Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-15, 10:31 AM  
dela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhonda View Post
I haven't been one into Barre workouts because I found them boring. I keep hearing about Suzanne Bowen and have looked at hers and they look good and I am actually getting back into Pilates as I am trying to not be so hard on my body.

So this is an interesting thread.

any suggestions on good barre type workouts for beginners? I can't stream anything so it would have to be in DVD format.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Anything from Barre3, and I only have the DVDs, I think I have all of them now. Barre really is not my type of workout, and any little bit I had tried in the past, I did not like, but then needed something while healing my shoulder, and I really enjoyed everything I did from Barre3. I did only Barre3 for about 2 months. There was zero dread, I enjoyed it, and had no problem fitting one in nearly everyday. My butt definitely benefited, my legs felt hard, but it didn't do anything for my upper body.

I like the suggestion above of Barre + weights, and eventually will look to work in a rotation like that next year.

ETA: I am also a member of the flat butt club, and I really could see a rounding from Barre that had never been there before.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 11:08 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherimac View Post
Mine used to ache too and now they don't! The best thing ever.
Hmm, come to think of it when I was using Yoga Booty Ballet a lot - though it's not technically a barre workout, it has some sprinkled through - my back pain all but disappeared. I should dust those off, too.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-15, 11:49 PM  
fatkat555

I'm not over 50, but I turn 49 in December. I currently teach barre and naturally I love it. If you remember, I'm a big Firm fan and did the Firm exclusively for YEARS. Well, four kids later and add some age with shoulder issues and in comes barre. I have fewer aches for sure, but I have to do barre consistently to maintain and see results. I, too, have had my best lower body definition from barre - even better than when I was doing the Firm exclusively. I still pull out my old Firms and Fitprimes, but barre is the bulk of my workouts. Most often I'll teach myself my own class that I'm going to teach my students the next day so I can see where the pitfalls of the class might lie. Other times I just want to go on autopilot and have someone else instruct me. On these days, I do SBF, Bar Method, Leah Sarago, and some others. I'm always working on ways to incorporate more upper body work with barre, but quite honestly I have not noticed any strength loss doing barre even with upper body, but I have lost some size in my upper body. My legs look slimmer as well. Booty? Well, I've always had a big, round butt and it's still there. I would say for me personally that the hardest thing to "get" is ab work especially flatback and roundback at the wall. Finally, the light bulb went off and I'm seeing strength gains in my transverse and an improvement in my diastasis caused by 4 kids in 4 years (one set of twins!), 2 c-sections, and other abdominal surgeries. HTH.

You have to make a mess, sometimes, to clean it up.

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
fatkat555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 12:13 AM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

I am 58 and I love barre & ballet workouts! Barre3, Sleek Technique, Jessica Smith, Fluidity, Suzanne Bowen, Essentrics, Tracey Mallett, Balletone, Yoga Booty Ballet, and the list goes on... I feel so much better having given up intense weights, compound moves, and high impact. I am not "ripped", but I am slim, toned, and feel pretty good!
EDIT I should add that I am dealing with a long standing shoulder issue most likely related to heavier weights and kettle bells. My back and knees, both of which were not happy with weights and impact, are much better with barre, ballet, & low impact cardio.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 12:34 PM  
TinaT

I'm so appreciative of the responses. It broadens my view of what will help me. I will always find a way to use my FIRMS, but mixing in barre may help to balance out how I'm feeling physically.
TinaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-15, 07:23 PM  
ealakey
VF Supporter

I like to mix it up a little. I still get fatigued so I'm not sure I could go back to lifting heavier every day. I've started back with Margaret Richard, along with Barlates add ons. Those Barlates workouts are a great find. I'll also try to work in a day of Bar Method or something similar. I still think my best results tend to come from more than my own bodyweight. Everyone is so different; it's worth trying barre or at least mixing it into your week. See how you feel.
~Beth
ealakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 11:05 AM  
superfit41
VF Supporter

I am 53. I still try and do regular weight workouts such as the Firm with barre in between. I keep having minor injuries such as lower back pain and shoulder strain, after doing regular weight workouts and more strenuous cardio workouts I think I am going to have to switch over completely to barre, and low impact cardio such as walking for good. I have had good results from mixing barre with traditional weight workouts, (other than the minor injuries), but I am not enjoying the side effects from heavier weights
Sherry
superfit41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 02:43 PM  
Sara1000

I find that even minor injuries cause me to lay off or at least back off for weeks. I think doing something gentler regularly is more beneficial than doing harder stuff and then having to rest while an injury heals.

Right now I'm still struggling with sciatica - it's gone from totally debilitating to a minor annoyance yet I'm afraid of going too hard on anything lest I aggravate it again.

I've been doing mostly Jessica Smith since I hurt my back. I just ordered Classical Stretch Season 10 and hope that will speed up the healing and help me avoid future injuries.
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 02:56 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
I find that even minor injuries cause me to lay off or at least back off for weeks. I think doing something gentler regularly is more beneficial than doing harder stuff and then having to rest while an injury heals.

Right now I'm still struggling with sciatica - it's gone from totally debilitating to a minor annoyance yet I'm afraid of going too hard on anything lest I aggravate it again.

I've been doing mostly Jessica Smith since I hurt my back. I just ordered Classical Stretch Season 10 and hope that will speed up the healing and help me avoid future injuries.
Amen, Sara! I couldn't agree more. I do a variety of workouts, but I find my body feels its best when I stick w/ the lighter weights. I find Jessica Smith's weekly workout schedules to be very well balanced so I don't end up "over using" anything although I do lift lighter than she does these days on the weights. But I guess I have a few years on her.

I am in a rotation planning mood and I found one I came up w/ that mixes Margaret Richard, Barre, and Pilates. In my mind, they really complement each other!

MR, Pilates & Barre:

Day 1 – Short cardio & MR Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 2 – Short cardio & Pilates Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 3 – Short Cardio & Barre Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 4 – Short Cardio & MR Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 5 – Short Cardio & Pilates Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 6 –Short Cardio & Barre Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 7 - Rest/Stretch

MR, Pilates & Barre w/ Longer Cardio Days

Day 1 – Short Cardio & MR Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 2 – Short Cardio & Pilates Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 3 - Longer Cardio/Stretch
Day 4 – Short Cardio & Barre Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 5 – Short Cardio & MR Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 6 - Longer Cardio/Stretch
Day 7 - Rest/Stretch

Day 1 - Pilates Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 2 -Barre Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 3 - Longer Cardio/Stretch
Day 4 - MR Upper Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 5 - Pilates Lower Body & Abs/Core or Stretch
Day 6 - Longer Cardio/Stretch
Day 7 - Rest or Stretch
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-15, 04:21 PM  
Missiscipi

I am 42, have 2 herniated discs in my lower back and cannot lift weights except maybe 3lbs each hand. Plus I have to be super careful. I started doing Callanetics and the pelvic tuck was miraculous with my back. I got bored with it quickly and found Pure Barre. I have been doing 20 workouts in 30 days and am on 15 I think. I am seeing great changes in my legs, butt, abs and arms. I am rotating the Pure Barre Pure Results dvds and doing them about 5-6x per week. I will say the results came on slower than kettlebells and heavy weight lifting but it is something I can do and I don't feel beat up. I am actually liking the leaning and less "puffy" look. Kettlebells make me feel a little "harder" muscle wise but I am very happy with barre and probably am a convert
Missiscipi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barre, over 50