Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-30-16, 11:21 AM  
PhyllisG

I have found that I do better when I follow a rotation. Otherwise I can't make up my mind, I waffle, and then I do nothing. I like knowing what is on the schedule for that day.
First I was doing the Firm 90 Day rotation...for years. Great results.
Next it was Cathes monthly rotation. Again for years.
Now FeFit, Barre3, P57 and the Firm Basics, Namaste Yoga etc.

Before there were so many choices I was committed to the Firm and never did anything else except for yoga.
PhyllisG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 11:24 AM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
If you think back before Beachbody swept the fitness world there really weren't that many sets out there and we still stayed in shape. Do what you enjoy and will stick with, IMO. Good luck!
Great point!
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 01:26 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhyllisG View Post
I have found that I do better when I follow a rotation. Otherwise I can't make up my mind, I waffle, and then I do nothing. I like knowing what is on the schedule for that day.
Same here. If I had to think about it, I'd end up doing nothing. For me, as I'm heading into menopause, it's more about what I'm eating than what I'm doing, but following a rotation keeps me on track and I find I look forward to being able to say I finished a rotation. It's a milestone.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 03:35 PM  
momofcha

I've been focusing on a different rotation every month. One month it was barre, then HDM, now it's H&C combined with CS/ess. I'm finally getting it through my head that I need to slow down & include more "rest" days. HDM had an article on the importance of giving the rotation time to work - which contradicts my thought process, but I'm moving, enjoying my workouts & hoping that by giving myself "active rest" the weight will start to fall off.

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:00 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
Same here. If I had to think about it, I'd end up doing nothing. For me, as I'm heading into menopause, it's more about what I'm eating than what I'm doing, but following a rotation keeps me on track and I find I look forward to being able to say I finished a rotation. It's a milestone.
You know, I can see how that would happen, but that's never been a problem for me. I really love to workout and I'm more likely to skip if the workout I'm "supposed" to do (for a rotation) feels too hard for my energy level that day. My energy really fluctuates a lot. Today I walked 3 miles, spent 2 1/2 hours cleaning the grime off the screened porch (in humid 85 degree heat), and then did a 20 minute Jessica Smith lower body workout with lunges and squats (the 10 lbs. down series). This is a good day.

On a low energy day I'm more likely to pick a more stretchy yoga (like UY Gentle) or something like Ruah Release.

So as my energy level ebbs and flows, I really need the freedom to do whatever appeals to me that day. I'm just trying to reassure myself that it will work (to fit back into my clothes assuming my food choices are on point).

It's really frustrating that workouts that were do-able for me 2 or 3 years ago feel so hard now. It wasn't that long ago that I could do sets of mountain climbers with ease (if you have the Core Fusion Cardio workout they work up to 7 or 8 sets of 8, so 56-64 at a time). I used to be able to do those sets with no problem but now, it slays me
Old 05-30-16, 04:07 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
You know, I can see how that would happen, but that's never been a problem for me. I really love to workout and I'm more likely to skip if the workout I'm "supposed" to do (for a rotation) feels too hard for my energy level that day. My energy really fluctuates a lot. Today I walked 3 miles, spent 2 1/2 hours cleaning the grime off the screen porch (in humid 85 degree heat), and then did a 20 minute Jessica Smith lower body workout with lunges and squats (the 10 lbs. down series). This is a good day.

On a low energy day I'm more likely to pick a more stretchy yoga (like UY Gentle) or something like Ruah Release.

So as my energy level ebbs and flows, I really need the freedom to do whatever appeals to me that day. I'm just trying to reassure myself that it will work (to fit back into my clothes assuming my food choices are on point).
If something doesn't fit with my energy level or if I just am not in the mood to do that particular workout, then I usually just do a Jessica or Leslie walk. Those always put me in a good mood and I feel like I've accomplished something.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:15 PM  
hotncmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
If something doesn't fit with my energy level or if I just am not in the mood to do that particular workout, then I usually just do a Jessica or Leslie walk. Those always put me in a good mood and I feel like I've accomplished something.
Yesterday I walked and did 2 segments of the Jessica Smith barre workout (with the %^$! Purple Player) - so a total of 40 minutes and I felt really good about it. On low energy days I also love JS Floor Barre on Youtube.

It's frustrating not being able to stick to a rotation. DH runs or does his UY or Deepen Your Practice yoga workout no matter what's going on. He got great results from sticking to 108 days of UY. He looked absolutely amazing. But the thought of nothing but yoga for 108 days makes me feel anxious.
Old 05-30-16, 04:18 PM  
lorajc

Very interested in this thread as I need variety and actually just went and pulled a bunch of older workouts out of my basement for that purpose and am thinking of going thru my collection doing a different workout every day, one day, weights, once cardio, once pilates, once yoga, etc......and I was thinking the same thing....will I kill my results.....however at 57....and overweight.....will I ever really get the results I want or is it more important to be happy and consistent? so....I battled in my stubborn brain and settled on happy and consistent....so I say go for it!!! and keep us updated!!

I hear ya on the menopause. I'm post menopausal now....but menopause was very tough for me. I never wanted to sweat again after the drenching hot flashes I suffered. I'd be soaked at work.

Also, hotncmom....you sound like you are doing PLENTY!! Much more than me...so hats off to you girlfriend!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:28 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotncmom View Post
Yes, that's all covered. Seeing a doctor and doing all the sleep hygiene things. Getting sleep is very, VERY important to me. I have had some friends who have basically said that once you get older you never sleep well again, and I just refuse to accept that.

I am doing much better now, but for about 8 weeks there it was pretty bad. There were some nights I didn't sleep at all, and others where I got maybe 3-4 hours of broken sleep.
This frustrates me so! My doctor won't give me anything to help me sleep. She is just not sympathetic to my sleep issues at all. I can go to sleep - I just can't stay there...

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-16, 04:36 PM  
hotncmom

I'm turning 47 next month so I guess I'm earlier than, most but I can't remember the last time I menstruated (spotted for 1 day in December but other than that I'm not sure). Even a couple of years ago I went 6 months without a period. So it's pretty close.

My mom died 11 years ago at age 59 and my grandmothers have been dead for a long time, so I have no family history to refer to. My mother had a hysterectomy in her 20's due to suspected ovarian cancer anyway, so she wouldn't have been able to tell me her experience anyway.

I'm just trying to ride it out and do the best I can. I can't take hormones because of a history of DVT (during a prior pregnancy), and from what I understand, hormones just delay the inevitable anyway, so I'm going through whatever hormonal changes come my way now.

Just a little surprised that it's happening NOW in my 40's. It's really nice not having to deal with periods, but dealing with the insomnia and energy issues is not fun.

Tags
food journal, food logging, insomnia, my fitness pal, results, rotationally challenged, rotations, sleep, workout log