best. But my diet wasn't great, I was probably eating too much for real weight loss results and I suspect the protein smoothie was contributing to the extra calories. I stayed about the same in weight or just lost a small amount, but I did get stronger compared to where I started (never could do a straight legged pushup before) and lost an inch from my thighs, and a little from my arms and waist so I had some fat loss.

I never really thought of whether protein had anything to do with it though. I don't use protein powder very much now but I have some on hand in case I want a smoothie. I prefer the unflavored, unsweetened kinds just because I find them more versatile for mixing into things.

Last edited by slysam; 07-10-12 at 01:47 PM. Reason: typos!
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 01:50 PM  
Sophie

agree with topfitmama -though I am the opposite - I get definition first in lower body, it takes much longer in the upper body. Also agree that definition is primarily a function of fat loss.

No protein powder.

Currently, I have much less definition in my legs now than at the same time last year, even if I'm essentially the same size and weight. I haven't done barre since the fall, so I do think it does make a difference. I was doing mostly kettlebells, yoga, and ballet body at about this time last year.

I think most people do get enough protein to build muscle through normal balanced nutrition with supplementing with powders. But like others, will steer away from specific diet talk.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:11 PM  
kitty12

I sometime eat protein bars or protein drink, but it isn't for my muscles. I just found it is good fuel for my workouts if I have it before, and I found the more I exercise, the better I seem to feel if I have higher protein.
kitty12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 02:47 PM  
duenneschen

my goal of this post was not to discuss weight-loss but more about muscle definition visibility, i believe that fits in with the guidelines, but if it doesn't i apologize.

i understand muscle visibility and cutting fat really is dependent on your diet, more so than exercise although both go hand in hand and by diet i mean what one eats, not the act of dieting. i've had several barre instructors recommend taking a protein shake after a session so i was just wondering whether anyone on these boards had/does so and if they noticed any significant results.

thank you for everyones input.
duenneschen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-12, 04:20 PM  
slysam

My understanding is that this discussion is within bounds. There have been many discussions on fueling workouts, exchanging recipes, which protein powder people like or don't the taste of, which devices and ingredients people like for smoothies. I think it is more detailed discussions/debates about one's preferred approach to nutrition and why that approach is best that is an issue. But perhaps it skirts a gray area.

When I use protein powers at the moment, it is mainly to make fruit smoothies a little more satiating for me as I happen to enjoy smoothies but still feel hungry after if I don't add either some protein or fat in some form. There are other ways besides powders to do this so it depends on preference. I have no clue if you need protein powder for definition, my guess is yes, not if you are getting enough protein already. There are plenty of people who are fit, defined, etc who do not use them and plenty who do. Whether it is personally beneficial to you might just depend, really with all programs it is that way. How many countless threads are there mentioning that x workout/rotation/fitness genre gave one person excellent results and poor results or no results for another person. I don't know whether they are beneficial to me or not. As mentioned, I did have some progress/results while using them but I can't really attribute it to the protein powder, and maybe I would have had better results without as it would have lowered my total calorie intake for the day--a little. Hard to say, I am curious what others have found. But my experience makes me think it is optional, not required as I have continued to progress without using them daily.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 01:31 AM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Nope. I had results with barre on my normal diet. But results are a subjective relative thing. But I was very happy with how quickly my body shaped up and I looked a lot better quickly, even though I still had a lot of fat to lose.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 07:44 AM  
ellenalesa

I could have written this post myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyond.omega View Post
Nope. I had results with barre on my normal diet. But results are a subjective relative thing. But I was very happy with how quickly my body shaped up and I looked a lot better quickly, even though I still had a lot of fat to lose.
I was 202 when I took my first Callanetics class. I was the biggest person in the room but I was very determined. I was in the process of cleaning up my eating at the time, but I had a good 40+ (ok, maybe 60, LOL) extra weight on me. The results were dramatic. People were commenting on it, and saying that they could see the difference from week to week.

When my eating is clean, the results are really great. When my eating is not so great, I still enjoy the workouts.
ellenalesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-12, 10:25 AM  
flamingoo

Not to totally change the content of this post( sorry) How many times a week do you a do barre workouts to see results w/out doing them too many times a week and having negative results? Does that make sense? I feel for my body if I do them too often- it has a reverse effect on my body.
flamingoo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results, protein powder