Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-16-13, 12:21 PM  
pcdoctor01

Black women, hair and working out from Nicole Ari Parker

http://perfecthaircollection.com/con...--save-your-do

"Save Your Do" is more than a battle cry from women across the world. It actually has a greater meaning than the head wrap that it is. Save Your Do is a creation that will help women keep hair intact as well as be motivated to stay in shape.

Actress, Nicole Ari Parker, is in an industry where appearance is always on the forefront. Parker admits that the Save Your Do wrap came at a time when she and her girlfriends were fed up with spending money on beautiful hairdo's only to sweat it out while exercising. There was nothing on the market that would allow the women protect their hair from frizzing.

She also recognized the larger tragedy in the ideal that as African-American women, “we opt out of self care to keep our hairstyle.” Stating that “there's got to be a way” to work out and keep our hair fly.

This natural-born entrepreneur would not let anything stop her and she decided that it was time to take hair matters into her own hands. “At the time, I thought 'it's 2011, if we can pay $60 to pay for an outfit to wear to gym to keep our bodies in shape, there's got to be a way to do something for hair,’” the mother of two states.

After trial and error of different fabrics and styles, visits to sports stores and sewing sweat resistant materials inside of hats, Parker found a design and fabric that gave her the result she knew would make a difference.

Today, Parker hears testimonials about how the wrap has given women the desire to continue to workout and not have the worry of losing a hairstyle. One wearer told the actress that she lost 80 pounds and the Save Your Do wrap was her encouragement.

This November, expect to see a Save Your Do infomercial and save your do, and quite possibly your life.

How to Save Your Do!
**She assures that Save Your Do is for women with all types of hairstyles; relaxed, natural, weaves, etc. “If you wear a weave that front hair line is getting abused because if we go to the gym we still have to fry it on a daily basis to match the weave,” she explains. Parker advises that when using the Save Your Do head wrap, that a nutrient rich product be used on the edges of the hair and then apply the wrap. This way the hair is being moisturized and protected while going through a workout.**
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 12:40 PM  
blzgrl

I really don't need this but I want it!
blzgrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 12:55 PM  
jessicavi

Wow, that's interesting and sad. I've read about this phenomenon about women shunning exercise to preserve their hair. I have short hair, low maintenance (Great Clips is my friend) hair. So I don't worry as much about sweat and messing up my hair. Then again, I'm not much of a sweater. I admit there are times when I feel my hair looks less than ideal. However, I don't attribute it to working out as much as thinking my hair is "growing out." I'd rather be healthy and alive with my family than dead with an awesome hairdo. JMHO.

ETA: I just realized, I spend more money on videos/fitness stuff than i do my hair but it doesn't show.
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:03 PM  
pcdoctor01

I wear a bandana when working out and still have my curlers in my hair, so it's not an issue for me. Even when I workout when I get home, I just do it.
pcdoctor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:03 PM  
Yelly

I'm wearing mine right now! OpenSky had a free shipping plus $$ off, and I couldn't resist! I'm Caucasian, and I would always hate it when I would take the time to do my hair, only to have my workout ruin it the next day. Now, I can't say it works perfect or anything, but it does help. More than anything, I just love that it keeps my hair out of my face, and it helps my glasses stay on while I'm sweating, if I tie it on tight enough. I got the Full Triangle (I think it's called) style.

Not sure that it's worth that price, but they're quite handy to have
Yelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:11 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicavi View Post
Wow, that's interesting and sad. I've read about this phenomenon about women shunning exercise to preserve their hair. I have short hair, low maintenance (Great Clips is my friend) hair. So I don't worry as much about sweat and messing up my hair. Then again, I'm not much of a sweater. I admit there are times when I feel my hair looks less than ideal. However, I don't attribute it to working out as much as thinking my hair is "growing out." I'd rather be healthy and alive with my family than dead with an awesome hairdo. JMHO.

ETA: I just realized, I spend more money on videos/fitness stuff than i do my hair but it doesn't show.
Exactly how I feel! I have a dear friend who lives in fear of messing up her hair. She doesn't work out EVER and is not in good health. We had a girls weekend last week and she even did her hair and put on makeup before we left our hotel room to walk across the parking lot to the spa where she was having a facial. It cracks me up as I am so opposite. I would also prefer to be healthy and alive rather than dead with awesome hair!

That being said the "Save Your Do" looks very cool and would be great to fashionably keep your hair off of your forehead when sweating it out. But a nice headband or bandana would probably work just as well for far less $.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:13 PM  
jessicavi

Ok, I saw it online for $24.95 and needless to say, I'd rather spend that money on more videos. Just sayin' .

http://store.saveyourdo.com/wide-band-gymwrap-p4.aspx
jessicavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:30 PM  
moonbeam31

It just looks like a think band of nylon to put over your hairline. I am not black, but I have long hair and style it and do my workouts around my hairdo for work, but then it goes up into the ponytail and there is no going back from that until you wash and re-style. I tend to workout in the afternoon/evening on my work days and in in the mid morning on my off days-I must say I do have to plan for my hair somewhat around the workout/shower shcedule for sure! It looks like a good enough idea and if it helps women want to workout more-that is great too!
moonbeam31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:33 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

here's something very affordable on amazon:

Stay On Satin Natural Style Wrapping Cloth

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-13, 01:36 PM  
deneise11

I'm black and my hair looks awful from working out. To top it off my sister is a cosmetologist. People always ask me why don't you get your hair done more often? It's almost useless to do it, so I just wash and go.Your hair can really make you looked older or younger: trust me I know. Our hair is different, we can't just wash it and it will look nice. Glad to see this, maybe it will help me
deneise11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hair, natural hair