Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-29-09, 11:13 AM  
beccajanern

Step Surge! :)

LOVED Tonya's! She cues wonderfully, using hand and verbal cues. The step was challenging, but not so hard that you can't get it in a try or two. She shows beginner and advanced modifications, with a modifier doing the basic moves. Her terminology is different, but easy to pick up. The six step segments are just long enough. I didn't do the weight segments since I am currently doing STS, but the abs! My oh my! Short and intense. Tonya is very refreshing and enjoyable. This will definitely be a go to workout!
beccajanern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:26 AM  
swankyswimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beccajanern View Post
LOVED Tonya's! She cues wonderfully, using hand and verbal cues. The step was challenging, but not so hard that you can't get it in a try or two. She shows beginner and advanced modifications, with a modifier doing the basic moves. Her terminology is different, but easy to pick up. The six step segments are just long enough. I didn't do the weight segments since I am currently doing STS, but the abs! My oh my! Short and intense. Tonya is very refreshing and enjoyable. This will definitely be a go to workout!
Was there a lot of TIFTing in this workout? The description on Collage made it sound like the step portions were pretty repetitive. Also, do you agree with their intermediate rating?
swankyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:48 AM  
andtckrtoo

I did Amy's as well and LOVED it! On the Cathe boards I said it was like combo of Rumble and HLCK - but before anyone screams - I say it's like Rumble because the moves are much less complex and the combo's are shorter, but they are much faster and fun. The "Surges" are similar to the intervals in HLCK. I did not like ITR either. And KBX bored me after I learned it, but this one I can see keeping me interested a long time - she teaches the combos quickly - there are not too many repetitions and they are simply fun. The first Surge will have you crying for your mamma!
andtckrtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 11:55 AM  
adrien_73

Grrr...now I regret not preordering Amy's! I can't follow her cues for cardio, but if it is less complex I think I would be ok. I guess I'll have to go order from Mary!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 12:02 PM  
acey

ITA about Amy's -- she still tends to throw whole blocks of choreo at you, but because they are pure kickboxing moves it's much easier for me to pick up on them (as opposed to the chunks of choreo of hi-lo plus kickboxing in previous workouts).

I was *so* relieved that the other surges weren't as painful as the first one -- I didn't like the constant get-down-get-up thing, it made the blood rush in and out of my head like a thermometer gone wild.

A solid hour of sweat!
Old 04-29-09, 12:04 PM  
cardio.junkie

I also loved Amy's!!! I haven't sweated that much in a long time!!! WOO-HOO!
cardio.junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 01:36 PM  
DHKWriter
VF Supporter

I did Amy's this morning and I modified for the first surge because I'm getting old and I just hate moves like that. I really liked all the surges after that. My HR was still good enough. This was a fun, sweaty workout that moved quickly. I liked that the main cardio segment was only 49 minutes long, so with the warm-up, it was an hour. Moves come at you quickly but aren't as complicated as they seem once you do them a couple of times. Great mix of punches and kicks. I wore weighted gloves and it made it high intensity but not anaerobic.

Did the first half of Seasun's yesterday. Got the first combo no problem, had a little trouble at the end of the second. I didn't want to take on the whole thing at once, but I think once I get it all down, it'll be a tougher workout. There is a premix with all the finished combos that could be the next Step Blast Challenge!

I should add that I haven't ordered CIAs in years, and they are markedly improved.

Donna K
DHKWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 02:11 PM  
gigi

I did the Surge Premix from Amy's Kickbox Surge and it was tough. I also loved the med ball core section. I have not done the rest of the workout yet, but I can't wait to give it a try. I plan on learning one combo at a time after or before my regular workout. I think Amy's workouts get better and better. The music is rockin, the choreography is interesting, the surges are tough, and I'm going to love this as much as I love ITR (I'm so surprised by how many people don't like ITR...it's one of my FAVES!!!) I have to say that I agree with another poster who posted on Amy's forum, this may be her best yet! Amy knows how to bring fun into a kick butt workout!
Old 04-29-09, 02:14 PM  
beccajanern

Quote:
Originally Posted by swankyswimmer View Post
Was there a lot of TIFTing in this workout? The description on Collage made it sound like the step portions were pretty repetitive. Also, do you agree with their intermediate rating?
She teaches a step combo, you run through it a few times, then you would do that step combo plus the previous one. For example: Combo 2 breakdown + Combo 2 finished product + combo 1 & Combo 3 breakdown + Combo 3 finished product + Combo 2, etc. She only goes back one combo until the end where you do all six combos together. I hope that makes sense.

I definitely agree with the intermediate rating. It is easy to modify up or down, though.
beccajanern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-09, 02:34 PM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
I did Amy's as well and LOVED it! On the Cathe boards I said it was like combo of Rumble and HLCK - but before anyone screams - I say it's like Rumble because the moves are much less complex and the combo's are shorter, but they are much faster and fun.
Ooh... sounds great. I like the sound of less complex moves and shorter combos.

I'm patiently waiting for my Kickbox Surge to arrive. Then I liked the look of Kimberly's Cardio Combat Surge clip so much, I ordered her workout, and a light Bodybar. Then to justify the cost of the Bodybar and DVD, I also ordered Kimberly's Absolute Kickboxing and Mindy's All Systems Go.

I'm home sick with the flu and in no condition to work out, but I can still exercise my credit card.

Tags
2009, amy bento, cia, kimberly spreen, reviews, seasun zieger, tonya larson