Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-02-11, 06:41 AM  
momofcha

This is me. I HATE cardio & would lift every single day if I could

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 07:28 AM  
Amazon

Best results I've ever gotten = STS plus HIIT on non-weight-training days.

Recently my runner girlfriend told me, "oh, but you work out hours and hours every day." I told her, "No, that's you." I rarely work out more than an hour a day (weights), only 20-25 minutes for cardio intervals, and my biggest chunk of time is a once-a-week yoga class (1.5 hours) but she's got some kind of mental block about it, like if she can't spend hours running daily then she's wasting her time.

I've been flirting with kettlebells because I enjoy them and I love the workouts, but so far I've been classifying them as Aerobic Weight Training: highly effective but nothing like STS, especially Meso 3 and especially when I really load the barbell as heavy as I can.
Amazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 08:02 AM  
pattyd0319

I remember on seeing on the P90x forums, some of the experts encouraging runners to cut back on running to see better results when doing P90x and a couple of bloggers did mention positive results when they did.

To me, if I'm running like I am now, there is no way my body could handle a heavy strength training rotation so I'm squeeze in 1 to 2 total body workouts a week. But after November I plan to start a strength training rotation and will cut back on cardio to 2 to 3 days a week. But I won't go into the rotation expecting to slim down as my appetite sky rockets when I go heavy. Rather it will be with a focus on strength gains and maintaining my weight.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 09:07 AM  
turbo1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist of Eyes View Post
I've always seen the best results when weights were the focus, not cardio.
Same here....I love cardio BUT anytime I've successfully lost fat, it was when heavy wts were my main focus of exercise and eating well of course, with short cardio sessions varying the intensity.
Old 11-02-11, 09:42 AM  
Artist of Eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo1 View Post
Same here....I love cardio BUT anytime I've successfully lost fat, it was when heavy wts were my main focus of exercise and eating well of course, with short cardio sessions varying the intensity.
Oh boy... I think I found what workout I'm doing this morning; my first ever STS! I've been avoiding it bc of the 60 mins and my elbow flares with all the heavy bicep work, but I'll lighten the load if need be.

I think this thread successfully talked me into a weight-focused winter. Starting in a few weeks I won't be able to get outdoors for walking anymore and we're getting a treadmill, so there's my HIIT 2x per week. I could even sub in 1 or 2 Step workouts for additional lower body work. I wanted to drop a certain amount of weight by May but I know as well as anyone, losing BF% is the goal, not weight. So... it's back to Cathe. STS, Gym Styles, MM, and a few others of hers. The occasional 10 Pound Slimdown Extreme for shaking it up and I'm golden. Thanks DaisyDuke for starting this thread. it motivated me to get into my lifting focus workouts for better overall health and a tighter body.

" We have to embrace who we are today. We have to say, this is me, and I can live a wonderful life today." FitBoop

"Walking is Man's Best Medicine for Life" Hippocrates

"Of all exercises walking is the best." Thomas Jefferson

"Thoughts come clearly while one walks." Thomas Mann
Artist of Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 12:13 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

I used to do all cardio all the time in college. Never touched a dumbell ever back then. It wasn't until I discovered the benefits of weight training (just in the last few years) that I really saw my body transform. What's more is people are commenting on how much better I look too! My sister says I look better than I ever have and much "tighter". I was always skinny fat but didn't think much of it. I never realized how my body could look. Not only that, the strength gains are awesome and extremely empowering! I cringe at what my body fat percentage likely was before I started weights. I never got it checked but I'm sure it was really high! I love cardio though and I don't think I could ever give it up, which is why I love circuit training the best. I have started to add strength only days lately though which I never did in the past.
All that said, the heaviest dumbell I own is 15 lbs and the heaviest kettlebell I have is 25 lbs... this thread is tempting me to challenge myself even more and go buy heavier weights!
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 12:16 PM  
eyefit
VF Supporter

One more thought, does anyone think body type influences how well different types of workouts work for people? I'm definitely an ectomorph and have a really tough time gaining and maintaining muscle so it would be virtually impossible for me to bulk up. My sister on the other hand is a mesomorph. When we were younger all she had to do was diet a little and she would immediately lose weight and still looked toned. Used to drive me crazy! I wonder if she would bulk up easily if she did a lot of weight lifting though?
eyefit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 12:18 PM  
anik

Quote:
Originally Posted by fit44 View Post
Daisy,

How do you do 5 or 6 STS workouts a week? I'm currently doing the program as designed but add in an extra lower body day. I've been tempted to throw in a full body workout once a week.
Not Daisy, but I am seriously considering doing STS 6 times a week. This thread has inspired me:

http://cathe.com/forum/f104/has-anyo...-7-wks-283267/

HTH

ETA: Here is one forum member (DirtDiva, page 4, post # 40) describes her results and gives some useful advice/tips after completing the STS strength program doing STS workouts 6 times a week (very informative post) -- this is exactly how I am going to do that (if I decide to take the plunge):

http://cathe.com/forum/f104/has-anyo...67/index4.html
anik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 12:37 PM  
txfitmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
One more thought, does anyone think body type influences how well different types of workouts work for people? I'm definitely an ectomorph and have a really tough time gaining and maintaining muscle so it would be virtually impossible for me to bulk up. My sister on the other hand is a mesomorph. When we were younger all she had to do was diet a little and she would immediately lose weight and still looked toned. Used to drive me crazy! I wonder if she would bulk up easily if she did a lot of weight lifting though?
I am going to experiment with this to find out. I am an endomorph and I know that certain workouts just don't do anything for me. I have been looking for ideas online to see what is suggested, but there are so many ideas for types of workouts for endomorphs that I am having a hard time narrowing it down. I am going to go through my fitness collection and see what I can get rid of based on my body type, tired of wasting time doing workouts that just don't do anything!

I will post some links of things I have found online related to body type, some really interesting stuff!
txfitmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 01:32 PM  
mommyofjoeyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyefit View Post
I am a mesomorph and I definitely had to cut out the heavy weight lifting since my upper body was bulking big time (not a look I want since my upper body is naturally larger than the lower body). I still do cardio only 2 days per week however for toning/strengthening I am now doing barre-type workouts 4 days per week.
mommyofjoeyp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heavy weights, strength training, sts double up, weights only