Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-05-20, 08:16 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
Road Altra hands down the Escalante.
Thanks Sandy, that's what I thought.
Old 02-05-20, 10:49 AM  
Vantreesta

My favorite running shoe is Altra Olympus by far, but I have an older model. I haven't tried the newer models. I was sad I had to retire my pink ones last year.

I have used the Zen Labs 10k trainer app for several years now. I love it and it always gets me ready for races. I recently downloaded the Zombies Run 5k Trainer app (this is separate from the Zombies Run game type app I've been using for a few years). I did the first day yesterday with Cyric. This was the setup: 10 minute brisk walk then 10 rounds of walk 60 seconds slow run 15 seconds then 10 minute freeform run, which they described as doing whatever run/walk times you wanted. I actually only did the first few run intervals slowly and then used the rest to work on speed. I didn't think I would like such short intervals but I was able to hit a max pace of 6:38, I think, and it was actually quite fun to do this. I had planned to run more of the last 10 minutes than we did but Cyric was kind of over it by then. We ran laps and I think he got bored. I have the 10k trainer sessions written out. Let me know if you want some examples of it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-20, 09:15 AM  
buffmama

Thanks Vannie. Looks like the Olympus are meant to be trail shoes and the apps don't seem to be available on Android. One less thing for me to think about perhaps.
Old 02-06-20, 09:35 AM  
SandyO

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffmama View Post
Thanks Vannie. Looks like the Olympus are meant to be trail shoes and the apps don't seem to be available on Android. One less thing for me to think about perhaps.
The Altra Olympus are trail, but the old model that Vannie and I have have served us well on the roads. I can't say how they are in the new models. They are a max cushion.

Sandy O
Old 02-06-20, 10:13 AM  
Vantreesta

Yes, I almost exclusively run on the road and the Olympus is fantastic. I have an Android so you should be able to find the apps in the Play store like I did.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 02-06-20, 03:41 PM  
buffmama

The newer Olympus got terrible reviews - like a lot of their redesigned shoes sadly - and they're even more than the Escalante!!

Vannie - I would love to see some of the sample intervals for the 10K. I have my training distances written out and am thinking that I'd like to use some interval on my shorter runs. Maybe once a week?
Old 02-08-20, 01:19 AM  
Vantreesta

For the Zen Labs 10k trainer app, every session starts and ends with 5 min warmup/cooldown walk

Week 1, all days same--60 sec jog 90 sec walk alternating for total of 20 min

Week 2, all days same--90 sec jog 2 min walk alternating for total of 20 min

Week 3, all days same (this is where I usually start)--2 repetitions of 90 sec jog 90 sec walk 3 min jog 3 min walk

Week 9, all days same--jog 10 min walk 1 min, repeat 4x

And of course each week the running time gets longer and by week 14 you're running 60 minutes straight. There are a couple times where the progression feels like a bigger jump to me but I think it's a really sound plan, for me anyway. Weeks 5, 6, 8, 13 and 14 have some variances between days instead of all sessions for the week being the same. HTH!

Old 02-08-20, 02:47 PM  
SandyO

I never bookmarked Barlates sliding disk or rebounder workouts at my previous house because everything was carpet, and I couldn't rig anything up that worked well for gliding, and my rebounder was in the basement, and my internet was on the top floor. At the new place the floors are all non-carpet, so I use socks for gliders, and the new internet TV is in the basement, so I set up playlists, so I can do gliders and bouncing workouts on the ground floor. The gliding workouts have been quad burners without much fun factor, but the bouncing workouts are a blast! I planned a warm up and workout, so two of her classes, but I kept going and did two more classes. I'm sure I will regret it, like sore knees and/or back tomorrow, but already today I found I got a hot spot on the bottom of both big toes because I wore my Vibrams. I have been wearing them for weights and KBs, but not for bouncing around.

Sandy O
Old 02-10-20, 09:45 PM  
Vantreesta

Cyric and I did wk1 day2 of ZR5k. He got tired of running laps so I left him at the house at 1.95 miles. I did a total of 2.8 with my fastest pace being 6:01 this time. It's fun running that fast when I know it's so short!

Old 02-11-20, 08:21 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
For the Zen Labs 10k trainer app, every session starts and ends with 5 min warmup/cooldown walk

Week 1, all days same--60 sec jog 90 sec walk alternating for total of 20 min

Week 2, all days same--90 sec jog 2 min walk alternating for total of 20 min

Week 3, all days same (this is where I usually start)--2 repetitions of 90 sec jog 90 sec walk 3 min jog 3 min walk

Week 9, all days same--jog 10 min walk 1 min, repeat 4x

And of course each week the running time gets longer and by week 14 you're running 60 minutes straight. There are a couple times where the progression feels like a bigger jump to me but I think it's a really sound plan, for me anyway. Weeks 5, 6, 8, 13 and 14 have some variances between days instead of all sessions for the week being the same. HTH!
Thanks Vannie for posting this. You posted your fastest pace - is that in mph or mile per min? Cause if you're running 6 min/miles I bow down to you!