Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-11, 01:32 PM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
One more thought, does anyone think body type influences how well different types of workouts work for people? I'm definitely an ectomorph and have a really tough time gaining and maintaining muscle so it would be virtually impossible for me to bulk up. My sister on the other hand is a mesomorph. When we were younger all she had to do was diet a little and she would immediately lose weight and still looked toned. Used to drive me crazy! I wonder if she would bulk up easily if she did a lot of weight lifting though?
I'm a mesomorph-hourglass but since a my surgeries I have had a higher BF% due to all the downtime, muscle atrophy, and lost of mobility. I'm the type that can lose 3-5 pounds and be down a full jean size (1.5-2 inches in my waist). I also lose and gain weight evenly. Body type does influence what works for whom. Each body type and honestly, each person, has a different ratio of fast and slow twitch muscle fibers in their body. Depending on what body type you are will have the impact on what your ratios are. Therefore, workouts work differently for each body type. The same goes for body shapes (Pear, Hourglass, Ruler, Triangle-larger upper body, ect)

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 01:47 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
The same goes for body shapes (Pear, House Glass, Ruler, Triangle-larger upper body, ect)
I was trying to figure out what shape this was until I realized you'd meant to say hourglass, lol.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 01:53 PM  
Artist of Eyes

LOL- Opps! I'll change that!

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 02:11 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfitmom View Post
I am going to experiment with this to find out. I am an endomorph and I know that certain workouts just don't do anything for me. I have been looking for ideas online to see what is suggested, but there are so many ideas for types of workouts for endomorphs that I am having a hard time narrowing it down. I am going to go through my fitness collection and see what I can get rid of based on my body type, tired of wasting time doing workouts that just don't do anything!

I will post some links of things I have found online related to body type, some really interesting stuff!
Oh, that sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to reading those.
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 02:18 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Me too, thanks!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 02:41 PM  
Rhonda

Interesting post and reminds me when I did Body for Life many years ago now. It was heavy lifting 3 days and HIIT cardio 3 days. I lost 12-15 pounds. This was all I did besides eating cleaner.

Now I am cardio obsessed and not a lot of weights.

I was planning on STS starting Monday and LIS cardio but now thinking STS with HIIT cardio on alternate days. I am getting Cathes HIIT workout but possibly instead of that all the time of doing LIS cardio.

Wondering if I should reduce the amount of time I do cardio to 30 minutes or less? Right now I am doing 45-50 minutes every morning and the evening doing strength or more cardio.

Now if I switch back and forth with STS and 30 minute cardio (maybe longer as I like to spin). This would give me evenings to get my yoga back to where it should be. I don't think this would interfere with results of the lifting.

Thanks Daisyduke for starting this thread.

Rhonda
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 03:35 PM  
Kyra

I have done a rotation like that and enjoyed it (BodyRx); however I'm too much of a runner to settle into that kind of program for any great length of time. I just get itchy to get back on the road. Paired with good nutrition, I can see it working out very well, though. I'm all for heavy lifting. Glad you found a way that works for you!

Certified Bulletproof Athlete
Kyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 04:30 PM  
lovemykid

I wish I had got the same results with heavy lifting and little cardio. I LOVE lifting heavy. I thought my very active 6 hour per day job would have helped me out since it's somewhat cardio all day (cafeteria). My results were not good. But I'm 5'2, perhaps being short didn't help matters. Seems like I only get results when I'm treadmilling myself to death and going hungry. Yeah, I'm jealous (hee hee) but I'm happy for you!
lovemykid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 04:34 PM  
cherimac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyofjoeyp View Post
I am a mesomorph and I definitely had to cut out the heavy weight lifting since my upper body was bulking big time (not a look I want since my upper body is naturally larger than the lower body). I still do cardio only 2 days per week however for toning/strengthening I am now doing barre-type workouts 4 days per week.
I'm short (almost 5'2") and a meso with a medium frame. For me, heavy lifting is not the best thing. I find AWT/Circuit type workouts (more high rep/low weight) and moderate cardio to be the ticket.

ETA: In an inverted triangle body type, which may be why my upper body doesn't need heavy weights either. For my lower body, I find high rep/low weight and/or body weight exercises to be much better for me as well.
Old 11-02-11, 05:46 PM  
txfitmom

Here are some links I found for information on body types and workouts:

Recommended exercises for Endomorph body type with video of exercises

Interesting Article About the 3 Body Types

Here is a piece from that article:
Endomorph: Workout 2 days on, 1 day off. Go for a rep range of 12. Do about 4-5 sets for every movement. A 60 minute workout should do it.

Ecotomorph: Workout every other day. Go for a rep range of 8 or 10. Do about 3 sets for every movement. A 30 minute workout plan should be sufficient.

Mesomorph: Workout every other day as well. Go for a rep range of 8 to 12. Do about 3 to 5 sets for every movement. A 45min to a little over an hour workout should be just fine for you.

Here is an extensive workout plan for different body types

Here is an interesting post about endomorph workouts

Tom Venuto's Burn the Fat Endomorph Article

Here are some interesting videos on the body types
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy weights, strength training, sts double up, weights only