Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-13-11, 12:18 PM  
sunday

Former cardio naysayer converted

I lost most of my 45 pounds with fusion and barre and never did cardio. However, I still had unsightly cellulite and fat on my legs - thighs, knees and calves. In October I decided to cut back on the toning aspect a bit and concentrate on adding in Leslie daily, six days a week. Now I can definitely say Leslie, of all things, has made the biggest difference in my legs!

The fat is literally melting off, the inches are leaving, and my legs have a really nice shape - all the toning I had been doing is showing! Now that I'm using TA the results will finally start to show! TA is right when she says the cardio is so important.

Has anyone else had really good fat loss results with added cardio? For reference, I do 45-60 minutes of Leslie daily, six days a week. I never would have believed something so simple as Leslie would cause such dramatic results. Unfortunately, due to a bad knee I can't do any high impact, so Leslie it is!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:33 PM  
SpiritSong

Hi, Deana! I have absolutely nothing to add, but wanted to thank you for posting this. I love to read how other people achieved results (whatever results those may be).
Old 12-13-11, 12:35 PM  
topfitmama

When I walk a lot I definitely notice the difference. It's that steady state cardio, I guess.
Like you, I hold onto fat on my legs, especially my thighs. But this only works if I'm eating well, too.
On the other hand, toning helps make my legs and butt more shapely. I think we need both.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:52 PM  
neatski

I say that it's doing something different that always gets your body out of plateaus. It sounds like adding some cardio after having not done it for a long time was what your body needed to be challenged again.

The most effective workout is the one you're not doing right now!

neatski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 12:53 PM  
koinonia

I don't weigh myself or take measurements, but since doing Turbo Fire for 7 straight weeks, my thigh is thinning out. Making a circle using my middle fingers and thumbs on both hands, I can actually wrap it around my lower thigh, which was something I couldn't do before. I guess that's how I measure my progress.

I hated cardio before, but I really LOVE Turbo Fire. I think the key is to find a cardio you like and do it consistently.
koinonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 01:51 PM  
Diana3271

My situation is a little different. I have lost a lot of weight. I think cardio has been a very important part of my weight loss. My exercise focus has always been on cardio. I supplement with weights 2 or 3 times a week. I also like using light weights/weighted gloves to boost the intensity of my cardio workouts. Now that I have lost the weight/fat I am able to see the muscle definition.

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 02:02 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I'm all for whatever works and it looks like you've found a good solution. I could never do that much Leslie, but I think she works great for those who can.
Old 12-13-11, 03:31 PM  
Breezy Trousers

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiritSong View Post
Hi, Deana! I have absolutely nothing to add, but wanted to thank you for posting this. I love to read how other people achieved results (whatever results those may be).
I agree with Amy ... Deana, your results are very inspiring!

Because you walked so many of those inches off with Leslie, I'm curious --- which Leslie workouts turned out to be your favorites?
Breezy Trousers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 03:36 PM  
sunday

Hey Breezy!

I actually have only a small list of favorites since my Leslie collection is not super huge:

3 Mile Slim and Sleek Walk
Walk Your Belly Flat 3 Miles
4 Fast Miles!
3 Mile Weight Loss Walk

These are the ones I use the most. I also just discovered her 1 Mile Advanced Jog, which was an extra with the 4 Fast Miles, and have just started adding that, which I also really love.

It's funny because I always dreaded Leslie, until I actually started using her a lot. Now I love her! And of course once I realized I wasn't imagining my results, I started loving her even more. Once you get into her, her workouts really are all different, so I feel like I'm not using the same muscles all the time. Yes, they're the same steps, but like with dancing, they're choreographed differently so it's always somewhat mixed up.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 03:37 PM  
txfitmom

I don't know why but when I did a strictly Leslie rotation for a month I did not lose a single pound and my legs got bigger! Walking does work for me to trim the fat, but I just respond better to other types of walking workouts or walking outside. I think all her kicks and leg lifts might have done me in.

Margaret Richard makes a comment in Beauty to the Bone about doing the toning work and just adding on some kind of cardio to basically get the fat off your body so you can see the muscle definition.

I have been stuck on a plateau for several months now and finally figured out that I need an exact combination of certain types of exercises to lose weight. I went back at my fitness calendar and looked to see what was I doing when I lost the most weight and it was TA stuff from either her book or meta (only did it 2 to 3 times a week though), walking, and a few toning/weight training workouts like KCM, Cathe, etc. Mostly I was doing a lot of variety, changing it up every single day.

I think what is important for me is to do lots of floor work for my lower body (3-4 days a week minimum), heavier weights for upper body (at least 2 days a week), walking consistently at a steady state every day for at least 30 minutes, a few dance workouts sprinkled in for fun, and some barre and pilates workouts that have larger range of movements such as Ellen Barrett, Jennifer Galardi, or Tracey Mallett (at least 2 days a week). Nothing else works for me than this combination. If I focus on heavy weights too much I plateau, if I only do cardio I plateau, if I only do pilates I plateau. It is the combo of all of these together and the mixing and matching of workouts every day that does it for me.

That is my magic for losing weight and I am sticking to it this year, not getting off track with all of the new stuff coming out!
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
biggest change, biggest difference