Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 02-08-20, 09:36 AM  
dbclark44

Thursday 2/6 - 3110/1.40
Friday 2/7 - 11,051/5 miles; TM 21 min/1 mile; Self weight work for chest triceps biceps; Cathe Chair Stretch

We went to PF yesterday and I signed up for a weight class that started shortly after I got there. They have a 5-person limit class size and I was the only one to sign up. It was only a 30 minute class and I was pretty disappointed in the class. There was one other lady and this instructor treated me like I was a beginner. He challenged the other girl more but had me do these 2 exercises over and over for 20 minutes then dismissed me but continued to work with her. I think he's a personal trainer and she paid for him but they stuck me in there. I get a better workout on my own so did my own self weights afterwards. PF has classes like every 30 minutes. Some sound good, so I decided to try this one. I only have this month left to use it while here, so am not really into forming a relationship, just wanted to pick up some extra tips for working out. There's a lot of equipment in PF i don't even bother with, mainly because I don't know how. They do have a intro session where they walk you around explaining how to use the different equipment, I just never signed up for it. The Y has something like it too.

At least I'll go to the gym. A lot of people are intimidated by gyms because they have no idea what to do once they get there. And 95% of the people working out in them are skinny and in shape. I am surprised no one has started a gym chain titled Plus Size Gym. I'd join up as a lifetime member to one of those.

Yesterday after DH and I saw another movie I wouldn't waste time or money on (Birds of Prey) we ordered some food to go that was gonna take 25-30 minutes. SO while we waited I walked around the strip mall to get in some steps because I was about 2K short of 10. It was nice enough out that you only needed a light sweater. Right now it's 52 and sunny. Perfect walking weather. I need to stop letting him pick the movies.

As you can see I am really enjoying Cathe's Chair Stretch. It's not sold alone but is on one of her Step Boss dvds. So Leslie, when you get the chance to buy the download it's on, I recommend it. The older I get, the harder it is to get up and down off the floor to workout or stretch. I avoid any Cathe workout that has you go up and down off the floor, which is why I like this stretch and Slim & Limber so much.

This is a lengthy post. I rambled in this one. Hope you ladies have a great Saturday.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 11:41 PM  
cdayley

Hi, ladies. 2 mile treadmill walk for me today. DH and I have been trading a virus back and forth - I had a horrible headache all day Thursday, he had it that night. He had a stomachache today, then I got it. They repaired the walls at work yesterday and got them all ready to paint, so hopefully we won't have paint fumes on Monday. We went and got me a new vehicle today - a Ford Escape. I've never had a brand new car! I told DH I'm going to keep it forever. I won't have to slip and slide into work when it snows anymore.
Deb, I think your gym idea is a great one. You would have lots of life time members. Your walking weather makes me jealous
Chrys Dayley
cdayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-20, 07:00 AM  
dbclark44

Saturday 2/8 - 11,634/5.29

We stayed put all day yesterday and I took 2 separate 2-mile walks. Between them and moving I got in a good 5 miles. DH went out and got his 10K in in one walk. I prefer to split mine up and walk alone so I can listen to music and walk at my own pace. I won't listen to music when I walk with him because I feel like it's rude. We don't talk much when we walk together but I still want to hear and respond if he does.

On my morning walk I stopped at a garage sale and looked at a bike. It was only $20 but it was rusty and the tires needed air. I would have had to walk it back to the condo and figure out how to get air in the tires. The lady came out and spoke to me. She had a pool table inside the garage that she was trying to get rid of. She got to talking to me and I found out her husband passed in September from liver cancer and she planned to sell the house and move to Ohio with her family. She was so friendly. Invited me in and showed me the house. I was thinking to myself how trusting we both were. She could have had someone lying in wait to knock me out or I could be scoping out her situation to come back later to do her harm. You never know in this day and age and unfortunately that's how you have to think. If it had been a man, I wouldn't have gone in that house alone. But she and I clicked and felt safe with one another. This is a sad sad world we live in now a days. Too many people want to take what isn't theirs and do others harm.

