Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-13-16, 11:44 AM  
blzgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
I felt less crazy when I read a personal trainer's article outlining how he helped his menopausal mother lose weight. One of the things he did was encourage her to stop exercising so intensely. This advice all related back to balancing her hormones. It's counterintuitive.
Do you have a link to that article?
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 12:06 PM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bex View Post
I feel like the exception in these conversations, because I'm ramping back up after a few years of being too busy to exercise.

I've always been prone to on-and-off cycles, but I resolved that I'd use turning 50 to be in the best shape of my life.

Yes, longer and more intense workouts give me better results. Over the last year I've built muscle, endurance and flexibility. I feel alive in my body.

I've done it gradually. A year and a half ago I was at beginner intensity and an hour would wipe me out. Now I'm (upper) intermediate and an hour is normal, plus sometimes a bit extra for abs or a short yoga practice.

It has made me hungrier. I make sure to eat breakfast, and if I don't get an afternoon snack it can put my after-work workout at risk. But not eat-the-world hungrier.

So, in my case, more is more. YMMV.
I'm with you Bex! I'm an "older" mom, I had my last baby at age 38. Back in the day, I did a lot of high-impact step and also used to do a lot of hiking. In the years when I was pregnant, nursing, etc. I just couldn't do much. Now that my youngest is 5, I'm getting back to the hikes/trail runs, heavier weights, etc. Just this month I started doing short, fast runs (3-5 miles) paired with weight work (usually upper and lower splits).

I'm 43 and I think hormonal changes have made me hungrier in general. Intense workouts seem to initially exaggerate that, but over time, it levels out.

For me, the key seems to be to challenge myself. Consistency isn't enough. I've worked out consistently since I was 18 but if I don't change things up, I just won't be in good shape.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 12:18 PM  
Lori_Michigan

After I hit 40, I had to really tune in to what I could do, and what I could not still do.

For me what works best: I do functional weights and cardio (Tracie Long/old school Firms mostly) four to five days during the week, and maybe one slightly more intense cardio or weights or bodyweight workout once on the weekend. The next day is just a CS/Ess.

Also, the time of year is oddly important for me, perhaps because I live in a cold climate -- fall/winter is more cardio, spring/summer is more weight work. I also do more stretching in the fall/winter than the spring/summer.

If I do too many intense workouts in a row, I feel really wiped out, too sore to do anything, and almost sick. Taking it down to just one intense workout a week helps with that and I don't dread it.
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-16, 12:30 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy Trousers View Post
You have to experiment with your own body to see what's true for you.

Much of the answer may depend on your hormonal status.

Thanks for posting this!! It's what seems to be true for me too.

After much experimentation I've found a sort-of routine that seems to be helping me regain strength, flexibility and coordination after what feels like an eternity of not being able to figure out what my body wants.

Harder, longer workouts just made me sore and tired, and the discomfort didn't subside the way it did when I was younger.

Nowadays, I aim for a 'I feel worked out, and love the way it feels when I stretch' sort of result. In recent days, I've found that my fitness level seems (finally) to have moved up at least a half notch, so yay for me! With that increase, I find I'm working my muscles more deeply, and need a bit of recuperative time between workouts, but not an excessive amount.

So I guess, for me, it's not a simple question. Recovery started with being consistent with gentle workouts and has progressed to being able to work my muscles more deeply. I'm more comfortable doing the moves and feel stronger, but am also actively resisting the urge to work out in a way that might make me too sore the next day. Too much enthusiasm is counter productive for me, so even though I CAN do harder, longer workouts, I've learned I get a better result with shorter, less intense work that's kind of spaced out over the day. (i.e., CS in the morning, with maybe a Jessica walk or a KCM workout with weights if I feel it's something I can manage. I've been actively taking rest days lately and finding them beneficial, they don't seem to be turning into 'the rest day that turned into a month'.)
Old 10-13-16, 04:42 PM  
zraipel
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoolgirl-01 View Post
i have the best results from long intense work especially when it comes to shaping my muscles.

i've never struggled with consistency but that just isn't enough for me to make any serious progress- consistency is more a maintenance thing for me and not an advancement in endurance or quality/shape of my muscles.

i've never suffered injury or any of the typically signs of over training.

i'm also one of those people who experience a diminished appetite from prolonged or intense training so over eating is never a problem. i actually have to keep track of everything just to make sure i'm getting enough nutrients to fuel my training.
Everything you said applies exactly to me as well! I definitely get better results (for me meaning increased endurance and stamina, leaning out and more cut musculature) from longer and more intense workouts. But I don't have to do high impact to get high intensity, so I don't feel the wear and tear that a lot of people mention. The most impact I like to do is jumping rope. If a workout has a lot of impact, it's just not fun for me. And I also tend to eat less the harder I'm working out and have to carefully track my meals to make sure I'm fueling enough!
Old 10-13-16, 06:13 PM  
Alan

I think there's no simple answer. If you're looking at a shorter time frame (say 4-6 weeks) then yes, you probably want to ramp up the volume and intensity. However for anything longer than that you may be risking injury/burnout. So what many athletes do is to periodize their workouts by alternating higher intensity weeks to increase fitness with lower intensity weeks to promote recovery.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 08:19 AM  
Ann1964

For me 15-40 min is all I will do. I can't stay focused past 40 minutes anymore.
Ann1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 12:36 PM  
marki64

Keep moving! That's my motto. I like to mix it up regularly and do some rigorous circuit workouts 3X per week along with regular cardio, walking, step, pilates/yoga and weights.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 03:20 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
My workout twin!
Absolutely!
I'll have to check out your check-in, it sounds like I'd fit right in!? (Only that I'm terrible with keeping up with posting daily... )
Thanks to your post I've started Lisa's 10 day trial!

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-16, 05:17 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
Absolutely!
I'll have to check out your check-in, it sounds like I'd fit right in!? (Only that I'm terrible with keeping up with posting daily... )
Thanks to your post I've started Lisa's 10 day trial!
We have people in and out, no worries. Stop by!

Tags
high intensity, intense workouts, long workouts, results