Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-16, 02:23 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezthePuff2 View Post
It's warm and windy here in NE Ohio, so my DH and I got in a 50 minute walk this morning. Such a great feeling!

Then I popped in a Leslie so I could complete my 10k steps.
Same here. It's 60 degrees today! I went for a half hour walk which gave me 3,400 steps and did Jessica's Brain Fitness Fun this morning which gave me just over 3,000 steps. I plan to do a Leslie youtube walk later tonight to get me over 10k. I wish I had time to do this every day.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 03:23 PM  
videofit

I love walking outside. It's a way to burn some extra calories and enjoy the scenery or do some errands. I walk within a two mile radius of my home since that is where I do most of my weekly errands, i.e. the post office, library, supermarket, CVS, bank. You also get to know who should or shouldn't be in your neighborhood. Sort of like being in Neighborhood Watch.

I still do my weights three times a week with occasional add-on lower body workouts on days when I only walk. The walking serves as my warmup
Old 02-20-16, 06:40 PM  
Sara1000

You are fortunate you live within walking distance or those places! I hate having to drive everywhere, but we live about 3 miles outside of town.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-16, 07:46 PM  
nd2325

After I had my gallbladder removed I did only JS walking workouts and short ad ons (BB,TA,etc..). I was sure I would gain weight but I actually lost. I don't know how much b/c I don't weight myself but enough that most of my clothes are too big on me.
Old 02-20-16, 08:16 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Long ago, I worked at a company that had a pedometer program that rewarded certain step levels with points. I usually walked 12K steps per day which I accomplished with 1-20 min walk and 2 10 minute walks plus my usual daily activity. To help with hitting my target, I also started doing things to increase my general activity like parking in the back of the parking lot at work and taking the stairs instead of the elevator. In addition to losing 20lbs in 4 months, I also improved my cholesterol number to normal (the year earlier was the first time in my life it had become borderline.) My doctors were shocked it could be that easy.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 01:32 AM  
tiffanywu
VF Supporter

I am blessed to live in the SF Bay Area in a part of town with amazing weather almost year-round I have two kids (younger one is 5 months old) and both times, I spent many hours during maternity leave pushing a stroller after they were born, typically covering 3-6 miles per day. When combined with 30-45 mins of weights/yoga + nursing, I've managed to lose my pregnancy weight within 5 months. I went for my annual physical check-up yesterday and jokingly told the nurse during my weigh-in that I haven't weighed this little since I was a college student! (I really can't remember how much I weighed when, but I was a few pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight so I had to go boast about it to my husband). I'm back at work now but still try to get in 30 mins of biking or 30 mins of walking each day as a part of my commute and/or daycare/pre-school pick-up/drop-off, and then trying to fit in 30-45 mins of weights/yoga during lunch break and anything the kids will permit me to do on weekends (which is usually yard work, housekeeping and/or walks around the neighborhood to run errands & visit the playground... if we have a babysitter, my husband and I will go hiking for a 1-2 hours). Walking does work wonders!
tiffanywu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 07:43 AM  
frostyjan
VF Supporter

Walking is great for endurance and heart health, but I don't think walking does much to promote the strength and flexibility needed to stay strong, active and independent given modern convenience and the lack of natural functional strength involved in getting through a typical American's day.

If someone has a physical job that requires regular use of their muscles, I'd put them in a different category.

I used to be a cardio junkie, but now spend most of my dedicated workout time doing strength and yoga. My weight is at its lowest of my adult life.
I walk my dog outside 3-6 miles 4-6 times a week with smaller walks in addition to that. I still do occasional cardio (mostly in the form of Tonique or metabolic workouts). I have an active job (RN in a busy perioperative area) so that helps.

I watched my inlaws age fairly well as they made a lifestyle of walking/hiking with dogs. They discounted the value of "working out". However healthy they were compared to others their age, they got progressively more and more inflexible and weak.

I noticed difficulty getting in and out of chairs, and if they ended up on the floor they could not get themselves up, not to mention being unable to carry heavy items.

I think walking is a must, but I put strength and flexibility training right up there in importance.

I take care of lots of people, both healthy and unhealthy, and I can spot the older people who strength train or do yoga from a mile away.

They look and move like younger people. YMMV
frostyjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 09:10 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostyjan View Post
Walking is great for endurance and heart health, but I don't think walking does much to promote the strength and flexibility needed to stay strong, active and independent given modern convenience and the lack of natural functional strength involved in getting through a typical American's day.

If someone has a physical job that requires regular use of their muscles, I'd put them in a different category.

I used to be a cardio junkie, but now spend most of my dedicated workout time doing strength and yoga. My weight is at its lowest of my adult life.
I walk my dog outside 3-6 miles 4-6 times a week with smaller walks in addition to that. I still do occasional cardio (mostly in the form of Tonique or metabolic workouts). I have an active job (RN in a busy perioperative area) so that helps.

I watched my inlaws age fairly well as they made a lifestyle of walking/hiking with dogs. They discounted the value of "working out". However healthy they were compared to others their age, they got progressively more and more inflexible and weak.

I noticed difficulty getting in and out of chairs, and if they ended up on the floor they could not get themselves up, not to mention being unable to carry heavy items.

I think walking is a must, but I put strength and flexibility training right up there in importance.

I take care of lots of people, both healthy and unhealthy, and I can spot the older people who strength train or do yoga from a mile away.

They look and move like younger people. YMMV
Thanks for sharing your experience and perspective! very helpful
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 09:16 AM  
buffmama

Thanks frostyjan for providing another viewpoint.

I became a vidiot because walking alone wasn't doing it for me. This was after I gave birth to buffboy and my body refused to cooperate with my minds view of it. Someone said to me that if I wanted different results I needed to do different things. Once I got over the harsh way it was said, I was off and running with the goal of doing something everyday.
buffmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-16, 09:36 AM  
windyh
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni O View Post
Two years ago I got on a Leslie Sansone kick and did her DVDs almost exclusively all year, along with walking outside with my hubby a lot in the summer. That October I woke up feeling odd and worried that I was having a heart attack. Turned out that I absolutely wasn't, but one of the many tests they did at the hospital was a stress echocardiogram.

The person running the test was amazed at how well I did - how long it took me to get as winded as I needed to be on the treadmill (and I never really did). She commented that I must work out a lot because my heart was in such great shape. I was stunned. Leslie? Seriously? Walking only? Wow!
Thank you for posting this. I love to walk outside. Since being sick last year, I crave being outdoors as much as possible.
Add in some Essentrics/CS and a little Kettlebell work for strength and I am happy.
windyh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, effective workouts, leslie success, outdoor walking, results, walking, walking for fitness, walking for weight loss