I enjoy walking through the neighborhoods. The homes are so interesting to look at. There are multi-units, single family homes, duplexes, villas and none of them are the least bit alike or standard. Traffic on the residential streets is minimal which is why I like getting off the main road and walking up and down them. DH just gets on the main road and goes for 2 miles then turns around to come back. Boring. I am just so glad he's motivated to do something. I am proud of him for that.

Chrys, congratulations on your new car! Isn't it nice. Every 10 years I try and buy a new one. I'm due for a new one inn 2022. But like you I just may hang onto it longer than that. Being retired, I don't have moolah like I used to. Ford Escape will definitely keep you safe out there on your roads.

Have a great Sunday ladies.

Old 02-10-20, 12:01 PM  
Sissy B

Wednesday, 2/5 - 6795 steps/2.88 miles
Thursday, 2/6 - 6145 steps/2.6 miles
Friday, 2/7 - 5029 steps/2.13 miles
Saturday, 2/8 - 7591 steps/3.21 miles
Sunday, 2/9 - 4464 steps/1.89 miles

I have to take my car back tomorrow to have the tire checked again. The tire pressure indicator light came on again when we were coming home from church yesterday morning. DH checked the air in the tires last night and even with a new tire, the right rear tire is still losing significant amount of air. The old tire did have a leak, have no idea what's going on now. Hopefully, the valve stem just needs to be replaced or something simple like that.

Deb - Sorry you were treated that way. At the Planet Fitness DH goes to they offer free one on one personal training. He has done a few sessions in the past.

Chrys - Congratulations on your new car! Like Deb, we drive them forever before we buy a new one. Although DH has said that if my car/tire keeps acting up he's going to replace my car. I go back and forth to see DD and he wants to know it's reliable.

I have done a couple of 5 minute sessions on my rower (Friday & Saturday). I'm starting slow because I have really not been working out and the rower is a new piece of equipment for me. Concept 2 recommends beginning with 5 minute sessions.
Sissy B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-20, 02:30 PM  
Sissy B

Monday, 2/10 - 5556 steps/2.35 miles
Tuesday, 2/11 - 5439 steps/2.3 miles

Took my car down yesterday and they checked my tire out thoroughly and did not find any leaks and it had not lost any air since DH aired it up on Sunday night. He did say it was possible that the valve stem hadn’t sealed right and when DH added air to the tire it pulled it into place. We’ll keep an eye on it and see.

I did short workouts on my rower Monday and Tuesday.
Old 02-13-20, 09:56 AM  
dbclark44

Sunday 2/9 - 2192/1.02
Monday 2/10 - ?
Tuesday 2/11 - 6530/2.88
Wednesday 2/12 - 10824/5.07; Neighborhood walk 65 min/2.94 miles; Self weights total upper body workout; Bike 15 min/2.5 miles; Cathe Chair Stretch

I don't know what I did Monday. We took a drive to Sanibel Island which was nice. You cross a long bridge and there are beaches all up and down the gulf. These beaches you drive your car up to and find a spot to park. There are parking lots but it's so convenient to drive up to the beach and be able to park. There is also a long bike trail. There are a couple of bike shops to rent bikes from. It definitely had that island feel to it with shops and restaurants. But man oh man was it congested. Traffic was a mess with only one 2-lane road in and out the island proper. It was crowded. We didn't do any walking. We drove over there to go to the movie. DH finally picked out a good one we hadn't seen yet - "Harriet". I enjoyed it. Theater was old fashioned with a slanting floor and smaller screen than I've become used to. One aisle with seats only to the left as you walked in. Very small and quaint theater.

