Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-11, 12:54 PM  
orphylea

FWIW, I tried to do a CLX rotation when it came out and couldn't STAND it. I think I did maybe one week of Burn and then quit. It felt awkward and the whole light weight upper body but working the lower body but not enough problem just irritated me.

Fast forward a few years and I gave it another shot. I needed short workouts for the summer without a lot of equipment. I also followed Debbie's lean for life rotation, so I do one workout from Burn, Push and Lean each week. All of a sudden, I loved the program- I mean serious love. I started to see that even though I may not be working the legs to failure in the Burn/Lean workouts, I was still getting leg work. The once a week Push workout let me really push legs to total failure, so that satisfied that urge. Plus, she does do *just* lower body in a few Burn/Lean exercises, just not many. I also modified certain things- I hold the weights in a different place, don't do the calf raise or whatever change makes the move less awkward.

My other tip is that in the Burn circuit, I think #1 is the most awkward. So maybe 2 and 3 will be better?

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
18 week CLX rotation finished
Currently loving Amy's Drop Sets and Cathe's STS TB
orphylea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 02:03 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by orphylea View Post
FWIW, I tried to do a CLX rotation when it came out and couldn't STAND it. I think I did maybe one week of Burn and then quit. It felt awkward and the whole light weight upper body but working the lower body but not enough problem just irritated me.

Fast forward a few years and I gave it another shot. I needed short workouts for the summer without a lot of equipment. I also followed Debbie's lean for life rotation, so I do one workout from Burn, Push and Lean each week. All of a sudden, I loved the program- I mean serious love. I started to see that even though I may not be working the legs to failure in the Burn/Lean workouts, I was still getting leg work. The once a week Push workout let me really push legs to total failure, so that satisfied that urge. Plus, she does do *just* lower body in a few Burn/Lean exercises, just not many. I also modified certain things- I hold the weights in a different place, don't do the calf raise or whatever change makes the move less awkward.

My other tip is that in the Burn circuit, I think #1 is the most awkward. So maybe 2 and 3 will be better?
I'm really glad that you like the Lean for Life rotation.

CLX is a fantastic system. It is worth watching before starting the program, especially the Lean phase.

Rose, the exercises in the Burn phase are combination exercises. Initially, I tried to make this phase something that it wasn't, and I took a step back and regrouped. This phase is basically the foundation phase, much like building a house. The main focus is building a solid foundation, which in this case, is your lower body and core. Even though you are using lighter weights you will reap serious benefits by focusing and contracting the muscles your lower body and core.

The Push phase is fantastic. You'll get really strong during this phase.

The Lean phase works every muscle fiber in your body. Nothing has worked my every being the way the Lean phase did. The weight just melted off of me. Even though it's been well over a year since I've done CLX, I have yet to gain back a pound.

As far as injuries are concern, any program carries a risk. Despite my lower back history, and back surgeries, I had NO problems during CLX. I did this program for 15 months straight without a single injury.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-11, 02:38 PM  
orphylea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I'm really glad that you like the Lean for Life rotation.
I'm glad Rose started this thread, since I've been meaning to thank you for a while for posting your rotation and your CLX experience.

I have to agree about the Lean phase- that is always my toughest day of the week. I need to do a Lean only phase, but erm, it's hard!

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
Old 08-15-11, 08:56 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
I'm glad Rose started this thread, since I've been meaning to thank you for a while for posting your rotation and your CLX experience.

I have to agree about the Lean phase- that is always my toughest day of the week. I need to do a Lean only phase, but erm, it's hard!
I'm thrilled to read that it is working out for you.

I did revise the original CLX rotation, too. The original rotation had you working similar body groups too soon. My revised version is much more balanced.

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 08-15-11, 09:06 PM  
orphylea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
I'm thrilled to read that it is working out for you.

I did revise the original CLX rotation, too. The original rotation had you working similar body groups too soon. My revised version is much more balanced.
So even when you did all 3 Burns in a week, you mixed up the order and didn't do them 1, 2 and then 3? I liked how you switched up the Lean for Life rotation, I think it is much more balanced than Chalean's.

STS Grad
P90X Dropout
Old 08-15-11, 10:32 PM  
dbclark44

I'm like Rose in regards to not caring for combo moves. I have the set and to be fair really didn't give it a chnace as I only did #1 of the burn phase. At this time in my life I just don't care for combo moves. I like working my upper body separate from my lower body. I'll hang ontot he set though. Who knows how I'll feel a year from now if I try it out again. Right now it's not for me.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 04:04 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclark44 View Post
I'm like Rose in regards to not caring for combo moves. I have the set and to be fair really didn't give it a chnace as I only did #1 of the burn phase. At this time in my life I just don't care for combo moves. I like working my upper body separate from my lower body. I'll hang ontot he set though. Who knows how I'll feel a year from now if I try it out again. Right now it's not for me.
Me too! I'm in a tubing phase right now (and have been most of the summer) and figured I'd try it since it had a modifier with tubing. But if I don't like it I won't do it. So I'll do my boring splits with tubing instead
Old 08-16-11, 01:30 PM  
ladysaraii

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplain View Post
I was okay with Burn until I started Push, and then I realized that Push was far safer for me. Didn't care for Lean either. But I really did like Push. You might give those a chance if you've got the whole set on hand....
I felt the same way.

Burn irritated my low back. I loved Push. and Lean was just meh to me. Maybe one day I'll go back and try it, but for now.... no no

July 08 Cathe Road Trip
ladysaraii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-11, 04:19 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
So even when you did all 3 Burns in a week, you mixed up the order and didn't do them 1, 2 and then 3? I liked how you switched up the Lean for Life rotation, I think it is much more balanced than Chalean's.
Patti, I agree about the rotation that came with CLX. In fact, many programs seem to fall short with their rotations.

This is my modified CLX rotation. The Burn phase was fine as is.:

Burn Phase:

Burn 1-Chest, shoulders, legs
Burn 2-Biceps, triceps, back, legs
Burn 3-Shoulders, legs

Day 1 - Burn 1
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Burn 2
Day 4 - Burn Intervals + Ab Burner Disc 6
Day 5 - Burn 3
Day 6 - Burn it Off + Recharge Disc 5

Push Phase:

Push-3-Back, chest, legs
Push 2-Shoulders, legs
Push 1-Biceps, Triceps, legs

Day 1 - Push 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Push 2
Day 5 - Push 1

Lean Phase:

Lean 3-Chest, Shoulders & minimal Legs
Lean 1-Arms, Legs
Lean 2-Back, Iso Shoulders, Legs

Day 1 - Lean 3
Day 2 - Rest
Day 3 - Lean 1
Day 5 - Lean 2

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
Hope Fimiani
Old 08-16-11, 04:47 PM  
lisarah

Okay, can someone please post Debbie's "lean for life" CLX rotation, one that uses 1 w/o from each phase?
TIA!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chalean extreme, clx, combination moves, coordination