Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-23-20, 09:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone

Before working out this morning I was reading GD and saw a post that mentioned the Firm Basics. Well, i dug out my VHS copy of Basics Sculpting with Weights and gave it a go.

It was a lot of fun to re-visit the FIRM. The professional performance and the feeling that you are part of the cast...

Back in the '90's/early 2000's when I did the FIRM regularly, these felt too easy for me but today this felt just right.

A FIRM rotation in the future? Maybe - I'll have to see how I feel tomorrow!

There is a rotation posted on the that thread, but I feel it may be too ambitious for me. At the moment I'm giving some thought to something like this:

Day 1 - Basics SwW
Day 2 - Basics Fat Burning
Day 3 - Basics Lower Body & Abs
Day 4 - Walk & Stretch
Repeat/rest when needed

or, I was also giving some thought to an every-other day rotation with walking - Pilates - Yoga in between.

I have a ton of Old Firms on VHS still...I'm glad I kept them.

wishiwasinhawaii - I don't blame you re: travel, there was a time I would have loved to travel more for work but these days I see it more as a hassle than an adventure!! What is he Get Strong rotation? Is that on her site??

Sherry - I hope you enjoy the bike! I really should use mine more, I feel I could get a better cardio workout that is easier on my joints by using it. My DD will walk with me sometimes. A few weeks ago she started running, but that only lasted a week. She does ride her horse, but she could probably use some other forms of exercise, too.

Pam - Gina B is a lot of fun!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-20, 11:40 AM  
Leonana

I need to do a yoga workout sometime today. We shall see, I'm getting unmotivated lately.

I did post some Jessica dvds, older ones in Share the Wealth. If anyone is interested.
Old 08-23-20, 03:25 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Donna, I'm doing the rotation on the back of the Get Strong DVD. Business travel stinks, to be honest! I travel for my current job (well, pre-COVID) a few times a year. One trip can be anywhere in the US and the other two are usually to Philadelphia, DC or somewhere within driving distance. The job I interviewed for would be 20% travel and some would be international. Business travel is all work and very little fun, or no fun, depending on the company. I'm just not at a point in life where I'd want to spend that much time in airports and hotels, especially with all the uncertainty with COVID.
Old 08-23-20, 09:20 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

In my mind I was going to stretch today but ended up doing more, even though I was exhausted. First I dug out Tamilee's Tight on Time since there are multiple 10 minute workouts. Ended up doing Total Body, Tubing, and Stretch workouts. Since that didn't quite feel like enough I did Cathe's Travel Fit which kicked my butt with bands!

Donna that Firm rotation sounds pretty good. I have a lot of Firm workouts but never did them much. Was never a "Firmie" though always liked Tracie Long.

Sherry, I was feeling pretty unmotivated today, too! It felt like a long week for me. ;-)

wishiwasinhawaii, sorry the job wasn't exactly what you would have liked. Hope something turns up that is just right, if you decide to change companies.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-20, 07:55 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday DD and I ended up taking a walk - I didn't expect it to be as hot as it was - but it was HOT when we went. Still, it was good for both of us. Then, I dug another oldie out of my VHS closet and did Suzanne Deason's Yoga for Stress Relief - this is about 20 minutes and filmed on the beach. Nothing really remarkable about it - but it was still enjoyable.

Today was:

Ellen - Upper Body Blast (new on her site) and Might Mat Pilates. I will also try to get a mile or two of walking in today...for movement more than exercise.

Pam - The FIRM really kicked off my vidiocy back in the day. Before discovering them I had a Jane Fonda or two and maybe a Kathy Smith or two and I just rotated those - I think my VHS tapes fit in a shoebox or two and I was perfectly content. Then, I discovered the FIRM and that kicked off my major obsession with collecting workouts. Over the last few years I have definitely acquired less since there is so much available on You Tube and streaming, and professionally produced workouts just don't come out as often. I also blew up my stability ball last night b/c I want to get some of Suzanne Deason's balance ball workouts in.

wishiwasinhawaii - as I return to work today - I think that my dream job is truly retirement. I hope I can make that happen in a few years......I wouldn't even mind working PT, even doing something like what my DD is doing - 20 hours a week of data entry. I could live with that....extra spending money but not life consuming. Now I remember that rotation!!!

Sherry - did you get your yoga in?

Hope everyone has a good Monday.

Donna
Old 08-24-20, 11:26 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Today was Strictly Strength (youtube version). I was going to go out for a walk, but it's too hot and I'm waiting to see if the plumber shows up (have a leak under the kitchen sink), so I just walked around inside.

Donna, I feel the same way about work. In a way, I wish I was older so I'd be closer to retirement! My original plan was to semi-retire at 55 (I'll be 54 soon) and get a PT job doing whatever just to bring in some money, but health insurance is a huge problem since very few PT jobs offer that and it's so expensive. So I don't think that's going to happen. COVID has changed a lot of things about work though, so if I can continue to work from home even after this is over, I'd be fine staying where I am.
Old 08-24-20, 04:39 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

I got my Gina Buber "the Decades" set yesterday so had to try out a couple of the walks from the 80's! It was lots of fun and very enjoyable music. As someone mentioned in GD thread, the music is loud, but can always be turned down but it added to the fun factor for me! Some great recognizable songs here! Looking forward to seeing what the other decades will bring.

