Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-10-14, 03:58 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy View Post
I think Bottoms Up Gold + is excellent to start off with and just keep consistant and raise your weights when they don't challenge you anymore.
Mandy, I appreciate all your input. Please feel free to PM me, but can I ask you what are the main workouts you use, am just curious. Also, do you for the most part keep the fast lifting speed and what are your thoughts on the speed?

~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-14, 10:06 PM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Mandy, I appreciate all your input. Please feel free to PM me, but can I ask you what are the main workouts you use, am just curious. Also, do you for the most part keep the fast lifting speed and what are your thoughts on the speed?

~Beth
I do Joyce Bottoms Up Gold Plus, Now or Never, WTME book level 4 and then for the floorwork, I do WTME DVD Day 1 and Day 2..I alternate days. Interval Aerobics, Speedy Nonstop, Bone Building, Quick Quartet, Just abs, Fast Forward day 1 & 2 and Just Thighs.

Joyce paper workouts that I have memorized are
Fat Burning, Definition and Fast Forward day 3 legs/bi/tri

I also wrote down all the exercises on Cougar and do them on my own. I don't do Cougar, or the Just Joyce's that much. I like Definition mostly for the lower body/butt. Same with Fat Burning. I like the lower body better than the upper body. It's like it has not dread for me.
I rotate all Joyce workouts
I also add in Cathe for variety for cardio and sometimes I will do a rotation from Cathe's sets like Timesaver, Crosstrain Express, 4 Day split and Xtrain. I also like Amy Bento's Drop Sets and Cathe's Pyramid(but she doesn't pyramid calves or the floorwork). I also like Cathe's Burn sets and change it up and make it the pyramid system. Same with Cathe's STS Meso 2 which utilizes 3 sets so I just change it and use the pyramid system and use light,medium and heavy weights. But with STS Meso 2, there are "a lot" of rests. I'm so used to the 15 second rests with Joyce that when I was dong the STS Meso 2, I started doing chores in between rests..lol I probably needed to go heavier like Cathe said.
I do all my abs from Joyce workouts with a little Cathe Sprinkled here and there. I like to do train my abs like bodybuilders in sets with rests.
Lately, I like to do my Joyce Weights first and then finish with 1 or 2 Tabatas from Cathe's Tabatacise. As I'm getting older, I find that doing my weights first is the most important and then fun cardio has to be my reward for finishing my weights.

For lifting speed, sometimes I have to pause the DVD player if Joyce goes too fast for me. Like in Now or Never shoulder work, she goes a bit fast for me and the size weights I use. Or during Fast Forward Day 1 where she hops up and down doing chest/back and then on the floor for abs. I just pause and catch up with her.
I actually have Speedy Nonstop weight work memorized so I do that on my own sometimes if I don't want to use the DVD.
I have to do Definition on my own if I want to use 12,15 and 20lbs for squats.
I think the speed of the abs in Definition goes a little fast for me. That's why I like Bottoms Up Gold plus abs with the rests. Its easier on my back.
Old 07-10-14, 10:47 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

Quote:
For lifting speed, sometimes I have to pause the DVD player if Joyce goes too fast for me. Like in Now or Never shoulder work, she goes a bit fast for me and the size weights I use. Or during Fast Forward Day 1 where she hops up and down doing chest/back and then on the floor for abs. I just pause and catch up with her.
I actually have Speedy Nonstop weight work memorized so I do that on my own sometimes if I don't want to use the DVD.
I have to do Definition on my own if I want to use 12,15 and 20lbs for squats.
I think the speed of the abs in Definition goes a little fast for me. That's why I like Bottoms Up Gold plus abs with the rests. Its easier on my back.
Wow, that is amazing everything you have accomplished. Do you still have the before and after pictures that used to be on Joyce's site? And when you lift heavy you just keep a safe pace? I can't imagine lifting 20 lbs with Definition and not passing out. I think Cathe's lifting speed is slower, but then again she uses heavier weights in the DVDs.

I'll add this to the check in but tonight I did Speedy Nonstop upper body with light weights, my arms are still sore from BUG+ upper body. I walked almost two miles this evening.

I also had time to preview Fat Burning and have to say her arms and back in that are wow, just incredible, forget the outfits and hair, I wonder how old she was when that was filmed. I saw some moves in that one I hadn't seen yet, and then I previewed the Bathing Suit Workout.

