Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 09-02-20, 01:53 AM  
Helen

Every Day in September - Join us to see the year out, day by day - finish BIG!!

Welcome to the Every Day Checkin!
Images this month are (obviously) about the change of season - small pics to represent small steps, but ever onwards towards our goals!

We are a small group who aim to do some form of physical activity every day, whatever that means for YOU (but don't kid yourself about it either)

Woo whoo!!! REALLY a change of season now! Let's finish what has been a *challenging* year with a BANG!!

NEWCOMERS, RETURNERS, LURKERS,... might as well say:

EVERYONE
is WELCOME!

Daily posts - not mandatory, nor even "sternly preferred" - but we love it if you do.
Weekly posts, drive-by notes, daily essays all about you.... any of those are perfectly fine - no pressure, EXCEPT to diligently try to add serious movement to your day - every day.

Lexicon:
WERD = Well Earned Rest Day, but even rest days can include movement
TERD = Totally Expected Rest Day, though not especially well-earned, like a planned happy event
TURD = Totally Unexpected Rest Day, hopefully also a happy event
HERD = of TURDS - usually declared after the THIRD TURD in a row. Try to avoid these at all costs, as they can move in & get comfortable, getting OUT of your comfort zone is the way to make change happen
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 03:22 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

New Month!!

Helen: Thanks as always for getting us started.!! Love the smaller pics, love the changing seasons. (well, not so much winter, but .....)

September will be a GREAT month! I declare it. I have goals. I will meet my goals. I will get one month closer to the year's end!

I need my arrow, so I'm here to post.

9/1/2020: Power Zone Challenge ride (60 minutes) with Matt. Cool Down Ride with Denis (Grateful Dead - only 5 minutes - really does help get the body temperature down so I'm not sweating in the shower. I also think it helps in flushing out the lactic acid!) Post Ride Stretch

That's it for my first day of September. Had high hopes of hitting the rower after work, but that didn't happen because by the time I cooked dinner, cleaned up? It was time to get ready for bed, since one goal (again) is to get adequate sleep. Oh well, today is a new day!! I will START with rowing.

Waves to all and here's to an EXCEPTIONAL September.
Onward!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 04:38 AM  
Helen

Small pics to represent small steps to GOALS was for you, CLEDA - probably the most goal-oriented person I know - not only goal oriented, but goal ACHIEVER!

Tue., 1st Sep.
30min walk with Alice
Wed., 2nd Sep.
30min walk with Alice
37min Cathe - High Step Challenge - No Knees, No Band Mix (my mix)
buddy prompted the workout by messaging last night. She doesn't like bands, so we used the Mix 'n' Match menu to pick chapters I could do (upper body & deadlifts).

Knee noticeably better every day - can walk downstairs with both feet today, but can't take it for granted - thoughtful care is still required.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 09-02-20, 01:22 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Helen - thank you for the wonderful intro! So glad to hear the knee is improving.
Cleda - getting enough sleep is an excellent goal!

9/1 - Body Project: Low Impact Resistance and Cardio W/O for Beginners. This was pretty good. I like low impact, the weight work wasn't bad, and the instructor was likable. Then I tried Peloton, and it worked, so I did 20 min. Soft Rock Walk with Selena. These walks are always harder than I think they'll be! I followed with 10 min. Full Body Stretch with Adrian, I really liked this one. A few new to me stretches that felt really good. We also walked the dogs, although it was shortened by the rain.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-20, 08:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Helen - Yet another inspiring intro! Glad to hear you’re on the mend!

Cleda - Yes I agree you are awesome at setting & attaining your goals!

Lili - Very nice workout combo!

Sept 1:
~Essentrics class outside on my friend’s patio
~Neighbourhood walk
~WOW: Bee Gees walk - loved this one, included songs from Saturday Night Fever
~Essentrics trademark practice & videoing.....I am done & await the verdict! I’ll be scheduling another zoom chat to discuss the verdict.

Sept 2:
~60 min Stability ball Pilates class on zoom
~BellyFit Zoom workout #3 - standing cardio only, about 40 min, felt I got in enough toning with the Pilates class
~neighbourhood walk - broke through 10,000 steps, that’s my daily goal for Sept.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 03:57 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

Helen: Wow ... thanks. Why doesn't buddy like bands? Are we talking the stretchy ones (bands instead of weights?) or the ones that go around your legs -- little ones. I'm not making much sense - need more coffee. Glad you are feeling a little better.

Pam: We anxiously await the verdict WITH you!!!! A Bee Gees walk sounds nice. I like the Bee Gees (the old stuff too ....) I had the (don't fall over!) 8 track when I was a kid and overplayed it. LONGGGG before Saturday Night Fever. (a what I consider - reinvention of the Bee Gees?) 10k steps per day. You go girl. Gone and done are my days of 10k. StepBets burned me out. (but you all know I still stay active, despite not getting 10k steps a day)

Lili: Hmmm Soft Rock? walk? With Selena. I like Selena. I like Soft Rock. May have to investigate. If it's the stretch I'm thinking of with Adrian - it IS wonderful. I thoroughly enjoy his workout style. (mostly!)

Waves to Kay!

