Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-07-16, 09:39 PM  
lorajc

Do You Not Follow A Rotation & Get Good Results?

So, I've asked the question before if you get better results following a rotation....but for some reason, I tend to favor doing a different workout every day....no matter how much I talk to myself and try to say "you should try a rotation....and see how it works".....I always say I'm going to get around to it....but I have ADD and I'm always here and there with my workout program and favor variety. Really the only thing I do consistently is Kundalini yoga.....as I do it about every day....in addition to my other workouts.

I remember once reading an article in a magazine where a Celeb trainer said...I give my Client a different workout every day....it keeps their muscles guessing.

So can you get results as far as muscle definition and weight loss, toning, and such with doing a different workout every day?

Am I ruining my chance for my best results? If so, I will become more disciplined and do a rotation.....finally!!!
lorajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 10:52 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
So can you get results as far as muscle definition and weight loss, toning, and such with doing a different workout every day?
Of course! Consistency and progression are the keys, not a brand label or kit.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 10:58 PM  
jenn38

I like to follow a rotation as a guide. I don't always do the suggested workout but a workout that fits the categories. I would see better results if my nutrition habits were better.
Old 02-07-16, 11:20 PM  
bubbles76

Yes, but it would be some kind of loose rotation. For instance, I would say, "this month I'm going to work on heavy weights" so I'd do Cathe's Slow and Heavy and/or Pure Strength series for the month. But all the cardio would be whatever I felt like doing. My results were increased cardio capacity, weight loss, and muscle definition. I'm sort of doing something like that now. If I didn't follow some sort of structure, I'd probably do Amy Bento and Christi Taylor cardio, followed by yoga, every day. That's not very balanced, so for that reason I have to have some sort of rotation. Or worse, I won't do anything.

I think the lure of a system is that all the work is done for you -- you don't have to think about what to plug in day to day. Also, you're reasonably sure (given the source) that there was some type of logic/science behind how the workout is structured.

However, I do love my systems, and the best results for me I ever got was when with Cathe's Xtrain, followed by my Jari Love rotation.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 11:40 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I have had my best "results" just being consistent. I've done a different workout every day when I was cleaning out my collection. That was fun. I also have done Powerfit, various short workout rotations (10 MS or Powerfit type). I have followed CLX and a couple Michelle Dozois rotations. Nothing was really any better than the next. I really think consistency is the key...moving every day.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-16, 11:41 PM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
I think the lure of a system is that all the work is done for you -- you don't have to think about what to plug in day to day. Also, you're reasonably sure (given the source) that there was some type of logic/science behind how the workout is structured.
I always follow rotations for this reason. I figure whoever put the rotation together knows more about exercise science than I do and it takes all the guesswork out of it. If I didn't follow a rotation I'd spend a lot of time trying to figure out what workout to do and then I'd end up doing nothing.
wishiwasinhawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 12:01 AM  
Tugger31

I guess it depends what you mean by "results". Most fitness systems are a good mix of everything so I think they promote general, overall fitness which if that is your goal then it would work. I think if you have more specific goals such as core strength, or for me working my butt and debulking my quads then following a general system or even some of Cathe's monthly rotations would not give me my specific results.

So I do follow my own rotations but they change depending on my goals. I make sure my rotations are consistent with my goals and that they progress each week in their intensity whether it be increasing the weight, the reps, the frequency of the workout etc.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 12:24 AM  
videofit

I do what I feel like doing within the parameters of doing weights every other day, walking most days for half an hour to an hour, sometimes adding in extra lower body work with Buns of Steel or Classical Stretch Legs & Butt.

I get best results when I cut calories because I can see the results of my exercise if the fat on top of the muscles is gone.
Old 02-08-16, 02:28 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Of course! Consistency and progression are the keys, not a brand label or kit.
Yes, I agree!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-16, 05:41 AM  
FirmDancer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugger31 View Post
I guess it depends what you mean by "results". Most fitness systems are a good mix of everything so I think they promote general, overall fitness which if that is your goal then it would work. I think if you have more specific goals such as core strength, or for me working my butt and debulking my quads then following a general system or even some of Cathe's monthly rotations would not give me my specific results.

So I do follow my own rotations but they change depending on my goals. I make sure my rotations are consistent with my goals and that they progress each week in their intensity whether it be increasing the weight, the reps, the frequency of the workout etc.
This is my philosophy as well.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Current Rotations:
JSmith: STRENGTHEN
ManFlowYoga: morning sessions & Strength Foundations
YogaGlo & MFML: easy, morning classes
FirmDancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
consistency, results, rotation, workout consistency, workout focus