Tuesday we took the shuttle boat to Ft Myers beach. It left at 9 and returned at 2. So you only got a good 4 hours on the ground once you get there. First order of business was to find a place serving breakfast so we could get us some brunch. We didn't have to go far once we got off the boat and went a block. Had a great breakfast. Then we walked 5 minutes down to the beach and found a spot to squat with chairs and umbrella. DH went in and paid the honorary $40 for the rental although we were only going to be sitting there for 30 minutes if that. It felt so good on the beach. I put my feet in the water and let the waves wash over my legs. Then sat in the beach chair under the umbrella safe from the sun which was quite warm that day.

I enjoyed my day at the beach and told DH next time I want to spend the night. 4 hours gives you the lay of the land so you know what to look for when you come back. But it doesn't give you enough time to enjoy it longer.

Anyway, yesterday we finally made it to PF. DH was dragging when he got up and didn't really want to go but went because I did. Once he got there he knocked out his 10K on the treadmill and felt better for it. Wi-fi was pretty spotty there yesterday so I didn't stream Cathe but did my own thing. Hit all 5 upper body parts with 2 exercises each part. Chest presses and curls for chest; concentration bicep and hammer curls for biceps; one-arm row and lying over head pulls and deadlifts for back; french press and skull crushers for triceps; lateral raises side and front for shoulders. I do pretty good on my own. 3 sets of 12-15 reps each. PF has a nice side area with a bench that I hogged yesterday to workout in. Afterwards I got on the bike and rode for 15 minutes and came home and did Cathe Chair stretch out on the lanai after we got back. We have no plans today so I think I'll stream some Cathe lower body standing work later on.

This time here has been like a dream. While my home town is enduring cold weather and wearing hats and gloves, I wear shorts and sandals to go to the beach. We're in a 80+ degree temperature streak right now even with the breese it is warm. Once the sun comes up I don't go walking. Too warm and uncomfortable for me. But it is nice I have to tell you. And we've learned the area and really like this area. We plan to come back next year but only for one month vs two. Two months is a bit long especially in a 1-BR 1-BA environment. But I least I have the lanai.

Sissy, glad the issue with the tire seems to be resolved for the moment.

Tomorrow is Valentine's Day and there have been ads up for specials all week. They call it Valentine's week and the weekend will be called Valentine's weekend. Doesn't help Valentine Day is on a Friday this year.

Have a great Thursday ladies.

Old 02-13-20, 03:54 PM  
Sissy B

Wednesday, 2/11 - 4643 steps/1.96 miles

I did a 5 minute workout on my rower yesterday.
Old 02-14-20, 06:48 AM  
dbclark44

Thursday 2/13 - 2350/1.07; Essentrics Sessions (1.5); Cathe Yoga Relax

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY ladies!!!

And may you have a great day. DH and I are meeting up with Denise and Rick in Punta Gorda for lunch then rent a motor boat to cruise for a few hours. It's going to be another nice day here with temps in the 80s after the dense fog clears.

DH and I stayed in all day yesterday, me out on the lanai streaming TV shows I hadn't watched yet. Been doing pretty good keeping up by casting and streaming. Just have to go home and clear my DVR.

Anyway, yesterday was a relax and stretch day for me. I signed up for a free trial with Essentrics and as most often happens forgot about it and didn't use it until I saw a charge for the month on my bill. So of course I did what any sensibly minded person would do I cancelled it. It's good thru 20 Feb so I gave it a whirl yesterday and watched one with Miranda. It was day 1 of her 13 day challenge which started 1 Jan and went to 13 Jan. Anyway, that streamed fine. Then I tried to do another in the library with Jenny - a full body workout but it stopped streaming. So I streamed the majority of Cathe Yoga Relax and called it a day. I love working outside on the lanai. I bought a $5 yoga mat and used it for the first time yesterday. It hadn't got too hot yesterday so it was perfect.

