Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 04-14-21, 08:59 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
I may join in here once in awhile, too! I am thinking the month of May will be a good time for me to focus more on Pilates.

Right now I'm doing a loose version of Jessica Smith's Walk Strong 1.0

But May would be a good time to focus on Pilates.....

Donna
The more the merrier!
Old 04-14-21, 09:01 AM  
buffmama

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathTeacher View Post
I am doing Moving Mango's 30 Days of Light. We have about 6 and half weeks of school left. My goal is to be done by then.

Yesterday I did Day 2 Courage. It was very interesting.
Inquiring minds want to know - how was it interesting?

I've done 1 or 2 of her practices but find I have to spend a lot of energy just listening since she's so soft spoken.
Old 04-14-21, 09:14 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I decided since the first of April to really get into Pilates. I borrowed a bunch of books from the library and I have a fair amount of videos from some years ago when I practiced it until life got in the way.

I've been doing Pilates three times a week since then, and I intend to keep at it until I can do the abdominal five exercises smoothly without having to take a break both for my abs and my neck.

I do have some back issues so I avoid exercises where you lie on your stomach and arch the back upwards I don't even dare try those exercises for fear of injury. At some point I might try them under supervision, but not at home.
Old 04-15-21, 07:25 AM  
buffmama

Mvmt with Cailin 40 min Standing Pilates Extended Workout. Despite being standing this had a good amount of spinal articulation. Thought this was good and hit all the parts of the body. I mix up my instructors as it keeps things fresh and each had a little different spin on things.
Old 04-15-21, 07:55 AM  
donnamp

Hi!

I subscribe to Jessica Valent's Unlimited - she also has a You Tube channel where she generally posts shorter versions of her Unlimited workouts.

She is a Physical Therapist and since I have back issues, I like working w/ her. She also has a fair amount of Physical Therapy type practices on her sites.

Anyway - from her site yesterday I did her routine for sciatica and herniated disc. My back and hips tend to get really stressed out from all the sitting I do for work and these two practices always help.

Today I did one of her Barre routines and added on a 10 min back strengthening workout.

Hope everyone has a nice day!!!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 09:36 AM  
Gale K.
VF Supporter

I just subscribed to Jessica Valant's Unlimited as well! I have chronic shoulder issues and I like Jessica's pilates and physical therapy approach. I plan to schedule a virtual consult with her when I have some flexibility to do so in my schedule. Earlier this week I did her Pilates for Every Body and I definitely have some work to do!

The winds of grace are blowing all the time--all we need to do is raise our sails.
-Rama Krishna, as quoted by Baron Baptiste
Gale K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-21, 10:00 AM  
donnamp

Gale - that is great that you workout w/ Jessica, too! I like her approach and I like the monthly calendars, they are varied so you end up doing some traditional work and barre, etc. I feel it is a good template for overall health and fitness.

Donna
Old 04-16-21, 08:22 AM  
buffmama

Club Forme Pilates & Barre 15 min Fun Pilates Abdominal Workout. She goes through all the progressions of the exercises without telling you that is what she's doing. Short and effective. I've done a few others by her.

To those in Jessica's Unlimited: How long are most of the workouts? And how often are new workouts posted?
Old 04-16-21, 03:49 PM  
Pam

Thanks to buffmama and everyone participating in this Pilates group. It was the push I needed to start doing Pilates again on a regular basis. One surprising benefit I have noticed when I have done Pilates in the past, is that I recover better when I lose my balance. Maybe that is because of the smaller muscles that are strengthen from doing Pilates. Anyone else experienced this?

Today I did Theresa Borgen’s Pilates for AnyBody from 2005. She gives a lot of hints that I find helpful and some variations on the exercises that aren’t familiar to me.
Old 04-16-21, 04:03 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

Today I did a mix of Physical Therapy type programs from Jessica Valent's site:

- Herniated Disc Routine (20 min)
- Sciatica Routine (10 min)
- Scoliosis Routine (20 min)

I really should make a point of doing one of her PT practices daily - my back gets so out of whack from sitting all day at my computer.

Buffmama - Jessica's workouts range from 10 min to 45+ min. They really vary. I'd say the average is 25-30 minutes. She releases a few new ones each month - maybe up to 4. She includes other workouts besides Pilates - she will do some traditional strength as well as Barre, yoga/fusion, and Physical Therapy. She started to host some guest instructors recently, too.

Her monthly calendar looks like this:

Monday - Steady State Cardio (on your own - no video)
Tuesday - Arms & More
Wed - HIIT & Abs
Thursday - Active Recovery
Friday - Lower Body & More
Saturday - Steady State Cardio
Sunday - Rest

I actually really like that structure - it kind of gets it all in w/out going overboard.

Donna