Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-18-16, 10:25 AM  
daisyduke

Can we talk about results from walking only?

Can you please share your results from walking inside or outside only? I get so complicated with rotations etc that I'd like to just walk outside for an hour but I'm afraid to lose fitness
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:27 AM  
bubbles76

Sunday lost 80 pounds just from walking and kundalini yoga. Hope she chimes in.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:32 AM  
Dabbadooey

I can't say enough about it. It's the exercise our bodies were made for. It trims me down and does not increase my appetite even if I do a lot of it.
Dabbadooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 10:39 AM  
Sophie

Great (probably the best) for overall health and general cardio conditioning, but unless I include hills I lose some strength and other fitness attributes that are important to me.

I'm getting to the point where I'm thinking of using walking poles to include some UB work, which I also lose from walking only, but so far that seems like too much trouble *rolls eyes*.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 11:27 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabbadooey View Post
I can't say enough about it. It's the exercise our bodies were made for. It trims me down and does not increase my appetite even if I do a lot of it.
I agree with this - I think lots of walking maybe supplemented w/ some stretching/flexibility and body weight type exercises for strengthening would make a great fitness program!

I am contemplating how to make outdoor walking more a part of my life once spring and the time change hits. It is so therapeutic to be out in the sunshine and fresh air!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 11:54 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I love walking, it's my favorite form of cardio! I lost 10 lbs a few years ago walking and doing power yoga. If you have hills, it's great lower body toning and interval training, plus you get fresh air and scenery if you have trails or a park to walk through. I live close to a beautiful trail system and I often walk with friends and/or my DH. We chat and the time just flies by, so I often forget I am exercising!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 12:10 PM  
donnamp

You know, I think I may have come up w/ my magic spring/summer mix!
Outdoor walks (indoors if the weather doesn't cooperate) mixed with Pilates, Yoga and CS/Essentrics. Body weight exercises, Flexiblity, and cardio!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 12:17 PM  
CoolGirlinFl888

I tried on Tuesday night walking while holding a 12 pound sand bag. I also tried walking while holding a weight plate. For some reason when I walk in the evening it burns my legs! Sore inner thighs from fast paced walking is some kind of feeling! I am going to buy a wrist watch to keep track of how long I am doing it but quick walking with a sand bag after quick walking without one had me sore! I went indoors and told my daughter about it and that she should give it a try since she now wants to work out.

Walking also blasted off my baby weight from my first born. I had gained 60 pounds and could not go back to my cardio classes after my C section until 6 weeks was up. Back then that was a heck no! That weight had to go since my daughter had been born so I walked. My mom watched her while I did. I wish that I could post the pictures of how I looked. I never thought walking could result in weight loss. My school teacher lost 30 pounds from walking and I would see her walking at the park and I couldn't believe something so simple could get the weight off but it did. She was there after school walking the weight off. I do like to add some pace to it and it works!
CoolGirlinFl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 12:32 PM  
meg39

After I had both my kids (many, many years ago) I lost the baby weight by walking at night pushing the stroller, and doing 1/2 of a Firm (Vol 1 or 2) followed by doing the 2nd half the following night. I didn't have time to do an hour workout in those days after walking the babies - I worked full time plus my DH was always out of town.

I don't have a stroller to push anymore but I'm thinking of doing this again when the weather warms up.

I love walking outside - I walk my dog for about 3/4 to a mile every morning that I can, and when the weather is too cold or rain/snow, I really feel like my day is missing something.

(CoolGirlinFL888 I have tried sending you a PM about the STW but your box is full...)
meg39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-16, 01:05 PM  
laurajhawk

I bet you could at least maintain with an hour a day of walking, especially if you walk briskly and have hills. For me, the problem with lower-intensity rotations like yoga-only or walking-only is getting in enough time to make those milder exercises enough. An hour a day is my magic amount that seems to be "enough".

It would be good to add stretching, and for upper body you'll probably want something ... a couple short workouts per week, OR use weights/weighted gloves/poles while you walk, OR get a big dog.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, effective workouts, leslie success, outdoor walking, results, walking, walking for fitness, walking for weight loss