Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-07-11, 08:24 PM  
fitmommytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
Ok, so I have been pondering all day about barre. This is going to sound weird but maybe I'm just not that into barre???? This may be why I haven't been able to stick with any of them. I think I may be really "wanting" to like barre because of all the wonderful posts and someway believing that this is the miracle workout. Does that make sense? I think i'm going crazy
Have you done any barre? I ask because I felt the same way last year - "meh" when the topic of barre came up. It didn't interest or excite me at all, so I didn't try it. Then I found a fluidity bar (w/dvd's) on craigslist and also splurged on P57 - mainly because of all the "barre talk" here (so yes, a I caved to all the wonderful reccs from VF ladies) and once I started it, I loved it. I still do "cardio" (love kickboxing) but barre is such a nice change and is rounding up and jacking up my butt faster than when I wasn't doing it! I think the results (body shape change) is what keeps me motivated, but I also love how strong and *tall* I feel after doing them.

If you haven't done any, you really need to just try them - I checked out some Lotte Berk and Bar Method from our public library and liked them but I REALLY like P57 (and anything faster paced like that). P57 fully converted me to a Barre fan.

"Why are they smiling? This is hard!" - my 6 year old son, doing Jackie Warner's Xtreme Time Saver 30M workout with me (with his cute little 1lb weights!)
"This is not fake sweat - it's all real!" Chalene from CLX
fitmommytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 08:44 PM  
kariev34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmommytx View Post
Have you done any barre? I ask because I felt the same way last year - "meh" when the topic of barre came up. It didn't interest or excite me at all, so I didn't try it. Then I found a fluidity bar (w/dvd's) on craigslist and also splurged on P57 - mainly because of all the "barre talk" here (so yes, a I caved to all the wonderful reccs from VF ladies) and once I started it, I loved it. I still do "cardio" (love kickboxing) but barre is such a nice change and is rounding up and jacking up my butt faster than when I wasn't doing it! I think the results (body shape change) is what keeps me motivated, but I also love how strong and *tall* I feel after doing them.

If you haven't done any, you really need to just try them - I checked out some Lotte Berk and Bar Method from our public library and liked them but I REALLY like P57 (and anything faster paced like that). P57 fully converted me to a Barre fan.
I've only done P57 2-3 times so I guess I really haven't done much.I do like the workout but in a way feel guilty like I should be spending my time doing something more "efficient", like the experts say weights/cardio. I do like how I feel after doing them. Like you said, I feel taller afterwards. I'm so burnt out from traditional lifting and in all honesty, AWT/circuits just exhaust me to no end and I end up dreading them. I can say I don't dread doing barre and like you, I like kickboxing as well. How often are you doing barre workouts?
kariev34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:38 PM  
Cerulea

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisarah View Post
Here's my completely untested hypothesis but based on years of watching women at various gyms "weight training". I believe the majority of women don't use either heavy enough weights in relation to the number of reps they are doing. Ergo, they aren't working hard enough. For example, they've been told to do 2 sets of 15 reps & they do so, with hardly a strain. I think with 'barre' & other high rep workouts, you are forced to go to exhaustion. And i believe that is the key to results - especially with those who are coming from a sedentary lifestyle (as are many success stories featured on websites). Just my 2 cents! & i'm sure it doesn't account for everyone's success with barre.
I agree with this to a degree -- I do consistently work harder with barre than I did when in the gym on my own. But I've also done programs like p90x where I've pushed myself with heavier weights, and I've gotten better results with barre. This seems to be especially true in my lower body. Also, with barre I am significantly less hungry overall, which makes a big difference for me.
Cerulea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 09:58 PM  
Alan

I have no comments on barre workouts, but the person who wrote the following at the Fluidity Website does not know what they are talking about. "Afterburn" (also known as Excess Post-Exercise Oxygen Consumption) has nothing to do with repairing microtears in muscle fibers. It refers to the "oxygen consumption above resting level that the body is utilizing to return itself to its pre-exercise state." In other words, as your body attempts to recover after a strenuous workout it continues to burn more calories even after your workout is long finished. This "afterburn" phenomenon can be seen after intense bouts of either cardio or resistance training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acta5534 View Post
From the Fluidity Website.

Furthermore, when you strength train, you make small tears in your muscle tissue. Your body’s process of repairing these small tears creates muscle and expends calories; this process, known as the “Afterburn”, is the reason you continue to burn calories for up to 48 hours after a Fluidity workout – compared to just two hours after a cardio workout.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:38 PM  
marissajd

Why has barre been more effective for me than other types of workouts?

