Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-25-17, 10:22 AM  
lorajc

For the Almost 60 to Over 60 Crowd - Still Lift Heavy?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if I'll ever get back to heavy lifting again in my life....what does the majority of this age group do when it comes to weights over the 8-10 pound range for arms and heavier 15's, 20's for chest back etc? Do you use them?

I'm trying to decide what to do with my large collection? Not sure if I'll ever use them again.....however, they tempt me!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 10:47 AM  
donnamp

Hi,
I don't think it is an age thing, I'm sure there are folks 60+ that still lift heavy and I'm sure there are plenty of folks under 60 that don't.

I think it all comes down to body type, body history (do you have injuries, etc. for which heavy lifting would be inappropriate, etc.), and personal preference.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 11:43 AM  
Sara1000

Yes, for example if arthritis becomes a factor.

At 73 I rarely go above 8-10 except for lat rows. The thing about the workouts, though, you can do a heavy weight workout with lighter weights, if you love the music and the instructor, so maybe keep the ones you have loved.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 03:10 PM  
warriorprincess

I think as you get older, it gets more important than ever to lift heavy, joints and bone density willing of course. It helps with slowing down the osteoporosis and sarcopenia tendencies. I don't know how much is enough.

At 58, I do as much as I can. I believe heavy lifting played a part in my reversing my osteoporosis, but I also took supplements, hormones, ionized water, some impact exercise (light running), and visualization, so I don't know for sure how big a role it played. I've been steady losing ground to the initial amazing gains that I made, but I have reduced the intensity of pretty much every aspect of the approach I was taking.

The hard part is it just seems to get harder. I'm not sure if this is mental or physical. But I'm afraid to give into it. My DH, retired several years now, does less and less, and is capable of less and less. It's a bit heart-breaking.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
You're only 1 workout away from a good mood.
warriorprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 03:26 PM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

I believe in still lifting heavy (I'm 61) but due to injuries, it just seems to hurt more. And it takes me a long time to recover from a heavy lifting session - which then means I'm less active in those days recovering from that workout. So I waffle ...
-Anita
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 04:07 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I've never lifted super heavy; my heaviest were 15s and 20s but I haven't been able to lift that heavy for some years now. Between arthritis, back/joint aches and minor injuries that haven't healed properly, lifting heavy hurts too much. (I also put some of it down to instructors with non-traditional 'unique' moves that tweaked my joints. Never again!) Sadly, my usual range now is about 3-6 lbs and I've definitely lost a LOT of strength.

I just bought Charlotte Ord's Back to Basics which seemed ideal for slower, heavier lifting and I like the non-intimidating setup of 2 body parts per 15min workout. With basic tried-and-true moves, of course. I would love to see if I can safely rebuild some of my lost strength <sigh>.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 05:20 PM  
donnamp

Gina - thanks for mentioning that workout - I have shied away from lifting heavy weights for some time now due to various aches and pains - and, like you said, some of those "creative" moves do tend to do me more harm than good. I'm using 10's as my heaviest these days and then only for chest work. For lower body I have been going lighter so as not to stress my lower back and hips.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-17, 09:12 PM  
Susan H
VF Supporter

This article was shared on here recently and has lots of good information in it. The Strength Training Guide for Women Over 40

“Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" —Thomas Edison

“Just because you’re not sick doesn’t mean you’re healthy.” — Author Unknown
Susan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 09:42 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

I never lifted heavy. I use 8 - 10 lbs mostly but that's what I always lifted so I haven't changed my way of working out since I turned 60, thankfully. I occasionally go 12 to 15 lbs for certain workouts, just like I always did. I have a very physical job too which I can still perform again thankfully. I think injuries and illnesses and aches and pains do dictate if people need to change their workouts more so than age.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-17, 01:21 PM  
Dorothy J
VF Supporter

8 - 10 lbs was always my heavy range (12 lb for some chest/back moves) and (so far) I'm able to maintain that at 61.

Is it harder to use that poundage now? YES! Definitely. I've had to go down to 8# from 9 or 10 on certain moves in certain workouts just to keep my form correct. It scares/frustrates me that I don't seem to be able to keep up with the weights I used to use, especially since they weren't that heavy to begin with. I thought that working out regularly for 40 years would save me from that.

That Back to Basics workout sounds intriguing--I'm going to check it out.

"You want to go into life feeling great, feeling strong, and as you get older, feeling even stronger!" Gin Miller
Dorothy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, dumbbell size, heavy weight training, over 50, senior strength training