Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-14-11, 09:01 AM  
cristinalatina

oooh great post sunday, and you achieved the results I'm looking for!

I also dislike cardio very much, especially high impact moves. I like walking outdoors briskly, and it gives me a very good cardio workout whenever I do (about twice a week) but also my muscles are pretty sore afterwards, especially thighs and calves.

Hmmm I might need to increase frequency, I have some Leslies so I might just try to do them more often and see how it goes! Thanks for the inspiration by a fellow current cardio naysayer
Old 12-14-11, 09:24 AM  
neatski

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan View Post
i certainly don't think this is the only valid definition of cardiovascular exercise. The tabata protocol, which has been used by high level athletes for many years to improve cardiovascular conditioning, does not fit this description.
ita

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 10:07 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
Experts can disagree, but then I don't imagine many of them run around after children, clean house, and scratch cook and bake all meals most days per week (knead your own bread several times per week just for an example).
And anyone who says vacuuming 3 floors of house for 2+ hours isn't cardio exercise is plain nuts!

Why not? you don't think experts can have a life and family of their own?

In any case, I've been there - the whole run around after children, clean house, cook from scratch etc etc. and on one hand, I agree - all that everyday lifestyle activity kept me leaner than I am now. On the other hand, vacuuming 3 floors of a house for 2+ hours, which I still do (unless I can avoid it ) does not feel like cardio to me, not the same way doing intervals on a bike or a session of zumba does. It feels like activity, for sure, but it my body doesn't respond to it the way a structured cardio session does.

I do agree that this type of activity contributes to overall heart health and, but may not be enough for improved fitness or weight loss, depending on the individual. I believe both structured, planned cardio and lifestyle activity/NEAT are both important contributers to fitness and weight management.

but the real point here is - congrats Deana! happy to hear you have found something working for you, and I'm excited that a new yoga teacher is about to be launched into the world!

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 10:13 AM  
suegy3

Congrats on your awesome results! You're doing your heart and other muscles good by adding it in. I'm doing more cardio and I feel great, with increased energy and endurance. I'm switching up the treadmill with kettlebells and Chalene's HHH.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 10:33 AM  
hotncmom

I have an acquaintance who is obese and a while back she went back to work as a teacher after being a SAHM for a few years. I was trying to talk to her about exercise and she said that her new job would be plenty of exercise because she would be moving around a lot more during the day. She has been back at her "active" job for several years and doesn't appear to have slimmed down at all. I think a lot of people fool themselves into thinking that NEAT counts as exercise and they will lose weight from it, and forego exercise because of this myth (which seems to be perpetuated by the media: take the stairs! park farther away!). No doubt it is better than nothing, but it doesn't appear this is very effective for weight loss.

But I know more than one person who has lost weight just by walking around the neighborhood. I posted about a young man I met several weeks ago who doesn't walk very fast or very far (about a mile?), yet I have seen him transform his physique over the last 3 years.
hotncmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 10:44 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophie View Post
Why not? you don't think experts can have a life and family of their own?

In any case, I've been there - the whole run around after children, clean house, cook from scratch etc etc. and on one hand, I agree - all that everyday lifestyle activity kept me leaner than I am now. On the other hand, vacuuming 3 floors of a house for 2+ hours, which I still do (unless I can avoid it ) does not feel like cardio to me, not the same way doing intervals on a bike or a session of zumba does. It feels like activity, for sure, but it my body doesn't respond to it the way a structured cardio session does.

I do agree that this type of activity contributes to overall heart health and, but may not be enough for improved fitness or weight loss, depending on the individual. I believe both structured, planned cardio and lifestyle activity/NEAT are both important contributers to fitness and weight management.

but the real point here is - congrats Deana! happy to hear you have found something working for you, and I'm excited that a new yoga teacher is about to be launched into the world!
I agree. The real point is to congrat Deana.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 11:54 AM  
sunday

Thanks so much for everyone's congrats! Christina, Debbie, Sophie, Lucia, Paine, Lyn, Amy, Tiffany, and everyone else. VFers really are the best.

Before I started Leslie, I always had good cardio capacity, from all the fusion workouts I did and from teaching (walking all the time). But I think the difference for me was switching to long, steady state cardio. That seems to be the key. Everything else is my life has remained the same; I eat super clean, but did before Leslie too. I was not doing TA at the time I first noticed the changes, and yoga did not produce any lower body changes, only upper body. So through process of elimination I've realized it's the long cardio sessions.

The workouts I did before had carido; lots of fusion with cardio woven throughout, like Ellen, etc. But I never got these results with those. For what it's worth.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 12:28 PM  
sunday

Update::::

I haven't weighed myself for about six weeks, but I decided to step on the scale to see if any of these physical changes are registering, and they are! I have now lost a total of 47 pounds! I dropped two more pounds, and this was me weighing myself AFTER breakfast, just now.

At the risk of deifying Leslie, I have to say it's all because of my staying dedicated to that long, steady state cardio. And I wasn't even trying to lose anymore as I had reached my goal.

Doing the happy dance ...
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 12:41 PM  
gladgirl

Smile

Just want to say congrats! It is truly wonderful that you can and are doing "the happy dance!" Thank you so much for sharing your story.
gladgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-11, 12:43 PM  
Diana3271

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
Update::::

I haven't weighed myself for about six weeks, but I decided to step on the scale to see if any of these physical changes are registering, and they are! I have now lost a total of 47 pounds! I dropped two more pounds, and this was me weighing myself AFTER breakfast, just now.

At the risk of deifying Leslie, I have to say it's all because of my staying dedicated to that long, steady state cardio. And I wasn't even trying to lose anymore as I had reached my goal.

Doing the happy dance ...
Congratulatons! You have gotten awesome results!

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, biggest difference