Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-12-14, 06:21 PM  
cristinalatina

Chiropractic

Friends,

I have written before about lingering pelvic/tailbone pain and instability since my pregnancy 17 months ago, which has prevented me from working out as before.

After seeing a physio with limited success (although I was shown a very beneficial technique to relax the behind muscles with a tennis ball and told not to cross my legs, ever) I decided, out of desperation, to see a chiropractor.

The alignment was quite scary to be honest, I was afraid I'd slide off the bed and the chiropractor was holding my arms with one arm and twisting my hips the other way with the other. I heard a loud crack and I thought, God, that can't be good.

Yet, the range of motion I had since the treatment was amazing. I did have some tailbone tenderness after the manipulation, but also 3 full pain free days, despite lifting a heavy toddler up several flights of stairs!

So, my humble question to you all is, does it work? Have you found it working for similar conditions? I am trying to find evidence that it does, yet I am unable!
Old 10-12-14, 06:47 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I have found chiropractic adjustments very useful when my chronic hip pain flared up. I don't feel that chiropractic is much use for the medical conditions they claim to help, but for musculoskeletal problems they can very often provide immediate and excellent relief.

I will say that I've also learned how to reduce the occurrences of my pain by changing my exercise program, but that's just me. I've also found that foam rolling and Jill Miller Yoga Tune Up style ball rolling help a lot as well.

Good luck.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 06:48 PM  
BunnyHop

Have you read this article on the Skeptic's Dictionary website?

http://www.skepdic.com/chiro.html

My advice? Educate yourself, draw your own well-informed conclusions, and proceed with great caution.

From what I've read, chiropractic is based on a series of beliefs that IMO, don't seem to be rooted in fact, physiology or even logic.

For me, the fact that belief is even an issue raises all sorts of alarms.

Apparently there are some studies that say that chiropractic can sometimes provide relief for certain kinds of pain, which is nice, but when you consider how many other claims chiropractic practitioners have made since their beginnings, it's kind of underwhelming.

(Some of my own skepticism is rooted in my distrust of the way they've managed to gain the right to bill insurance companies, and have managed to prevent the membership of the AMA from criticizing them. I've also heard some sad stories about unethical billing practices, and how seeking chiropractic help delayed someone from receiving actual medical treatment.)
BunnyHop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 06:56 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I've only been to a chiropractor a couple of times because the one I went to was too 'out there' for my taste, but I have a friend who goes for a back problem and says it helps her, so who knows. I have another friend who went for a couple of years for carpal tunnel syndrome and said it helped her. It was getting too expensive so she switched to a massage therapist and hasn't had any problems since.

I tend to believe more in massage therapy personally because I've had good success with that. You said you've been to a physio, but have you been to a massage therapist? If not, maybe you could give it a try and see what you think.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 07:01 PM  
Scorpio6

Yes to Chiropractic

Hi Cristina,
I have structural problems and could not live without my regular chiropractic and acupuncture treatments. I also have tailbone issues which have been helped tremendously by activator technique which is one of the techniques my chiro uses. The activator is a device that looks like a miniature, handheld pogo stick, and instead of twisting your entire back, it is used to apply pressure to the exact spot that needs it.

Another technique my chiro uses is applied kinesiology, which does muscle testing to find out what needs to be adjusted and in what way. The body has an amazing way of talking to us about what it needs.

If one technique doesn't work for you, start calling around and see if somebody in your area does activator technique or applied kinesiology.

Good luck!
Scorpio6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 07:10 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio6 View Post
Hi Cristina,
I also have tailbone issues which have been helped tremendously by activator technique which is one of the techniques my chiro uses. The activator is a device that looks like a miniature, handheld pogo stick, and instead of twisting your entire back, it is used to apply pressure to the exact spot that needs it.
Are you talking about something that sounds like a stapler?

I had muscle testing too and I will get the results at my next visit.

Friends, I am skeptical but I did get relief! I mean I started a recent thread about doing only housework and avoiding side steps. Pelvic instability is so painful it can interfere with daily life, not just workouts.

My ultimate fitness goal would be to have another child. I find it unlikely to find the courage to proceed though with an active toddler if my condition doesn't improve (I am afraid I would be immobilised again and unable to care for my son!)
Old 10-12-14, 07:23 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

I've been seeing my chiropractor since the late 1990's. I hurt my back doing a video workout. Along with sciatica it caused 3 herniated disks, and other things. The chiropractor was good at keeping the disks off the nerves. The sciatica pain just wouldn't quit so I finally had an epidural cortisone injection.

After knee replacement surgery I developed pelvic instability. I'm sorry you have this, too. After 2 months of physical therapy the muscles still don't hold the pelvis and sacrum where they need to be. I'm back to the chiropractor to relieve the pain. My pelvic instability is a muscle problem that he can't fix. Maybe with me working the muscles that need to be worked and stretched, and him getting me into alignment, things will eventually get better. Since my pelvis/sacrum has been unstable for 7 years I really don't believe it will ever get better but maybe the pain will ease up some.

It doesn't matter what other people think of chiropractic. It's what you think.

Trust no one. - X-Files, and me.

Comfort food only provides comfort while it's in your mouth. - Me
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 08:29 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

It sounds to me like you already have your answer, really. Pain-free days despite carrying a toddler up and down stairs? Sounds to me like it worked!

I see my chiropractor occasionally. I have found chiropractic to be very helpful for musculoskeletal issues. I don't think they can prevent ear infections or cure the common cold, but then, my chiropractor doesn't make those claims. He works on my neck and shoulders, plain and simple, and when I am having muscle spasms I can get 80% relief in one visit, 90% relief in two, and 100% relief in three. That's usually, for me, a Monday/Wednesday/Friday. Regular medical care for the same consisted of muscle relaxants and strong painkillers and I had about as half as much progress in a week as I can get in one appointment with my chiropractor. I am far more skeptical of tradition medicine when it comes to back pain than I am of chiropractic!
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-14, 08:48 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

I see my chiropractor twice a month in conjunction with massage therapy. I missed my last appointment because of scheduling issues and I can tell that I've missed it. My regular appointments keep me headache-free. I've had headache issues since a really bad car accident when I was in my twenties. Chiropractic adjustments have helped me.

Different strokes for different folks. I say that if you've experienced pain relief from your chiropractic visit, that would be validation enough for me to continue with it.
Old 10-12-14, 09:17 PM  
athompson10
VF Supporter

Mixed experience with chiropractic here. When I was first diagnosed with a disc problem, chiropractic adjustment helped control the pain initially. I stopped going when I took up Pilates, which for me seems to combine the best of chiro (joint mobility, spinal awareness, some stretching) with the strength work I'd done in PT.

My husband had a terrible experience with chiro which has put him off forever; the guy tried adjustments to help DH's TMJ and almost dislocated his jaw. He was in throbbing, aching, swollen pain for a couple of days.

Listen to your body: if you're pain free after chiro, it's working for you.

Tags
chiropractic, chiropractor