Me, me and all me .......

I am end of week weary today. Glad that we have a holiday weekend coming up and an extra day this weekend!!!

9/2/2020: A.M.: Dark Horse rowing (24 minutes - 2 blocks of 12 mins. - actually was 30 mins. when all was said and done), Matty's BootCamp* 30 minutes. PM: 30 minutes Olivia Endurance PZ ride, 30 minutes Matt endurance PZ Ride, 10 mins. PRS

** Matty's Bootcamp was in the format I am not that big on. Ohhh it was a dilly of a workout - but it was Treadmill for 18 or so minutes and then floorwork. I like the format of tread/floor/tread/floor etc. (Think KCM's Home Gym Intervals). This feels more like treadmill and then strength. Which, is exactly how I will color it on my chart when the day comes. But.... It was still a tough workout nonetheless. Intermediate (and I'm always at least 1 mph BELOW what they call out for intermediate speed and I'm ok with that. I make it my own!!!! But, it was quite a bit of incline work. 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10. That ALWAYS gets me. I know they do that when it's only a short amount of time because it gets the job done. but YOWSA ... I did get in 1.5 miles and then we moved to the floor for leg work. All squats and lunges. Yowsa again. I am feeling it this a.m. (on the left side?!?0 Anyway, it will get better.

Week 2 is DONE for the challenge, now to get a jumpstart on week 3. I will print it out this a.m.and decide what one (if any) I'm doing today and onward.

Make it a great day!
Cleda
Old 09-03-20, 06:36 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

9/2 - I tried another Body Project w/o: Low Impact Cardio for all Levels. This was led by the male & female instructor and I liked it better than the first one I tried. Then I went back to Pahla B and did Day 7. We walked the dogs.
9/3 - I started with Pahla's Day 8, which she called a recovery day. After that I tried several different rebounder workouts, some I finished, some I didn't.

I've been driving to my DD's house all week to help her with online school for her 3rd grader and kindergartner, since her husband is tied up at work this week. It has been fun, but also a little stressful, trying to decide when to step in and when to let them go. They are both easily distracted and very antsy. They are set up in different rooms, which helps, but also requires 2 adults. The 3rd grader did this last year since lockdown started, so she is familiar, but needs to get back into the routine. I give the teachers a lot of credit. This is hard for everyone! I needed an easier day today!

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-20, 10:25 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Sept 3:
~Taught Essentrics outside on the deck
~Barlates Barre Bell HIIT - barre/kettlebell fusion, short & sweet at 20 min
~WOW: movie walk - This was fun, music from Fame, Flashdance, Saturday Night Fever, Grease, and the James Bond theme song.

Lili - So nice of you to help with school work, but I get how it’s exhausting. Kinda turns the fun of grandparenting into work!

Cleda - Yikes that boot camp sounds tough!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-20, 04:10 AM  
Helen

PAM
I'll have to have more of a look at the WOW workouts! I'm a sucker for musicals and music/series with good music - and good music makes a huge difference to a workout. Part of why I'm so fond of Christi's workouts - they put me in a happy mood more than just the exercise.

LILI
I have, unfortunately, not yet returned to Phala. Glad you're enjoying them.
Online school for such young ones is super hard - and thanks for acknowledging that it's hard for the teachers. The 3 months we did online was a LOT more work. The only good thing was not having to deal with the behaviour of some particular kids - and the MUTE BUTTON!

CLEDA
Weird as is it to say - I'll be glad when I CAN do squats & lunges again!
Did I actually say that?!

Knee
limp has almost gone but there is still definite swelling, and now & again I twist and flinch. Can't "not think" about it when I move - still have to be thoughtful, but every day IS obviously better than the last.

Thur., 3rd Aug.
TURD (apart from a 30min walk with Alice) - had classes all day, no breaks. Got home, hit the couch & only moved for dinner, then bed. Perhaps it was needed.

Friday evening now...
Buddy dipped out tonight - buggered after a long work week, we're booked in for Sat noonish.

I'm going to sit back in my comfy computer chair and have a good look at those WOWs! Looking forward to the weekend - it HAS been a long week.

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 09-04-20, 08:22 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Checking in

To all those teachers, parents, grandparents and homeschoolin' folks!!! I give you ALL a lot of credit (I always have!) I am so happy that I am an empty nester. We didn't have the internet to help us back when the kids were little and I spent every day going back to school, reading the chalkboard, getting assignments and then working with my kids. I remember those days (not so fondly!) and wouldn't trade them for the world. It is more than exhausting!!!! KUDOS to all of you.

No time for shout outs ... gotta run to Costco before it gets too crazy on a holiday weekend.

9/3/2020: Rowing 30 minutes, Bounce & Jog (Bellicon @ home).

Easy peasy ... felt like I took a break. I am annoyed with myself as I didn't do a meditation or something for Peloton. Forgot about it till about 2 a.m. when I woke up and remembered! That means I start all over with my new streak - which I was well over 60 or 90 days. OOOOPS ... I still am working out every day though. So it's all good.

Make it a great day. Off to get some stuff done, get home, exercise and start out the weekend ... WAhhhhhhhhhhhhooooooo

Cleda