One thing I disliked was the walking in circles (facing each direction of the room.) She does this a few times and I'm thinking she could have eliminated those and been a little more creative with the choreography, as a former dance instructor! Still, I liked what I've done so far.

I didn't find her too overly chatty or at least wasn't bothered by what she says. She's just so energetic and delightful with that big smile of hers!

Current Rotation:
Old 08-24-20, 10:32 PM  
Leonana

Today was Jessica's you tube Back Friendly Strength workout. My lower back is still a bit sore from moving furniture. Last night I did my favorite stretch, Jessica's Fall Into Fitness Stretch. Both workouts helped a lot, and it's less sore today.

I think Jessica's stretch workout has moves that I recognize from a CS you tube workout, and Ask Doctor Jo's sciatica video. Jessica has the leg moves from CS and the stretching from Doctor Jo. I think that's why I like it so much, it combines moving and stretching, both of which help my tight hips.

Pam, you are tempting me! The Gina B dvd sounds like a lot of fun.

wishiwasinhawaii, I'm glad you were able to make a decision on the job. It sounds like a nice compliment that they thought of you.

Donna, I did do the stretching! My sore back made me, lol. On the skincare front, I ordered a travel size of the Paula's Choice Resist Serum. I used to use it years ago. I've decided I really like it. I'm going to use it as my night moisturizer, it has Vitamin C and niacinimide in it, so I think it won't be any more money than buying two separate products.
Old 08-25-20, 07:51 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

I almost went back to Pahla today - I think I just find her very comforting for some reason. But, decided since I had my FIRM Basics out to go ahead with that for this week. So, I did FRIM Basics Fat Burning - it was an enjoyable routine. I felt it was not easy but also not impossible to get through. Jen Carmen leads the aerobics parts and Stacy Milner-Collins leads the strength parts. Definitely a fun routine.

Last night after work, I had a miserable step count so I pulled out Gina B's walking through the decades (yes, I succumbed and purchased it!). I went with the 60's and did 2 of the 15 minute walks on the DVD along w/ the warm-up cool down. It is nice that the DVD is chaptered to allow you to chose your segment so you do not have to do the entire 55 minute workout (45 min of "walking, 5 min warm-up, 5 min cool down). The only thing I wish is that it were programmable, so after each segment it takes you back to the menu. But, all in all it was a fun routine. It is faster paced than her other "dance that walk" DVDs, but there is less variety in the movement - in fact, I felt that from one segment to the next there was not a ton of variety in the movement patterns, but that is probably what makes the workout pace faster. I did enjoy the music and the time went by fast. I expect to use these a lot as add ons for extra steps and sometimes as full workouts. Gina was very positive and bubbly as usual.

Sherry - Glad you got your stretch in - I like doing stretching w/ movement rather than static stretches, too. I did watch a Dr. Jo video for stretching the Q-L - the muscle deep in your lower back - mine gets soooo tight - have you ever watched Brad and Bob - they are also PTs and have a You Tube channel. They are funny and I think have good advice as well. Skincare, I have been trying to continue to use up what I have - and not buy anything new....I do like Paula's Choice overall, it just got $$$. But, now I'm thinking I could get a few high end products and use drugstore for cleansers, basic moisturizers and sunscreen. Today I'm working on my Aveeno Ultra Calming sunscreen. It is probably not going to be a re-purchase as it is quite heavy....and white but being at home it is ok!

Pam - I didn't like the walking in circles either - I did enjoy the workout I did and it was a great way to get extra steps w/ low dread. I originally only planned to do one fifteen minute segment, but ended up doing two!

wishiwasinhawaii - health insurance (and college, LOL!) are my main reasons for working. Although if my DD goes to a state school tuition is paid for through the MD prepaid college trust we set up for her. And, it is now looking like she will do that. If you go out of state you still get a benefit - it is some "weighted" average or something, so we did save $$ for college for her, so that is good, But health insurance is expensive and I'm only going to be 53 in Nov which means 12 years before I could get medicare - right? Isn't it 65? My employer does allow retirees to buy in to the health plan at a lower rate, so it wouldn't be like I would have to pay the full amount, but....maybe it is something to look into. I would love to retire sooner rather than later. And, I honestly wouldn't mind working a PT job or something close to home. I guess time will tell....

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
Old 08-25-20, 11:09 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Sherry,

Which exercise bike did you get from Amazon? Just curious. I might have been better off with something like this instead of the stair climber that I don't use. Also, hope your back is feeling much better. Sometimes we don't stretch enough and it's good you're taking care to do that! Glad temps are dropping for you soon. That means my mom will be a bit more comfortable in AZ.

Back later to post workouts....

Current Rotation:

Tags
jessica smith get strong