I have to tell you, the last time I tried Essentrics, I wasn't feeling it. I think I'm a believer now. I've noticed how much I sit still and need to move more at times. And just simple chair stretches that can be done while watching TV is amazing.I love the way she talked about connective tissue and all that other stuff. If you really really put your body into these moves you will feel it and feel better without being sore. SO I need to try a few more of these workouts now that I'm in a different place in my life and ready to keep my body moving for the long term. Heck I'm 61, and although there are a lot in my age group miles ahead of me I am still proud of what I can do. I felt these as I went thru the moves with her and even worked up a sweat. And you know I love my Cathe chair stretch. She did a great job on that one especially for women of advancing age who struggle to get up and down off the floor. You know when I go to PF I hate getting down on the floor. I avoid it. So I modify and try to do all standing or sitting if I grab the bench in there. I did that when we went to PF Wednesday. Hogged that bench for a good hour. I know people wanted it but I got to it first and I wasn't giving it up until I was done.

Anyway ladies, have a great Happy Valentine's Day Friday!!! Be safe tonight if you go out, it may be extra crazy out. DH and I plan to be in before dark. We are not night people and don't do the night life. Just not our thing.Sitting around watching TV, drinking wine or some crown at home is a perfect evening for the both of us. I think he wanted to go out yesterday,and got dressed told me where he was going asked if I wanted to go, of which I said no. Then he started watching golf and never did go out. He gets more antsy and anxious than I do and feels the need to move. I think it's only because the condo is so small and he just feels he needs some space. It is small with 1-Br 1 BA. But it's also gorgeous with a screened in lanai that faces the canal. It's just one long room when you walk in the front door, full sized kitchen bedroom and bath off to the right . It's small but I don't have any issue staying put and chilling. When he's home in IL he's not like this. He can stay home for days. I know it's because of the space. He has lot's space in IL, this is pretty small here. But we made it work. We're down to 2 weeks left before we head back home. This first snowbird foray has been a blast and I have thoroughly enjoyed it. We learned the area and love it. Next year we'll only do a month. 2 months in this small a unit is a challenge.

Anyway, I ramble this morning. Have a great day.

Old 02-14-20, 11:48 AM  
Sissy B

Happy Valentine's Day!!!

Thursday, 2/13 - 8763 steps/3.71 miles

Yesterday I ran errands. I went to the library. I picked up a few things from Target, got some oysters from the seafood market and went to The Fresh Market and Publix to get other groceries. I have all the things I need for our Valentine's Day dinner tonight. We're staying home and having Oysters Rockefeller and Cheese Fondue with bread and apple dippers for dinner and I got chocolate-covered strawberries for dessert. I also picked up the $20 Meal Deal at The Fresh Market to cook this weekend - Chicken Parmesan.

I did not get on my rower yesterday, I was tired so I needed the rest day.

Deb - I understand your DH's need for space and his need to get out of the condo. Even though our condo near campus is a 2 bedroom/2 1/2 bath, it's half the size of our house so it feels really small. It's 2 story, so the bedrooms and 2 of the bathrooms are upstairs. There is a balcony off the master bedroom and a small fenced in patio off the kitchen in the back, but there's not much room to move around in general. As long as he can watch TV, my DH is fine. I'm the one who needs to get out from time to time.
Old 02-15-20, 11:12 AM  
dbclark44

Today - Cathe Step Boss PHA 3 (sans weights)

Just did this with no weights out on the lanai. It's 73 degrees now sunny and balmy. Workout got my body heated up too even without weights. There is a lot to working bodyweight only sometimes. It also gives me a chance to practice the move correctly so when I do use weights I'll do it better. I worked upper and lower. Some of the lower I subbed different exercises to protect the knees, but overall PHA 3 is a keeper.

DH went to meet one of our church brothers who's out on here on a business trip with his wife. I opted to stay in and jumped on this workout soon as he left.

We had a great Valentine's Day with our friends Denise and Rick. We had lunch at a rooftop restaurant in downtown Punta Gorda. Then we walked across the street to the marina and rented a motorboat for couple hours. We had a great time in the boat cruising in and out of canals looking at some gorgeous water front homes. The weather was perfect.

Didn't feel like walking this morning so stayed put and streamed the Cathe.

Have a great Saturday ladies!!!

Tags
fitbit, fitness tracker, fitness trackers