Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-19-12, 04:44 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

CLX exercise substitutions

I just started a CLX rotation--finishing up week 1 of Burn.

What is with Chalene's obsession with shoulder exercises? Shoulder exercises are ridiculously over-represented in this part of the rotation. For example, Burn 3 doesn't have a single upper body exercise for anything other than shoulders (aside from 3 superslow pushups).

My shoulders are not going to be able to take this.

Of course I can do my own substitutions, but was wondering whether I was alone in thinking that this portion of the rotation is quite unbalanced, and whether anyone has anyone substituted other upper body exercises for the shoulder exercises? I understand that nicely developed shoulders make your waist look smaller, but this seems like overkill to me.

Also the number of squats and lunges are giving me pause. I actually do like Chalene, and I liked Burn Intervals a lot, but I have the feeling that I am not going to be able to do this rotation as designed.

Thanks, everyone.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 04:54 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Uh oh. I'm starting CLX this week.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 05:32 PM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
What is with Chalene's obsession with shoulder exercises? Shoulder exercises are ridiculously over-represented in this part of the rotation. For example, Burn 3 doesn't have a single upper body exercise for anything other than shoulders (aside from 3 superslow pushups).

My shoulders are not going to be able to take this.
I'm hoping to get an answer to this as well. I did almost a full rotation of CLX and it did in fact injure one of my shoulders. It was a definite impingement of my shoulder and it literally took 5 months to clear up. I've shelved CLX for now but am interested if someone has a substitute suggestion as well.

I loved the overall fitness gains otherwise from this program!

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 05:44 PM  
cin777

Actually I injured my arm/shoulder just prior to starting CLX and took it slow throughout the program, and it ended up rehabing the injury for me!
cin777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 06:16 PM  
PeakFitness

No, you're not alone in noticing her obsession w/ shoulders. I wrote a review on CLX in the review section, complaining about this. The whole thing, not just Burn, is shoulder-intensive. 1 workout from each phase is almost completely devoted to shoulders (Burn 3, Push 2, & Lean 2). I didn't substitute, but I never did a CLX rotation again, either.

ETA: It didn't cause me an injury, it was just a waste of time for me to spend an entire workout on shoulders.
Old 05-19-12, 07:15 PM  
wookiemouse

It IS shoulder intensive. But it does work. I've done the program several times now and never had an injury from it - but do have freakin' amazing shoulders!

Completed: P90X, CLX, TF, TF/CLX hybrid (x3), Les Mills Pump, STS (x3), NROLFW, Focus T25, P90X3, Body Beast, Insanity half-grad

Currently doing: Strong
wookiemouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-12, 07:21 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Chalene focuses on the shoulders for a purpose. It is to sculpt a more hourglass figure. Venus Index is even more shoulder intensive than CLX for this very reason.

Funny, I never thought I needed a lot of shoulder work prior to CLX, because I already had well defined shoulders, but CLX really added a lot of cuts into my shoulders.

If you want to cut out some of the shoulder work, do so. When I sub out shoulder work, I add in triceps exercises in its place.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-12, 07:52 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I love CLX, but have also had problems with my shoulders (in the past) , especially during Burn Circuit 3. I have finally realized that I have to lift lighter than maybe other people do. I am only using a set of 8lb dumbells for the 3 exercises with overhead/frontal press in BC 3. I use a set of 7lb for the 3 exercises with lateral/deltoid raise. I find that this works better for me. It really is true, heavy is different for everybody. I just cant seem to stop doing CLX. It really is a great set, love the length of the workouts! Just have to be careful with the weights!

Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clx