Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-13, 02:52 PM  
AprilCleo

Am I the only one who doesn't like cardio?

I have tried but I cannot find any cardio that I like. I use to love step but now I can do about 15 minutes and I stop. I have been doing STS and just started Meso 2 and for my rest week I did UY. I would prefer to do weights one day and yoga the next, but feel I should do some kind of cardio. It's to cold here to walk outside which I will do in the summer. How much cardio do we really need and can I get away with doing only weights and yoga?

Barbara
AprilCleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 03:02 PM  
mle777

I don't like it either (besides walking and the occasional dance workout). I want Cathe's LIS because it's on sale at her site right now, but I'd never do the cardio workouts, so I've held off ordering it.

My plan for the new year is weights, yoga, and walking. I get my heart rate up enough with heavy weights, so I'm just not going to worry about cardio.

You might be interested in this thread:
http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...ights+everyday

3x Tough Mudder
mle777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 04:59 PM  
PhyllisG

I am not a big fan of cardio either. I used to love step but have given that up too. I really am no longer interested in learning the choreography for step. I walk with Leslie or outdoors. I like LMP because it gets your heart rate up and you are lifting at the same time.
I also have been doing Cindy Whitmarsh's UFIT that has bursts of cardio with strength, sculpt and stretch. Plus they are only 20 minutes.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:02 PM  
JAusten

I don't like it at all! I only walk now too. I use to run and do all those cardio machines at the gym, but now I just won't do it.
JAusten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:05 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

What is it about cardio that you dislike? I'm just asking because there are so many different activities that can be considered 'cardio!' Maybe there is a different activity that would provide the same health benefit that's more enjoyable for you?
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:10 PM  
luvcritters
VF Supporter

My doctor ordered me to do an hour of cardio a day. Good thing I like it.
luvcritters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:28 PM  
starbelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
What is it about cardio that you dislike? I'm just asking because there are so many different activities that can be considered 'cardio!' Maybe there is a different activity that would provide the same health benefit that's more enjoyable for you?
I think that the OP is referring to steady-state cardio. I used to do loads (cycling, rollerblading, elliptical, stairmaster) but I no longer enjoy it either. I might do a bit on my rebounder because bouncing is fun, but I now cycle for transportation and to see some nature/scenery-- no more 50+ mile rides for me!

I do kettlebell workouts which aren't cardio in the traditional sense of the word, but the intervals do get the heart rate up and I am able to keep up on those occasions that I do need cardiovascular endurance. There are a number of shorter kettlebell workouts (Lauren Brooks has some that are 15-20 min) that will get your heart racing but provide a change of activity every 30-60 seconds. Maybe if you change things up you will enjoy the cardio benefits of interval training.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:43 PM  
dbclark44

I'm also not a big fan of the traditional cardio machines. Mainly because I have knee issues and riding the bike or doind the elliptical makes my knees hurt. I can do some Leslie or Cathe but I modify the moves a lot to favor my knees. I get my heart rate up so I'm thankful for Cathe's LIS and XTrain which have great metabolic training which has the added benefit of a cardio effect.

Rotations are an immunization against procrastination.
dbclark44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 05:52 PM  
Jane1721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
I was thinking/wondering the same thing! Fast and light weight workouts, for example, definitely have a cardio effect.

I love love love cardio (endorphins!), but like Phyllis, I have completely lost interest in learning new/complex choreography. I still enjoy the step workouts that I am already familiar with, and am adding Leslie to my DVD collection for new cardio only workouts.
Jane1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-13, 06:07 PM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Walking is not considered cardio? What is it, then?

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
no cardio, weights only