Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-26-15, 04:57 PM  
Sara1000

If you've made a shift. . .

to fusion type workouts like Ellen Barrett, Classical Stretch, away from traditional weight work, what kind of results are you seeing? Has your body gotten softer?

How long have you been avoiding heavier weights? Or do you mix them in occasionally? If so how often?

What are your favorite workouts/instructors?
Sara1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 06:25 PM  
Lori_Michigan

No loss of muscle tone at all, and lost 10 pounds last year. I haven't lifted more than 5 pounds in a year and my arms and legs are so much more lean than before. I found that lifting any more than that makes me so sore that I can't do anything and I almost feel sick now from it. Just not worth it for me!

Low and slow is the way for me these days!

Favorite instructors: Ellen, CS, Jessica Smith, Tracie Long, Petra Kolber, Tracy Anderson, any low impact dance, Leslie
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 06:27 PM  
Sara1000

Lori, what workouts do you use?
Old 04-26-15, 06:50 PM  
Michefit

I switched from Cathe to TA and Tonique (if that counts) I walk, do yoga when time permits and sometimes Body 360 (Michelle Dozois) I have actually gained definition in my arms - lost inches all over and de-puffed. I was doing only TA workouts - including her Dance Cardio - but I did notice some loss of tone in the butt area - so I have added Tonique - awesome - this is by no means easy - but all body weight exercise (except for the 2-3 lbs dumbbells). I did not like how I was feeling or looking with the heavy weights. I look forward to my workouts - and love the leaned out look I now have.
Michefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 07:01 PM  
PhyllisG

I gave up heavy weights about 5 years ago and have never looked back. I am leaner, more toned, have less soreness and less appetite. I have fallen in love with barre, ballet and fusion work. My body actually feels tighter and more flexible. I like the idea of your body working together as a unit rather than concentrating on one body part for what began to seem to me like endless reps.
I no longer feel wrung out after a workout and have no interest in the puke in a bucket either. Really it has become wanting to be fit not sore, not hurting and really no longer caring about how much can I bench press.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 07:28 PM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara1000 View Post
Lori, what workouts do you use?
Mostly just CS/Essentrics, Ellen, walking with Jessica and Leslie, low impact dance workouts, Tracie Long, some ballet (but not barre since it makes me bulk). I used to work out for 90 minutes a day, and since I've gone down to just 30-45 minutes a day, it's all my body needs.

I'm also just not as hungry, and don't snack anymore. I try not to get too sweaty during workouts as I've realized that level just doesn't work for me now (I'm 41). I work full-time, own a business, have active kids who run me all over with their activities -- I just can't stress about workouts anymore. Getting in whatever I can, when I feel I can, that's what worked for me at this stage in the game!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-15, 08:38 PM  
Sara1000

No one seems to have any regrets . . . I am so wanting to go in that direction!
Old 04-26-15, 08:57 PM  
Sara1000

Lately I've been doing some barre/ballet and Classical Stretch, but my plan was to keep throwing in some Cathe a couple of times a week, but lately I just don't want to. But I feel guilty about not doing it, and often end up not doing anything.
Old 04-26-15, 09:41 PM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

I love my Classical Stretch and Essentrics! Between CS, walking, Ellen and a little Qi Gong I am at my leanest in years! No regrets.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-15, 05:23 AM  
Tugger31

I had the opposite result. I got soft and definitely lost strength. I've never been defined but you could see the muscle/shape in my arms. With barre I ended up having what I called sausage arms and tree trunk legs...big blocks with no shape. Barre also started making my shoulders and upper arms look what I thought to be bigger, I didn't take measurements though, so maybe it was the illusion b/c I lost my shape. I am doing Body Beast now, but planning on adding more cardio and I'm also eating at a lower calorie amount than the program suggests, hoping not to add "bulk" b/c of a calorie deficit. The program as written has you eating too many calories (in my opinion) which I guess is the point b/c in order to build muscle you need to eat more. I want my muscles to get some shape and strength, not size.
Tugger31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, low intensity, weights only