Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-08-14, 09:19 PM  
Cybersparkle

Yogis - BOF & inverted poses during TTOTM - what will happen??

What will happen if I do BOF & or inverted poses (like shoulder stand & plow) while on my cycle, especially the first 2 days of the cycle?

I have just been doing Kundalini yoga, mostly Ravianas, since June 24th. I am peri-meno and my PMS has worsened each year since 43 (I'm 46). I have found that Yoga Beauty Body and Fat Free Yoga really help alleviate PMS and cramps. In this short amount of time with KY yoga, I have been able to greatly reduce cramps, pms and the amount of advil I have to take.

However, Ravi & Ana say not to do the BOF on the first day of the cycle (Maya Fiennes says this also). And I think from hatha yoga, I have heard not to do inverted postures.

But, BOF & shoulder stand help me so much!

I mean, the first day is when the cycle is worst, shouldn't I be doing BOF like my life depended on it? lol Seriously, now that I have found a natural remedy that works, I shouldn't do it when I need it most?

Ok, can someone please specifically enlighten me on how BOF/inverted postures are not good the 1st day. Like, will it make the cramps worse? Or will I really mess with the kundalini system of healing or something? Has anyone experienced the bad effects if they did the BOF anyway?

Any advice is appreciated ... cause Yoga Beauty Body is calling my name
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:45 PM  
loverly7

I don't have an answer for you, but really want to hear the replies you will get. I'm curious about this too.
loverly7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 09:52 PM  
Vee

I've always ignored this guideline and after a decade of ignoring it, I can definitively report (based on a sample size of one) that it is completely safe to do inversions or any other pose, and BOF or any other pranayama at any time of the month.

No yoga teacher or resource has been able to explain this restriction with a convincing reason to me. They can't even agree on what in yoga is restricted.

Some say that menstruation releases negative energy downwards along with the bleeding and inversions will make the bad energy flow back into the body. (I've decided to release negative energy when I pee instead of waiting until TTOM. I like this reason though, especially if a sanctimonious, male yoga authority tells you so, because you can innocently ask how men release negative energy, just for lolz).

Some say BOF (or anything that puts pressure on the abdomen) will cause heavier periods. I can see how doing Insanity, could cause heavier bleeding during a period, but BOF? The sample size for that study must have had women with super-heavy periods.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 10:04 PM  
Cybersparkle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee View Post
I've always ignored this guideline and after a decade of ignoring it, I can definitively report (based on a sample size of one) that it is completely safe to do inversions or any other pose, and BOF or any other pranayama at any time of the month.

No yoga teacher or resource has been able to explain this restriction with a convincing reason to me. They can't even agree on what in yoga is restricted.

Some say that menstruation releases negative energy downwards along with the bleeding and inversions will make the bad energy flow back into the body. (I've decided to release negative energy when I pee instead of waiting until TTOM. I like this reason though, especially if a sanctimonious, male yoga authority tells you so, because you can innocently ask how men release negative energy, just for lolz).

Some say BOF (or anything that puts pressure on the abdomen) will cause heavier periods. I can see how doing Insanity, could cause heavier bleeding during a period, but BOF? The sample size for that study must have had women with super-heavy periods.
Oh, bless you Thank you, this is all I needed- your sample size is good enough for me!

I know I felt so much better when I did it ...

Yoga Beauty Body here I come
Cybersparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 10:17 PM  
Orlita

I do all poses and breathwork during TTOM. No negative results for me. I agree that I haven't heard anything logical enough to convince me not to do it.
Orlita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 10:27 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I was about to post "absolutely nothing" but I see others beat me to it. I've been doing yoga since I was a teen and always ignored that advice because it was just anatomically ridiculous.

So enjoy!

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-14, 10:40 PM  
BunnyHop

My female yoga teachers all ignored this 'restriction' and pretty much hinted that so should I when taking a class.

Sure, I'd think that if you were having a particularly rough cycle, you shouldn't do anything to make yourself more uncomfortable, but isn't that kinda common sense?

Women with specific issues where a particularly heavy flow or extreme discomfort are their version of a normal cycle? I've found the 'restorative yoga' type work to be very pleasant and easing. Not sure why those poses/adaptations seem to be so comforting, but it is my experience. (though my own cycles/medical history seems pretty normal/calm compared to many) Did they make a difference? I have no way of knowing.

I will say, though, that lot of the reasons given by some of the so-called experts for adapting the practice always struck me as a lot of misogynist, pseudo-mystical hooey. (Anyone out there who wants to believe those reasons, please go right ahead, I won't argue, but I also (respectfully) won't agree with you.)

Overall, for me, having yoga in my life makes me more comfortable, not less, no matter what time of the month. (Now if only I could figure out how to manage a regular practice in my oh, so irregular life.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 10:15 AM  
laurajhawk

I agree with others - it's perfectly safe. It may possibly be uncomfortable for some people, in which case those people can also safely avoid the poses/breaths that are uncomfortable.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-14, 01:02 PM  
NoraKate
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnyhop View Post

i will say, though, that lot of the reasons given by some of the so-called experts for adapting the practice always struck me as a lot of misogynist, pseudo-mystical hooey. (anyone out there who wants to believe those reasons, please go right ahead, i won't argue, but i also (respectfully) won't agree with you.)
that!!!!
Old 08-09-14, 01:20 PM  
Taiga

I'm more comfortable not inverting on my cycle so I don't. But I wouldn't be fearful of it if the mood struck me.

Just something to consider though:

Retrograde menstruation was previously a prevailing scientific hypothesis for what causes endometriosis. It's complicated, and other factors play a part- things like genetics, immune function, environmental toxins etc but there are still a few studies out there that question tampon use (flow obstruction that encourages retrograde flow) as a contributor. Mostly, there aren't enough clear studies so some docs still recommend caution.

Barbara Benaugh's take

Tags
menstruation, yoga