Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-05-17, 02:32 PM  
met fan

Looking for a true beginners free weight workout

Looking for my 20 year old daughter to do with me. I'm looking for a free weight, slow workout. No multi moves (like lunges with biceps curls). Slim in 6 was even too frustrating for her. Not too long either. 20 to 30 minutes would be good. Basic and slow. Something just to get her started. Either DVD or YouTube. Thank you
met fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 02:49 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Maybe Kathy Smith's Lift Weights to Lose Weight (1 and 2)? Some people couldn't handle that she was a little crazy in this one, but I thought it just made her one of us. If you can find the Project You workouts they are excellent. The whole set is really brilliant.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 02:50 PM  
sbh

Margaret Richards is my go to no nonsense, straight forward, strength training workout. No lunges or compound moves. I love her workouts!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 02:56 PM  
cindyw75

I recommend Jessica Smith TV on YouTube. My daughters and I workout to her videos. There are some compound moves in her workouts, but I find that she slowly builds up the moves. Her videos vary in length too...from 5 minutes to 1 hour. When I workout by myself I prefer 30-45 minutes, but when my daughters join me, we stick to 20 minutes and under. Good luck and have fun!
cindyw75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 03:21 PM  
pricek

An oldie but goodie the original Power90 Sculpt workouts. They are no frills, but get the job done in a short amount of time. I got in great shape with that program.
pricek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 03:41 PM  
AnMrsDe

I second Jessica Smith. They are tough enough for more beginners with weights but short enough so *my daughter* doesn't lose interest and get tired! She really likes Jessica's stuff.

Also, I acquired (again) for my daughter this time, the Firm's Super Body Sculpt (with Stephanie) which has a 15 min. upper and a 15 min. lower body workout (short and sweet if doing upper or lower only). I think my DD is coming over this week to try that one....hope she likes it!
AnMrsDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 03:56 PM  
Sollamyn

Tamilee Webb's I Want That Body is always a good place to start. The routines are split (upper, lower, abs) and there is a short warm-up for each, but when I do more than one segment I just FF through the other warm-ups.

Donna
Old 04-05-17, 04:24 PM  
millie

Petra Kolber Step by Step Weight Training might fit the bill
millie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 04:34 PM  
cpcathy

Jessica Smith is a good choice, I've always liked Crunch Resculpt with Kendall Hogan, the upper and lower body segments are separate, and Kendall is always a fun instructor.

Nobody Said It was Easy.... --The Scientist
cpcathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-17, 04:42 PM  
Jags

Jillian Michaels' Frontside/Backside is a great true beginner's workout. Slow, deliberate, and good instruction. It also happens to be listed as available on Share the Wealth.... here.
Jags is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beginners, college dorm workout, strength training, weights only