Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-11, 04:33 AM  
pumptmuscle

I agree with a lot of what's been said here. Like EnglishIvy mentions, I have no doubt that if I did P90x as written, I'd get great results. But like topfitmama, what happens after?? There'd pretty much be 2 basic choices, either continue to work really hard like during the rotation or end up doing much less afterward and have the physical results be brief. It's kinda like a pro athlete that retires. While they're active, they're in top shape because there are strong incentives to be that way (income, winning, endorsements, etc). When they retire, it often becomes a very different story. They just don't have the rigid workout schedule, and probably diet, they did before. They often lose muscle and gain fat. Granted, it's not always like that but I think more than not, it is. I wonder how many of the people in those P90x success pictures look that way a year or two later.

On a personal level, I've dealt with so much weight yo-yoing for decades. The last thing I want to do (again) is look a certain way only to see it last briefly. Nope...no more for me. For the record tho, I love how I look now so the incentive to formally "P90x" myself is really unnecessary. I really hate working just one (or a couple) of body parts in a workout. Kettlebells work everything.

In honor of Tony Horton tho, during my next kettlebell workout, I'll take a kettlebell off the rack and "bring it" into my hands

"We all have our own issues" - Lashaun Dale

"Hi, I'm Billy Blanks and welcome to Tae Bo" Billy Blanks - Tae Bo

** 50 time marathoner
** 15 time ultramarathoner (the longest was 40 miles)
** All time high scorer at Blast Billiards
pumptmuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 10:30 AM  
cooldham

I did Tracy Anderson Meta for 3 days...I JUST made my last credit card payment for the system with WVC. The thrill of the workouts did not last nearly as long! I know I would probably get great results with a system but life is too short for me to try and stick with a rotation, fail, and beat myself up about it.
Old 11-04-11, 10:31 AM  
EnglishIvy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumptmuscle View Post
I agree with a lot of what's been said here. Like EnglishIvy mentions, I have no doubt that if I did P90x as written, I'd get great results. But like topfitmama, what happens after?? There'd pretty much be 2 basic choices, either continue to work really hard like during the rotation or end up doing much less afterward and have the physical results be brief. .........
That just hasn't been my experience at all. I think working really hard all the time is actually counter-productive. As a matter of fact, the rest period after a rotation often gives great gains. My body really settles in and leans out and my energy is super high. And I'll often use my increased strength level to experiment with new workouts. For instance, after STS I really went heavy into suspension training. It was great because I didn't have to waste time building up to the fun stuff and the change was enjoyable (both physically & mentally). If a rotation is 60-90 days, you really only need to do 2-3 a year to keep most of your gains, especially if you insert beneficial rest periods and then mix it up with new stuff. The new stuff is more fun because you have the strength and the cross-training keeps your body on its toes/prevents injury.

I think the analogy of the pro sports athlete doesn't really fit with my way of life. I enjoy exercise for many reasons. I don't work super hard then become sedentary for long periods until sport season rolls around again. To me, that seems no more beneficial to health than the "binge and purge" way of eating. I embrace rest periods and find them beneficial, but I don't go long periods without being physically active. I enjoy the benefits too much. Exercise keeps me sane, helps me sleep, gives me strength, confidence etc.

Of course, you know what works best for you. Just wanted to point out that it's really not that black and white when it comes to rotations. And there are so many modifications that can make a rotation work better on an individual basis. If you dread a program, that can really hinder consistency. But you can always do halfsies or turn a 90 day program into a 30 day rotation if it fits your schedule better. It doesn't have to be an "all or nothing" deal to gain and maintain results.
EnglishIvy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clx, p90x, rotation, rotations