Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-22-11, 08:26 PM  
ellaenchanted

I like barre but love TA. I prefer the larger range of motion and barre can have a bit too much quad and calf work for me. I do both.
ellaenchanted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 08:28 PM  
dickensgirl

I would just like to add- & I don't mean to be a downer- but TA's Meta, with all the work on hands & knees, has proved difficult even too painful for several people here. And I am still healing a badly inflamed bursa in my hip from HipCentric that has set me back exercise-wise for a number of months. Perhaps I am unusual anatomically as my PT says the "bad" hip is higher than the other (which she's working on) & my form may not have been the best, but considering that Meta seems to have been aimed at beginners or at least NOT advanced exercisers I do feel it has serious injury potential.On the other hand, ITA with the others that barre workouts can be tough on knees, which was one area TA didn't aggravate for me
Don't get me wrong: despite my injury, I think TA has a valid & unique approach, particularly if you are able to employ ALL areas: food, cardio, muscle work. If you tried Mat, for example, & liked it, or any of the numerous webisodes out there, I believe you would know whether you are a "Tracey-ite" !!
Barre as a category now has SO many flavors, as it were: Fast/manic with P57, Cardio Barre, Booty Barre to the slow, serene Fluidities & then so MANY others in between that if you're inclined that way anyways, you'll find someone whose approach & style fits YOU.
Tracy, however, is probably a love-hate, take or leave.

Well, that's just my 2 cents

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:40 PM  
AKatF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickensgirl View Post
I would just like to add- & I don't mean to be a downer- but TA's Meta, with all the work on hands & knees, has proved difficult even too painful for several people here. And I am still healing a badly inflamed bursa in my hip from HipCentric that has set me back exercise-wise for a number of months. Perhaps I am unusual anatomically as my PT says the "bad" hip is higher than the other (which she's working on) & my form may not have been the best, but considering that Meta seems to have been aimed at beginners or at least NOT advanced exercisers I do feel it has serious injury potential.On the other hand, ITA with the others that barre workouts can be tough on knees, which was one area TA didn't aggravate for me
Don't get me wrong: despite my injury, I think TA has a valid & unique approach, particularly if you are able to employ ALL areas: food, cardio, muscle work. If you tried Mat, for example, & liked it, or any of the numerous webisodes out there, I believe you would know whether you are a "Tracey-ite" !!
Barre as a category now has SO many flavors, as it were: Fast/manic with P57, Cardio Barre, Booty Barre to the slow, serene Fluidities & then so MANY others in between that if you're inclined that way anyways, you'll find someone whose approach & style fits YOU.
Tracy, however, is probably a love-hate, take or leave.

Well, that's just my 2 cents

Jeri
I think that all exercise methods prove painful or dangerous for some... for me traditional bar work kills my knees and back. Don't know why. Also any moves on my toes in barre work kills my arches (since I am flat footed). I think the key is knowing your body- what works and doesnt work for you not just for vanity, but also for fitness and pain and health.

TBM & TA
AKatF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-11, 09:47 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKatF View Post
I think that all exercise methods prove painful or dangerous for some... for me traditional bar work kills my knees and back. Don't know why. Also any moves on my toes in barre work kills my arches (since I am flat footed). I think the key is knowing your body- what works and doesnt work for you not just for vanity, but also for fitness and pain and health.
This is true. I had ACL surgery on my right knee. I can't do deep plies anymore. So I do plies mid-range. I still like thigh dancing but I can't go really low on those either.
Old 03-22-11, 10:18 PM  
Buzzer

Barre work made me feel like I was run over by a truck... every joint in my body ached. I did the "oof " getting in & out of the car. I didn't put two & two together until I stopped my barre obsession and went on to STS and suddenly, wha-la! My joints stopped aching. My joints don't ache with TA, she's bigger range of motion.
I do barre still, but only occasionally. My body can't handle it too often. I LOVE P57, and even Cardio Barre!
I've been doing TA pretty much every day for 33 days, and no joint aches.
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 03:49 AM  
cristinalatina

Good points Jeri. I admit I've only tried Tracy Anderson's Mat and Post Pregnancy workouts. I did Perfect Design I just once and I thought I'd die, it was too hard for me! I have no experience with the Meta series either. So you have a very valid point there.
Old 03-23-11, 06:43 AM  
kariev34

Shelley: Just looked at your blog. You look amazing! Your results have been awsome! I can't believe those changes have occured in such a short amount of time just from TA. Keep it up!
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:01 AM  
momofcha

I'll chime in that I do like them both. Shelley's post was super informative and spot on. I love P57 and try and do one about 3x week. I am also doing TA's Mat sprinkled in here and there because I'm trying to test her method. Well, I'm about a month in and let me tell you - I am noticing huge differences. My abs are getting flatter by the day - and I have tried for YEARS and I mean YEARS to get these abs to flatten in some way and they never did - UNTIL now.... I didn't really have love handles, but the very slight one I had is gone - I can feel and I notice the difference however slight it is.
The only difference I can attribute this to is TA. I'm still following my cardio/strength alternating days. I'm still doing CLX/kettlebells for strength and my "cardio" is P57. I've added in some yoga about 3 nights/week and I'm doing TA about 3x/week as well. I do feel like I'm working out a lot more - with the addition of the yoga and the extra TA workout some evenings - but it's working. I'm hooked. But I'm not going to stop what I have been doing because I've gotten great results from that as well.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-11, 09:53 AM  
ssgilby

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Shelley: Just looked at your blog. You look amazing! Your results have been awsome! I can't believe those changes have occured in such a short amount of time just from TA. Keep it up!
Thank you! I think my Flat Belly Diet way of eating has also contributed a lot! However, I honestly believe my body is changing (in a good way) from Metamorphosis. I've never stuck with a "pure Tracy" rotation before, and I'm so glad I decided to start. Meta (combined with pretty decent eating) is doing me a world of good!
Old 03-23-11, 10:01 AM  
dickensgirl

Shelley, you are so beautiful, outside AND in- you have a sweet, generous heart & spirit But I simply HAVE to say this: I would die & go to Heaven if I looked like you, after OR before

Jeri

Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the things you did~ Mark Twain
dickensgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results, tracy anderson, tracy anderson method, tracy anderson results