Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-23-21, 12:53 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam61 View Post

I'm currently reading Dana K. White's book "Decluttering at the Speed of Light" to help with the motivation.

So far I've only tackled my clothes towards the end of 2020, and for January I'm looking at all of my kitchen stuff now.

Has anyone heard of Dawn from "the Minimal Mom." She has lots of YouTube video. And I've recently discovered Cassandra, who categorizes people's organizing styles into bug names...Ladybugs, Butterflies, etc.

Anyway, I've done very little because I like to read....and workout, LOL!
I have/had the Dana White book which I like. I can't find it though. I might have decluttered it during my last book purge.
Where can I find Cassandra?
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 10:00 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by lreidgreen View Post
I have/had the Dana White book which I like. I can't find it though. I might have decluttered it during my last book purge.
Where can I find Cassandra?
Hey if this link below doesn't work search for Clutter bug on YouTube

https://youtube.com/c/OrganizedClutterbug

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-21, 10:17 PM  
fanofladyvols

I have taken Cassandra's advice and rearranged cabinet contents to make room for my daughter's nutribullet. Now both cabinets are uncluttered and things are easier to access that we use more often.
Got rid of some unused items and decluttered the cabinet above the fridge (aka the kitchen cabinet black hole. ) Finally, I decluttered the kitchen junk drawer.

Then I went through each room in the house looking for one item to eliminate.

I have a bag and a box full of items to go to the thrift store.

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 01-26-21, 09:18 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Then I went through each room in the house looking for one item to eliminate.
That is a great idea! I think I'll try this method for a while and see how it goes.

I have a box for the thrift shop that is almost ready to go. I finally got back to selling on ebay and a couple books will sell. I've got a few other items in mind that I'd like to sell but haven't gotten around to posting. Prepping for taxes has led to some paper decluttering. I've still got more to do. In general, I'm off to a slow start for decluttering for the New Year but at least I've finally started!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-21, 10:04 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
That is a great idea! I think I'll try this method for a while and see how it goes.
I took that idea from Cassandra!

And I love your Tom Holland quote!

Old 01-26-21, 10:11 PM  
Vantreesta

This morning I listened to the One Organized Mama podcast episode called Is Your Home Depressing You. I haven't finished it yet but she had some good tips.

I've listened to the ClutterBug podcast too. The Easy Way Isn't Making You Happy episode really resonated with me and I have left it on my playlist to listen to a few more times!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 04:55 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thanks for the referral - i borrowed Cassandra Aarssen's book as an Overdrive e-book from the library, and according to the quiz, i am a Bee.

my house is a huge "pile" zone as we go thru massive decluttering, spurred by 2 of my sons, DS18 and DS22.

at my physical office for work, we are in the process of moving to another building in April, however, we have been instructed to pack our things so that they can go into storage. we are all still working remotely, so they gave each person a chance to sign up for a slot to go into the office alone and pack.

i filled 1.5 garbage cans (the large round ones that fit a large lawn bag) of trash, mostly magazines, not to mention about 5, 3" binders of shred items that went into the shred bin. i also managed to consolidate some of my boxes into smaller boxes. i took 3 boxes home of "personal" items like paper goods, excess office supplies that i purchased on my own, etc.

on the way home, i donated a small bag of items to the thrift store. i browsed around but didn't see anything i wanted to buy except maybe some handles for beachbody resistance bands. still, i went home empty-handed, save for a coupon for donating.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-21, 06:39 PM  
DCW

"Even an elephant can be eaten; one bite at a time". This is my decluttering mantra. I am tackling the small drawers and getting something done feels amazing. A friend loved my small writing desk and needed it. So it has a new home.

We are still tackling adult DD stuff but with her back home she is tossing her stuff left and right.

Our next big item is our China cabinet.. Maybe that will be this weekends project, emptying it. I am thinking of upgrading our regular dishes. We have mixed matches of everything. Some plates I have no idea how they got into my home.
DCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 06:02 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

how could i forget? we arranged for "bulky pickup" to pick up this old "entertainment center" armoire-looking thing (huge and bulky) and a small desk. these were all hand-me-downs.

two other pieces of furniture might also leave our home. one is a loveseat and the other is an old telescope.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 10:51 AM  
sherry7899

bzar, I wish we had a bulky furniture pick up in our area! However, anything we put out at the curb does get taken by people who scour the neighborhood for things.

I ordered an Amazon Basics shredder that is coming today. We are expecting a blizzard, so I will have plenty of time to go through the mountain of papers we have.

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter