Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-16-20, 09:13 AM  
sciencelady

Crone Cronies - The secret to getting ahead is getting started. Week of 2/16

The Cronies is a place for women who are mature in age or attitude. The group is highly diverse in that we have ages ranging from 30s to 60s, some are moms, some are single, some are teachers/professors, and some have jobs and work outside the home and some don’t. We do our own thing and are happy when life doesn’t get in the way too often. Some are training for a marathon, some don’t even do vids, you get the picture.

Life and exercise are what we report. A thread is started every Sunday. Some report every day, others whenever they can.

Bottom line: we are a diverse group and very supportive of each other’s goals. Oh, and we’re funny as heck. If you’d like to join us, just come on down.
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 09:18 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Quote is by Mark Twain. I'll need to get ahead and get started on a number of projects here, so it seemed to be a good quote.

I'll be going down to Madison, WI on Thursday - got Gus boarded from Thursday to Sunday, but don't know if I'll be gone that long. Hope my friend survives that long... I also hope to see friends and family down there that weekend.

Today I'm planning on walking Gus and putzing around. I've been doing my PT exercises every day. The MONDO show was good last night - ran into several friends there also .

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 02-16-20, 09:19 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Thanks for getting us started, Anita. I'm sorry about your friend. I hope you get everything done that needs to happen before you can go.

Yesterday just sort of melted away. The sun made it a pretty day, even if it was chilly. Today, we are having Mom and Dad over for lunch. I'm making a couple of new recipes to me, so I'm hoping it all turns out well. Note that I'm not really too worried about it.

Everyone have a good day.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-20, 09:21 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Anita - Yeah, Mark Twain seems totally current! It's a good quote.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-16-20, 09:16 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yin Yoga for Happy Hips with Travis Eliot. Also did a long walk with DH at Dana Point Marina. Need to do the PT routine before bed.

Anita, thanks for getting us started - the theme is oh so true, isn't it. As Laura said, Mark Twain is ever current. Glad the show was pleasant. Fingers crossed you are able to see your friend before she passes. I do hope some of your visit is more fun and less emotional.

Laura, how did your new receipes turn out? I need to find some new receipes to try - we seem to return to the same old things over and over.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-20, 07:54 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC, walking Gus and otherwise putzing around. Yesterday was a good walk day in that my hip was feeling really good - pain in the 0-2 range and a normal stride! I hope that stays a while! I'm doing a bit more decluttering - kitchen stuff I haven't touched in decades and some closet stuff I haven't worn in decades.

Yeah, I'm hoping my friend is still alive when I get down there, but she's just barely conscious these days.

Laura, what did you end up cooking for your parents?

Paula, I figure seeing her children should be good also - I'm closest with one, but there are two others currently. A fourth child died this past summer - unfortunately a murder case over a drug deal - don't know if that's gone to trial yet.

Waves to all!

Anita
Old 02-17-20, 12:13 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Hello, friends. Love the Mark Twain quote -- think I may "steal" it to use as a thought of the day for toastmasters.

Anita, I'm so sorry about your friend.

I have been MIA -- last week things got away from me and then Thursday morning I flew to Portland to check out Lewis & Clark College for my son. It was an interesting trip. I forgot that bigger cities seem to give him anxiety, so as soon as we were driving from the airport I could just sense it from him. Though the college is very close to downtown, it's another world, and I tried to be encouraging about that, but the first day he was pretty adamant he would not go to school there. We were there for an admitted students thing, and fortunately he was paired up with someone he really liked -- well, and he said he liked all the students he met, so by the end it's back on the table for him. I'm glad -- seems like it may be a good fit for him and they have offered him a fairly sizable merit scholarship.

Did a lot of walking each day while I was gone. Yesterday I got back to Cathe with LITE metabolic blast, and today I pulled out STS Meso 1 legs -- but I did it without weights for the most part. The continuing experiment. I do feel somewhat worked, but I don't think I'll have the horribly sore butt I've had sometimes. At some point I'll probably need to try to add in some weights, but I want to take it slowly. I did enjoy the workout this morning!

How are everyone's hips feeling?
Old 02-17-20, 08:43 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Today was another day that just sort of melted away. I went to the YMCA and did a strength workout. And, I went to the library this afternoon. I also cooked for myself because I left yesterday's leftovers for DH.

Yesterday, I baked turkey tenderloin and made new potatoes in the Instant Pot. It was all really good. Today, I made a bean concoction in the Instant Pot to put on tostadas. It was really good. I usually don't make New Year's resolutions, but this year I made one - to use my Instant Pot more. So far, so good.

Bee - It sounds like a good weekend with your son. Does he have schools in areas he would prefer picked out?

Anita - It's great that your hip is staying in place. Good job on continuing the decluttering. I hope it continues to go well.

Paula - Yeah, it's easy to fall into a rut with dishes you like and that are easy to fix.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 02-17-20, 09:09 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Jessica Smith's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by some of my PT routine. I need to do the entire Pt routine before bed. I wanted to work on my latest quilt today but as Laura said the day just melted away into errands, sigh.

Anita, how wonderful to have a pain (or nearly so) free day for walking. Hope that lasts for you. I'm doing stepping exercises using a step stool and that's the one that really hurts and makes me sore. I remember you mentioning the murder case which must have been awful for the whole family. Hopefully you can be of some comfort to the children when you arrive.

Bee, glad you are back. Mark Twain has any number of quotes that would be great for Toastmasters. Glad your son had a positive experience with the college visit - is this his first? Finding a college where you like the people and can make friends is huge. Good for you keeping up with exercise while you were gone - walking is great exercise and often under estimated.

Laura, well done on using your Instant Pot. I think about buying one but not sure how much I'd use it as I don't eat meat. Well done on getting to the YMCA. I need to get by the library - another thing I always mean to do but don't.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-20, 09:21 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on shoveling, taking Gus for a walk, going to PT, maybe driving down for a senior open house and shopping in that area, and working at the circus - whew!

Bee, I remember college/university shopping with my parents as a kid - it was a bit weird for me as my dad wanted to impress everyone and wasn't just an attendee . I think my dad wanted to be there more than I did. Hope you and your son can find something that fits his nature well. I liked UW-Madison as it was a ways away from home (2 hours), but easy enough to go home for a visit. They had my major also (chemical engineering).

Laura, is Instant Pot kind of like a crock pot? I use my crock pot every once in a while - it reminds me of my mom.

Paula, the hip is still feeling pretty good - I doubt it's much of what I'm doing at home with the exercises, but more the work she's doing in our session pulling on my leg (beyond humor ). I'm wondering what will last after the 6 weeks insurance allows. I'm looking forward to seeing the children, but glad they have their guides in life there for their special needs - I didn't want to inherit them .

Waves to all!

Anita