Because it's the first form of exercise that I've loved enough to stick with. I've been taking live classes for the last 18 months or so and 99% of the time, I can't wait to go to class. I think there's just something about barre that really clicked with my (slightly) Type A personality -- something about the structure of the workouts, the precision of the exercises, and that process of working to perfect my form, little by little.
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-11, 10:48 PM  
sophie kat

I don't really know why barre has worked for me when traditional toning or weight workouts didn't. I did toning work as often as I do barre now, and but barre has gave me better results pretty quickly. I did cardio with both types, but I like how I look and feel with barre.

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 10:57 AM  
fitmommytx

Quote:
Originally Posted by kariev34 View Post
I've only done P57 2-3 times so I guess I really haven't done much.I do like the workout but in a way feel guilty like I should be spending my time doing something more "efficient", like the experts say weights/cardio. I do like how I feel after doing them. Like you said, I feel taller afterwards. I'm so burnt out from traditional lifting and in all honesty, AWT/circuits just exhaust me to no end and I end up dreading them. I can say I don't dread doing barre and like you, I like kickboxing as well. How often are you doing barre workouts?
I felt the same way originally! Not feeling like they were "efficient". I used to feel like they were too long (sometimes I still feel that way) and I'd get "antsy" getting through them. I kind of felt like if I wasn't working hard (aerobically or lifting heavy) I was shortchanging myself and not doing all I could with the little workout time I have.

But I think I may have had a little burnout too from traditional lifting that also pushed me toward them. I also read even more barre threads here and I think it finally clicked in my head to just give them a chance. Once I did (and that means I give the workout 100% without any attitude!) and then saw how I felt (and saw a little butt liftage) I am hooked.

I do them 2-3x per week. Honestly I would do them more but I am all about the "balance" so I feel like I need to get in other things too. Plus I know I'd be bored if I did them everyday anyway, so it's all good.

Circuits - I have a hard time with those too - dread factor galore. It's funny, Jillian M makes great *short* efficient, effective workouts - something you think I would love - but I'd rather pop in a 45 min (or more) kickboxing workout then hers! I also think some shorter workouts are kind of "choppy" - maybe b/c they are trying to get so much in a short time, I don't know - and the lack of flow really turns me off.

"Why are they smiling? This is hard!" - my 6 year old son, doing Jackie Warner's Xtreme Time Saver 30M workout with me (with his cute little 1lb weights!)
"This is not fake sweat - it's all real!" Chalene from CLX
fitmommytx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 11:06 AM  
lorajc

I'm not an expert, but this is my 2 cents. I piddle around with barre from time to time.....own everything.

From my experience (and I carry my weight from the waist down), I think this creates sleek, toned legs and seems to make them more compact than just building muscle under the "already" layer of fat I have doing traditional weights. Sometimes, when a person has that layer of fat over their legs and do weight training, they can get larger on bottom (which is what usually happens to me with traditional weight work - thus making my pants too tight).

When I do a barre rotation, or just add barre into my weeks, I seem to slim down on my lower half but remain muscular. Sometimes the repetitive plies and such in barre can be harder than what you are used to in doing traditional weighted lunges and squats, etc. I think it has to do with the sequencing and muscle overload....in the form of lots of reps and pulsing moves to really get a good burn going. Even if you are strong from weight lifting, you'll probably not be able to do all the reps in a barre workout until you work your way up to it. You'd be surprised how different it is than traditional work.

The main reason I do barre and TA is because I despise working my legs in the traditional fashion, but not so much with TA or barre.

Also, when I did a bar rotation in the past, my DH asked me what I was doing and told me my already "great" bum looked even higher and tighter.
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 12:12 PM  
RachelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by marissajd View Post
Why has barre been more effective for me than other types of workouts?

Because it's the first form of exercise that I've loved enough to stick with. I've been taking live classes for the last 18 months or so and 99% of the time, I can't wait to go to class. I think there's just something about barre that really clicked with my (slightly) Type A personality -- something about the structure of the workouts, the precision of the exercises, and that process of working to perfect my form, little by little.
I second that. I have not worked out with any consistency until I found barre workouts. I love them!! I look forward to doing them and think about ways I can get better at them all the time. I hadn't thought about being Type A contributing to my love of barre, but it does make sense. I love that fact that the better you get at them, the harder they are.
RachelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-11, 01:44 PM  
marissajd

rlw3 I do think there is something to the Type A-ness/barre addiction. So many of the barre nuts I know are attorneys, as are a surprisingly high number of of the studio owners. Pure Barre Carrie was also an attorney in her former life. Maybe we find comfort in the predictable structure, rules, and attention to detail?
marissajd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, barre results