Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-23-16, 12:23 PM  
Aquajock

Quote:
Originally Posted by videofit View Post
Age is just a number and you can do what many thirty-year olds cannot. It depends on individual physical condition.

I like to compare a body to a car. Someone who takes care of their car will have it looking better and driving longer than someone who ignores maintenance and drives it recklessly. In both cases, don't take foolish chances. Listen to your own body!
That. THAT. THAT !!!!!!

Far too often advice is given based on popular assumptions about fitness, especially filtered through stereotypes about age and gender. There is absolutely no law that says you cannot aspire to fitness gains and goals. Look at Ernestine Shepherd !!! (sp? Sheperd?) She didn't start weightlifting until she was in her 50's, and she's now and still a competitive, winning body builder in her late 70's !!!

Listen. To. Your. Own. Body.

A-Jock
Old 02-23-16, 01:42 PM  
JENILU

Several months back i had some sudden symptoms that really scared me, and they had a sub Dr that day (really arrogant), and he told me it was my age and sent me home. I was fumed. Later, went back because symptoms were worse and I had to go in for an outpatient procedure, just because the age number told him it was normal. He was a resident- who clearly needs to learn some bedside manner if nothing else. It could have been a lot worse if i had waited too long.
The number shouldn't matter at all. I do think, at certain ages, just like with a car or animal, there are certain precautions or things to be more aware of, but other than that JUST A NUMBER. It shouldn't slow us down. (one of the symptoms was weight, but it was very sudden and came with other symptoms.)

If You Argue for Your Limitations, You Get to Keep Them!

"Accept responsibility for your life. Know it is you who will get you where you want to go, noone else." Les Brown
JENILU is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, balance training, ernestine shepherd, injuries, injury prevention, limitations, over 50, posture, senior exercise, senior strength training