Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-06, 12:08 PM  
pollytc

Lower Abs

Hi all. In your opinions (other than proper d**t), what would you say is the best exercise for your lower abs? Pilates, traditional ab work, callanetics, lotte berk, bar method, T-tapp? What has worked for you? Though I have MUCH weight to lose, no matter if I'm heavier or smaller, whenever I do ab work, my upper abs instantly (and I truly do mean that) concave or get smaller, but I have no hope for my lower abs at this point. Grant it, over the last 13 years, they have been cut on six times....so I know that is part of the problem. But I was wanting to know what has worked your lower abs the best?!?!

Thanks soooooo much for your thoughts!
Old 03-18-06, 02:30 PM  
fatkat555

I hear ya on the surgeries (I've had two c-sections in less than 2 years plus other surgeries). I've noticed that if I do ab work with the Firm Parts series (5 day abs and more 5 day abs) daily that is helps. Also, I've had great results by using Baron Baptiste's Core Power Yoga (about 30 min). Just doing these alone is not enough, however. I find that I must also have AWT, too. This is just what works for me but others may have better/different suggestions.
Fatkat
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 04:04 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have always had a hard time engaging my lower abs. I found Pilates to be more effective for me than traditional ab work. But then, I like Pilates more than traditional ab work. Think that could have something to do it it?

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 06:05 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I haven't yet found the solution, but I've started threads about this myself in the past; do a search for "pooch" and you should find them!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 06:15 PM  
hannahsmom

I have the exact same problem. What I am finding is that for some odd reason when I drink more water it really makes a difference in my whole outer appearance for some reason. For me doing lots of pilates is working pretty well along with 45-60 min session cardio. I love pilates also and it makes me feel really good after I'm done. My abs are finally shrinking again when I am adding pilates/yoga and longer cardio. The traditional ab work doesn't do it for me.
hannahsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-06, 10:32 PM  
bfit

Tamilee Webb's I Want Those Abs has good exercises for the lower abs.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 08:31 AM  
TamiT

Well, after having 2 big babies over 9 lbs (they're teenagers now) my lower abs have never been the same but I've had more success in the past year with pilates and t-tapp. But the exercise that made the biggest difference for me was doing an exercise called "organs in place/half frogs" (wierd name but really effective) before and after any workout. Even doing it before bedtime makes a difference. It's hard to describe but you can get if for free at the t-tapp site. Just click try before you buy and you can print it out without even registering your email. After doing callanetics for years with multiple reps I never thought that an ab exercise with only 8 reps could make a difference but it does! I just ordered the t-tapp book "fit and fabulous in 15 minutes" at amazon.com cuz it includes a free dvd with this exercise and others for flattening a stomach without situps. Don't know what the other exercises are but the book contains the entire t-tapp workout for under $20. Considering I paid almost $80 for my t-tapp workout, that's a great bargain!
TamiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 09:28 AM  
pollytc

Thanks everybody for your input! I'm thinking pilates and T-Tapp are the way to go. I did see the book at Amazon.....it sounds like a steal at this point and I may have to order it!

Kim
Old 03-19-06, 09:56 AM  
Peggy T
VF Supporter

Kim, if you can stand Denise Austin, her Hit the Spot for Abs focuses on lower abs and is geared toward post-pregnancy. Its quite good, actually. Pilates also does it for me to suck in my lower pot.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.
-Will Rogers
Peggy T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-06, 12:03 PM  
pollytc

Yep....Denise does get on my nerves, but if it works, I can always tune her out!!! :-) Does this workout incorporate pilates too?

Tags
biggest change