Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-11-21, 07:37 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

I'm trying to do a bit of decluttering every day - toss or donate. Right now I'm sleeping in dd old room b/c dh tested positive for covid, so I've been getting rid of stuff she's done with. (back story here - our dd moved out probably like lots of other college kids - to a dorm, home, repeat, to an apartment senior year then got an apartment with her bf when that lease was up.) So she has way too much left in her old room. She's gone through some of it but with covid and her working crazy hours getting rid of stuff hasn't been a priority. since i'm crashing in there for now I've made progress.

My decluttering is often a small thing but it's progress.

fanofladyvols - it does help to have it sorted out by 'genre' doesn't it?

bzar - combining dvds into cases seemed like a cheat but it really has made it easier for me as everything fits in my space now.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 08:07 PM  
fanofladyvols

eventmom Sorry that your husband tested positive I am praying your husband has mild symptoms and for your health, too!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 10:38 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
eventmom Sorry that your husband tested positive
same here!

i have a large lawn bag of items DS22 and i rounded up from the patio.

i also started another donate bag of items from inside the house. also created a box of books to be given to my niece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
uh oh...that's not a reaction you want to have when you have them all together. They should bring you joy. The vidiot in me says put them back in different places again, lol.

Maybe you need to condense like eventmom has. This week i purged a few that were in my purgatory but I still have a few more there. I just don't want to be hasty because some DVDs are not easy to replace...at least not at the price I would pay.
LOL. my DVDs have some sort of entitlement once they arrive in my collection. it's so hard to get rid of them because they've reached a high status in my belongings. but i have to come to terms with letting go of them. i am giving it a lot of thought.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-21, 11:10 PM  
Vantreesta

My workouts is one area I have no intention of decluttering!

I don't read often anymore bc I won't put the book down to do anything else but I have a goal to read and then donate six books this year. The only hard part about this is I keep wanting to just read my favorite authors but I'm not getting rid of those books! So I hope setting this goal will help me read some of the others I have.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 12:43 AM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I don't read often anymore bc I won't put the book down to do anything else but I have a goal to read and then donate six books this year. The only hard part about this is I keep wanting to just read my favorite authors but I'm not getting rid of those books! So I hope setting this goal will help me read some of the others I have.
there was a time when i stopped buying books, and got rid of books that were available in the library. this went on for >10 years. then i suddenly started collecting books, namely cookie cookbooks.

from that surge of collecting, i decided recently to start purging, and it was tough. i managed to choose around 10 cookbooks. 2 were donated and the other 8 i'm taking to a used bookstore to see if it's worth anything.

one of the criteria was if it was available in the public library, it was going. our public library has an online catalog. another criteria: if Amazon reviewers made negative comments about actual experience with the recipes, it was going. many reviewers never actually try recipes in books that they review - did you ever notice that?!

most of these books were bought for $1 and if any of the recipes caught my eye, i bought it. so easy to come, so hard to let go!

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
Old 01-12-21, 08:45 AM  
Vantreesta

Jeannine, I haven't even thought about my cookbooks. I have two small bookshelves completely full of them! I had my own but then I also got most of my grandma's when she passed. I don't know if I'll go through and purge any of those or not.

I used the Bookmobile all the time growing up and devoured books, but as an adult I have only used the library for CDs and audiobooks and even that has been many years ago now. Since I can't let myself sit and read I couldn't finish books before they were due. I only buy books at thrift stores and flea markets though so at least they're all cheap!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-21, 12:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

thanks bzar and fanofladyvols (and anyone else who mentioned it) DH's case is very mild, like a sinus infection. I tested negative?? It was crazy b/c he goes to whole foods (b/c they are serious about wearing masks) and his pilates session (mask again careful) and that's all! we have no idea how he got exposed.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 06:22 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
thanks bzar and fanofladyvols (and anyone else who mentioned it) DH's case is very mild, like a sinus infection. I tested negative?? It was crazy b/c he goes to whole foods (b/c they are serious about wearing masks) and his pilates session (mask again careful) and that's all! we have no idea how he got exposed.
i am glad he is doing ok. is the "all clear" period something like 21 days after diagnosis? do you have to go back and get retested?

my godfather was hospitalized in the early outset back in March. he was in the hospital for about 40 days, 3 weeks of which he was on a ventilator! and he was in great shape before contracting the disease. since May he has been doing fine. fortunately his wife tested negative - similar to your situation. they live in Virginia.

on the decluttering front, i gave 2 large totes of clothing to my sister to give to her daughters and grandsons. several pieces of the women's clothing (mine....ack!) still have tags - some nice DKNY shorts.

i have to prune my clothing collection.

Old 01-23-21, 12:15 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
My workouts is one area I have no intention of decluttering!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post

most of these books were bought for $1 and if any of the recipes caught my eye, i bought it. so easy to come, so hard to let go!
I have started to read books on my shelf toward the goal of getting rid of them. I boxed up and donated a bunch last month that I knew I wouldn't get to and I just finished reading one this week that I am going to pass on to a friend. I hope to continue this habit but I am sure I will get sidetracked by books not on my shelf.
Jeanine: sometimes I just tear the recipes out of the cookbook and place in a my recipe binder and toss or give away the book.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-21, 12:40 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

I am shocked I tell you shocked that so many of us have issues with too many workout DVDs.
Our family room remodel has been postponed due to COVID. The only contractor we could find to do it is DHs friend who will need his help. It is not possible to stay 6 feet apart from someone while laying sheetrock so we decided to err on the side of caution. In anticipation of the project I started to declutter and remove stuff and I did manage to sell one of one of the 3 desks we are going to get rid of. It was the nicest one but I am glad we did it because it was a bear to move out to the garage and my son was around to help.
I have not been able to list my knee scooter on FB marketplace because they consider it medical equipment. I see others listed there so I don't get it.
I am feeling overwhelmed by too much stuff -yesterday a belated holiday gift from DHs friend arrived. One of the several wrapped packages included a piece of the Berlin wall (with an authentication certificate, FWIW) It set me off into a clutter related anxiety attack.
Decluttering win: Deciding to get rid of 2 "fancy" tablecloths that no longer fit my lifestyle.
Decluttering Goals:
File Cabinet contents (hope to get rid of half of the contents at least)
Another purge of books (my son recently tossed many of his college books as well as the ones I donated in December)
More household stuff
Get an authentication app so I can sell stuff on Amazon.
Donate the knee scooter if I can't sell it.
Possibly get rid of my rebounder that I never use.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
career advice, declutter, decluttering, downsizing, sentimental clutter