Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-20, 07:36 AM  
pharma_gal

Jumping rope vs cordless rope

Is jumping with the cordless ropes as effective as jumping rope with the regular rope? What’s the benefit of having the cordless rope? Thanks!
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 08:40 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I'm off to google "cordless ropes" .....who knew?!
Old 11-13-20, 09:24 AM  
Gams

It seems like it would be as effective to me. You are not really doing anything different. I think the benefit of the cordless rope is that you don’t need as much room - you don’t have to worry about tripping or knocking something over with the rope. I would think it would be easier using the cordless rope indoors where you might not be comfortable swinging a rope around indoors.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 09:33 AM  
star117

I have a cordless rope on my wishlist!
star117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 10:09 AM  
Vantreesta

I have both. I prefer the regular jumprope bc it also helps with coordination and feels more "real". But the cordless one is nice if you have a small space and are concerned with hitting anything or have a low ceiling. I haven't used the cordless enough to speak to any different benefit btwn the two as far as body changes.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 05:10 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

if you click on the tags, there are some interesting replies by VFers regarding cordless jumpropes.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-20, 06:10 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
if you click on the tags, there are some interesting replies by VFers regarding cordless jumpropes.
I was thinking this had come up before! Thanks!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-13-20, 07:27 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I was thinking this had come up before! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
I prefer the regular jumprope bc it also helps with coordination and feels more "real".
+1. there's an added brain-muscle-total body element in practicing with a real jump rope.

i was able to use a jump rope in a very tight spot (the upstairs bedroom!), doing a test run to make sure it stayed under an 8' ceiling.

to find the correct rope length for your body, stand on the center with your feet touching each other, then pull the handles to your armpits - that would be the correct length. make adjustments as needed.

then when you hold the handles, your elbows are straight but loose, and you turn the rope with your wrists, NOT with your shoulders. envisioning yourself with the rope, it shouldn't be too much higher than your head when the rope is going over your head.

jump height is just a couple of inches, enough for the rope to pass underneath. this allows your effort to be very efficient without getting wiped out.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-20, 11:57 AM  
Vantreesta

If I might veer slightly since we're talking about jumping rope, I use the Crossrope app and in the workouts they often say "freestyle jump." What does that mean, exactly? Is it jumping however you want? The video clip they always show for it looks like kind of a shuffle from foot to foot. I've tried searching and haven't found an answer that satisfies me. I have taken it to mean jump how you want but wanted to know if it is an actual type of jump. For the life of me I cannot do a shuffle for very long before I trip up! Sorry to meander slightly off topic but TIA for any help!

Old 11-14-20, 12:45 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Is jumping with the cordless ropes as effective as jumping rope with the regular rope? What’s the benefit of having the cordless rope? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
It seems like it would be as effective to me. You are not really doing anything different. I think the benefit of the cordless rope is that you don’t need as much room - you don’t have to worry about tripping or knocking something over with the rope. I would think it would be easier using the cordless rope indoors where you might not be comfortable swinging a rope around indoors.
I like both but the real rope is definitely harder. It requires better core control to help maintain coordination. Avoiding foot tangle and maintaining cadence actually takes ongoing work/ more muscle recruitment. You can slump and let your arms drop if you get tired on the cordless. You'll get a smack if you try that with a real rope

I like the cordless for days when I have already put in a hearty workout and might be tired enough not to keep my form as tight. They are also great for travel or if you are worried about damaging floors or hitting ceilings etc

Tags
cordless jump rope, jump rope, ropeless jump rope