This is the rotation she had placed in the front of the jacket;
1)Speedy Non stop Upper Day 1/Bathing Suit Workout
2)Speedy Non Stop Lower Day 2
3)Bottoms Up Upper Day 3/Bathing Suit Workout
4)Bottoms Up Lower and Middle Day 4
5)Fat Burning Workout Upper Body/Bathing Suit Workout Day 5
6)Fat Burning Workout Lower and Middle Day 6
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 12:53 AM  
kali1

Quote:

Hi Mandy, for movements like upright rows, do you avoid them or do you modify?
kali1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 09:02 AM  
Rhonda

I bit the bullet and ordered six workouts. These are the ones I ordered:

BUG; Fast Forward; Definition; Just Joyce Bra roll/Butt; Just Joyce Arms/Thighs; Quick Quartet

Hope they are good choices.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 09:28 AM  
Buzzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
Seriously Kali??? You're here too?????

I don't need any Joyce's, but I don't know if I can resist the Joyce's... is Joyce good for a split routine? I'm currently loving Margaret Richards Sculpture as a split, and I'm feeling the pull to Joyce, because I love the low key, not heavy sweat in the summer, just lift weights of Margaret. Would Joyce make me happy?
TA Omni 90 days completed! 7/11/11-ish
Tapout XT1 90 days DONE! 6/29/13
Body Beast: Done 3/14, minus the last week. I started JNL and never looked back!
JNL DONE! 5/12/14
Buzzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 10:39 AM  
pharma_gal

What's the rotation everyone is following?
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 10:44 AM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kali1 View Post
I do upright rows with 12,15 and 20lb kettlebell for Speedy Nonstop. I don't have a problem with upright rows but I do them like Cathe said. Lift only to chest level. Or if you don't like upright rows, Joyce said to substitute any other exercise that works back.
Old 07-11-14, 10:50 AM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
I've been skipping upright rows too, but I'm never sure about a good substitute because I don't know which muscles I'm supposed to be working--the traps? The delts?
Joyce says in the book that the upright rows work the entire trapezius with a small benefit to the biceps. My dumbbell book and chart from Productive Fitness both say that upright rows work the upper trapezius, the brachialis, and the anterior and mid deltoids. Productive Fitness also modifies the exercise so that the dumbbells never go above mid-chest level. They put a warning in red, no less, that raising the dumbbells higher can hurt the shoulder.

Last edited by Betty Boop; 07-11-14 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling
Betty Boop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-14, 10:58 AM  
Mandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bethlakey View Post
Wow, that is amazing everything you have accomplished. Do you still have the before and after pictures that used to be on Joyce's site? And when you lift heavy you just keep a safe pace? I can't imagine lifting 20 lbs with Definition and not passing out. I think Cathe's lifting speed is slower, but then again she uses heavier weights in the DVDs.

I'll add this to the check in but tonight I did Speedy Nonstop upper body with light weights, my arms are still sore from BUG+ upper body. I walked almost two miles this evening.

I also had time to preview Fat Burning and have to say her arms and back in that are wow, just incredible, forget the outfits and hair, I wonder how old she was when that was filmed. I saw some moves in that one I hadn't seen yet, and then I previewed the Bathing Suit Workout.

This is the rotation she had placed in the front of the jacket;
1)Speedy Non stop Upper Day 1/Bathing Suit Workout
2)Speedy Non Stop Lower Day 2
3)Bottoms Up Upper Day 3/Bathing Suit Workout
4)Bottoms Up Lower and Middle Day 4
5)Fat Burning Workout Upper Body/Bathing Suit Workout Day 5
6)Fat Burning Workout Lower and Middle Day 6
I don't go the same speed as Joyce with Definition. I go at my own pace since I have it memorized and do it on my own(mostly the lower body). If I'm short on time, this is my go to workout. The heaviest I lift is 15 for bicep curls for Now or Never or Bottoms up Gold. For Speedy Nonstop, the heaviest I use is 10 for biceps and 15 for chest press. For Speedy lower, I have to go lighter because she does back with legs so the heaviest I use is 12 and sometimes I can't get the last rep in. I'm breathing hard and sweating! And I use my stability ball to sit on when she sits down.
I lift at a safe speed. I learned from Cathe good form since I was using Cathe before I found Joyce's DVD. Sometimes if Joyce is going to fast for alternating shoulder press, I will just do a slower double arm shoulder press.
I lift heavier for my lower body than my upper body.
I have those success story pictures somewhere packed in a box since my last move. They were taken before digital pictures. So I have the negatives somewhere.lol

Tags
dynamic tension, fast forward, joyce vedral, top shape, weight loss, weights only