Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-08-13, 06:21 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I'm less worried about weight loss and more concerned about whether I need cardio for health reasons...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomOf2Gremlins View Post
That's what I'm currently worried about! The 20-30 min daily cardio suggestion immediately comes to my mind...I think the big question is, how important is it to you to keep up your cardio stamina as well as your heart health?
I'm so glad to see the question about cardio put this way. All the time here I'm reading how people don't like cardio and skip it or do very little. And I think "This is a group concerned about health?!" The "official" recommendations for fitness always include resistance training in addition to cardio and never indicate that strength training can take the place of cardio. I'd like more info on the subject too. My thinking is that strength training, like basketball and tennis, is not considered "cardio" because it's "stop & start" movement. What is the research?
Old 08-08-13, 07:39 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judith L View Post
I'm so glad to see the question about cardio put this way. All the time here I'm reading how people don't like cardio and skip it or do very little. And I think "This is a group concerned about health?!" The "official" recommendations for fitness always include resistance training in addition to cardio and never indicate that strength training can take the place of cardio. I'd like more info on the subject too. My thinking is that strength training, like basketball and tennis, is not considered "cardio" because it's "stop & start" movement. What is the research?
If I could piggy back onto Judith's questions, I see people refer to a "cardio effect" when they do some strength workouts. Is a "cardio effect" the same as cardio? I am asking out of a lack of knowledge, not disagreement...

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 08:15 AM  
Sue B
VF Supporter

Yes, you can get a cardio effect with weights.
http://www.jensinkler.com/lift-weights-faster/

What I used to hear is that basketball and tennis weren't considered "aerobic" because of the stopping-and-starting.

Drop Two Sizes, Fit Body Blueprint, STRONG Eat. Lift. Thrive. and Revamp grad

DISCLOSURE: I have a professional relationship with a seller or producer of fitness videos or products. For details, please see my profile.
Sue B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 08:43 AM  
Judith L
VF Supporter

As I've understood it, cardio that is considered "aerobic exercise for the heart" has got to be constant for at least ten minutes at a time in one's target zone with no starting & stopping (for a minimum cumulative total of 30 min. a day 5/6 days a week -- that's at a moderate pace.). --That just a cumulative amount of time in one's target zone at the end of the day is not the same thing. Playing a game of basketball or tennis surely gets one into one's target zone for a good while, yet it doesn't meet the criteria according to the recommendations. It's got to be the constant exertion evidently, even if it is not intense. As I said, I really would like more info on this.

ETA: And evidently the intensity doesn't even matter that much and affects mainly the total amount of time spent in one's target zone per week, though still keeping the minimum 10 minutes (not starting & stopping) at a time rule.
Old 08-08-13, 09:07 AM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Our bodies are meant to be moving, and our workouts really are just a small fraction out of our day. I think what is even more important is how active we are during the rest of our day. If you just do a 30-60 minute workout per day without any cardio, and are sedentary the rest of the day, then I would look at adding some type of walking activity in the evening.

I know there isn't a one size when it comes to working out, and it is very evident here at VF, but I really do think that fluid movement is extremely important, rather it's playing with your kids, cleaning your house, doing yard work, etc.

I have a very dear friend who is 90 years old, and she always tells me that you have to move it or you'll lose it. She lives on the Hood Canal and swims when the weather warms up. She walks everywhere when she is at her condo on Oahu, even to her exercise class, which is about a 1/2 mile from her condo.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:43 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I don't know what the answer is to the issues that both Val and Judith brought up. However, I wear a HRM during all of my strength workouts, so I do know that for many of them (not all), I'm in my target HR for a significant portion of the workout. So, I would hope that that maybe I'd still be getting enough cardio for health purposes even with my weight workouts.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 09:47 AM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie S. View Post
Our bodies are meant to be moving, and our workouts really are just a small fraction out of our day. I think what is even more important is how active we are during the rest of our day. If you just do a 30-60 minute workout per day without any cardio, and are sedentary the rest of the day, then I would look at adding some type of walking activity in the evening.

I know there isn't a one size when it comes to working out, and it is very evident here at VF, but I really do think that fluid movement is extremely important, rather it's playing with your kids, cleaning your house, doing yard work, etc.

I have a very dear friend who is 90 years old, and she always tells me that you have to move it or you'll lose it. She lives on the Hood Canal and swims when the weather warms up. She walks everywhere when she is at her condo on Oahu, even to her exercise class, which is about a 1/2 mile from her condo.
So true. My grandma is about 96 now and up until very recently she swam every day. Now it is too much for her, but way to go!

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 10:42 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I did have a really good diet, and still do, but it was a lifestyle change, so I don't see it as a diet anymore. I just realized that whatever I did would work, and as long as I did what I loved, I would do it! That was the most important part, working out everyday. I did go through periods of the mindset of "I have to rotate cardio, weights, yoga each week." Gack! I was miserable and in pain with a swollen knee. Do what you love, and do it often.
So true. I am a cardio lover, but have been a bit disappointed in my lower body. I tried a rotation that was primarily weights focused (mostly bodyweight focused) with little cardio, but it made me bored and uphappy. So I am back to doing what I enjoy, which is cardio that really burns my legs, weighted leg work, and bodyweight work. The cardio really revs up my endorphins, which makes me happy. I still hope to get the lower body results I'm looking for, but I just want to be happy and healthy overall. Vanity, at least for now, has to take a back seat.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 01:14 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Bubbles, that's interesting about your experience. You & I are similar in that I'm not happy with my lower body either (although I'm average weight, I'm pear-shaped & hold a lot of fat in my lower body), but unlike you, I don't particularly enjoy cardio, which is why I was thinking of trying the weights-only plan.

Debbie, I missed your post before. I was thinking about factors along the lines of what you posted, particular about getting incidental exercise over the course of one's day. I was also thinking about people who don't do formal exercise at all--some of them are probably still in good cardiovascular health, right?

Anyway, like I said, if I did go to weights-only, it would probably just be sort of an experimental thing, not a permanent one.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-13, 02:05 PM  
Debbie S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Bubbles, that's interesting about your experience. You & I are similar in that I'm not happy with my lower body either (although I'm average weight, I'm pear-shaped & hold a lot of fat in my lower body), but unlike you, I don't particularly enjoy cardio, which is why I was thinking of trying the weights-only plan.

Debbie, I missed your post before. I was thinking about factors along the lines of what you posted, particular about getting incidental exercise over the course of one's day. I was also thinking about people who don't do formal exercise at all--some of them are probably still in good cardiovascular health, right?

Anyway, like I said, if I did go to weights-only, it would probably just be sort of an experimental thing, not a permanent one.
I think genetics will play a huge role here. Even people who exercise all the time can have problems. For my dad, despite his very fit lifestyle, he still ended up having a bi-femoral bypass. Heart problems run on his side, and his dad and his male siblings all died before they were 50.

Mrs. M used to swim across the canal and back in her younger days, plus she's a walker. She is a believer in keeping active. At 90 she cleans her own home, which is 2 stories, and cooks three meals a day for herself. She is just an amazing role model. I know a lot of other seniors who are avid walkers. I consider walking formal exercise.
Don't Compare Yourself to somebody else. BE YOUR BEST! Chalene Johnson

A Spark of Hope

In memory of:
Michael Sparkman
October 11th, 2001-October 21st, 2008
Hope Fimiani
August 26th, 2006-October 13th, 2008
Debbie S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david swenson, hard body yoga, no cardio, rotation, rotations, slim and lean, weights only