Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-23-11, 11:36 AM  
dela

From all the reading I have done lately, it really seems like you can get the best of both worlds with kettlebell workouts. Not sure I need to mention the epic RKS thread here, but I will
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Reviving Old Thread

I was just going to post about this, but first I did a tag search for "no cardio," and this thread came up!

Lately I've been getting frustrated trying to fit everything in cardio, weights, non-weighted toning (I sometimes do barre-type workouts, Ellen Barrett, etc.), Classical Stretch, yoga, Pilates, etc. Cardio is my least-favorite activity, and I don't feel like I get much from it; it fact, more cardio just seems to make me hungry.

I actually don't do much cardio right now--usually one dedicated session per week, plus maybe one cardio/weights interval workout--but I have been wondering about cutting it out altogether, at least for awhile. (I'd probably have the urge to do it on occasion, especially given that I do enjoy kickboxing; I just don't want to feel compelled to do it.)

Any other thoughts on this? Deana, I hadn't realized that you lost all of your weight with no cardio at all--that's amazing! I'm less worried about weight loss and more concerned about whether I need cardio for health reasons, although that's not really a primary issue right now either--I think I'd probably be healthier if I was happier with my workout routine!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 06:17 PM  
daisyduke

I have gotten better results from TA by eliminating her cardio and doing double the MS work. Thanks for bringing this up!
daisyduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:03 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

The only "cardio" I do is walking to and from the Metro 5 days a week, and a walk during lunch. I have very bad knees so most cardio is out for me. I cannot stand "walking" workouts--they irritate my psoas muscle. I love walking outside and do it even in the midst of DC summers.

Otherwise, it's yoga. Currently I'm doing a lot of DDP Yoga workouts. They definitely have a cardio effect as well as the strength/balance/flexibility that you get from yoga.

I also do David Swenson's Short Forms, Eoin Finn's Blissology, Jimmy Barkan's Barkan Method, Karen Voight's Yoga Sculpt, some kundalini yoga ... all yoga, all the time. Ultimate Yogi did not work for me--although I think the program is well designed, Travis didn't click with me; doing 108 days of his program was just a no-go. I bailed after a month.

I'm quite disciplined in what I eat--by now it is lifestyle and not a "diet".

In short, I feel great and weigh less than I did in high school (I'm 57).

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:42 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
I have gotten better results from TA by eliminating her cardio and doing double the MS work. Thanks for bringing this up!
daisyduke, I'm sure you've probably said this, but I can't remember now.... were you doing that double MS work daily? I can't stick with just Tracy -- I need more variety, but at the moment I seem to be wanting to mix up Tracy and yoga.
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:44 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Betsy, thanks for posting. There have been "all-yoga" threads before, but not too many people talk about still doing strength training, etc. without cardio (although I would do yoga as well ).

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:52 PM  
daisyduke

I started with meta ms and one hour of dc. Then I did pds... And I didn't have time for cardio since this is about one hour of ms. My results were amazing with this. now im in continuity and I do each move two times so I double the ms work every day. I would love to do a yoga only rotation, but I am so scared to stop ta, as i have never had results like this.
Old 08-07-13, 07:56 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyduke View Post
I started with meta ms and one hour of dc. Then I did pds... And I didn't have time for cardio since this is about one hour of ms. My results were amazing with this. now im in continuity and I do each move two times so I double the ms work every day. I would love to do a yoga only rotation, but I am so scared to stop ta, as i have never had results like this.
Thanks -- so, you are doing Tracy six days a week?
bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-13, 07:56 PM  
daisyduke

Yes, six days a week
Old 08-07-13, 11:04 PM  
MomOf2Gremlins

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
... I'm less worried about weight loss and more concerned about whether I need cardio for health reasons...
That's what I'm currently worried about! The 20-30 min daily cardio suggestion immediately comes to my mind..

I did Leslie walks almost daily for the past 2-3 years plus light weights (2 and 3 lbs) workouts, then I had a short love affair with running on the treadmill, which honestly left me more soft and mushy feeling as I focused on my ~30-45 min daily runs and kinda skipped strength training... Soon after I re-discovered my love for heavier weights (Joyce Vedral paper workouts) a few weeks ago and very recently KCM. Now I'm absolutely loving lifting weights seriously again and cardio took a backseat... That being said I can see my body changing again for the (much) better toned!

I remember back when I lifted weights seriously at the gym a few years ago and focused on packing on some muscle, I was hardly doing any cardio (maybe 10 min for warm-up b4 the lifting session) and never had such a low bodyfat and great overall muscle tone than back then! (And from having used a HR monitor while lifting, I know, I was burning so many more calories than I ever did with plain cardio, plus the 'after burn' effect hours later, I'm not really surprised!..)

I think the big question is, how important is it to you to keep up your cardio stamina as well as your heart health?
Personally I try to do workouts that I really enjoy so focusing on circuit/total body with KCM 3x/week is what I care about at the moment . On the other 2-3 days I try to balance it out with yoga, barre, pilates and maybe some form of cardio.

"Change what you can. Accept what you can't. Live peacefully with all that's left."

MomOf2Gremlins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
david swenson, hard body yoga, no cardio, rotation, rotations, slim and lean, weights only