Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-15-21, 10:32 PM  
Leonana

Yesterday was an hour and a half of filing and then Mile 1, plus WU and CD, of one of Jessica's Walk dvd's, the one she did with Greg Twombly. I'm blanking on the name. Today was one of my Goodwill finds, the Firm Cardio Weight System, hi-def sculpt. I like it. It moves slow, but that means I can use heavier weights in the future. It's 55 minutes, but I ff'ed through the floor work, so it was about 45 minutes. I liked most of the moves, they were good functional moves. However, I don't like forward lunges, so subbed squats for that move.

It's been fun to try some new dvds. I finally figured out why it's taken me awhile to find other instructors besides Jessica. Jessica was putting out so much on You Tube and dvds that I didn't feel the need. Also, I didn't realize what it was I liked about Jessica's workouts, so I didn't know what to look for. Now I have a better idea. Also, dvds used to be more expensive. I'd spend at least $20 per dvd, including shipping, then not like it. Now, I can find dvds at Goodwill or Thriftbooks, so I don't mind giving them away if I don't like them. Not as much risk!

Pam, I do like some floor work, such as planks and bridges, or leg work. It's the pesky ab work that hurts my back. Good job on your workouts.

wishiwasinhawaii, I've stopped coloring my hair too, and it's also brown and gray. I think I'm still 2/3rds gray. The funny thing is that I think my brown hair is actually lighter. I know the gray makes it look lighter, but I used to be a dark brown, and now it's more a medium brown.

Donna, I also had a lighter case of shingles. I was around 45 when I had shingles, and I'm pretty sure it was due to stress and lack of sleep. I think that's one reason I haven't been anxious to get the shot, because I have had it, and it wasn't that bad. But it would probably be worse as we get older.
Old 01-16-21, 08:49 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday afternoon I did manage to squeeze in Pahla's Day 14 workout which was body weight strength and today, so far, has been:

Pahla B- Walk off the Weight Series -Day 15 - Met Con
Beginning Yoga w/ Chrissy Carter - Practice # 1 - Connect

Both were enjoyable. I enjoyed pulling out the DVD for yoga - for a change. With You Tube around I do tend to forget about my DVDs!

Glad you enjoyed the Firm workout, Sherry! It is possible to get Shingles again but I don't think it is particularly common for it to happen....I figure I will focus on the COVID vaccine first and then worry about if I want to get the Shingles Vaccine after that. I had also heard the pneumonia one is not pleasant either.

Pam - I'm sorry you are still suffering the effects of Bell's Palsy. I am sure that being run down can cause that as well....I know my friends daughter actually got it from Lyme disease. She is recovered now, though. Nice workouts! This may sound completely off the wall crazy, but I think I got Shingles in part b/c of having a colonoscopy. The year I had my colonoscopy was the sickest year I had in a long time, I kept catching colds and then ended up w/ shingles. I swear that the prep did me in . Fortunately, I got a clean bill of health and my next one is not for 10 years (well, now it is about 8) and I'm seriously thinking of doing the cologuard instead. I am not sure I can live through another prep. I don't mean to be dramatic, but it really took a lot out of me, no pun intended. I do not do well w/ meds, vaccines, anesthetics, pain killers, etc. and that is one reason why COVID freaks me out as much as it does. I think my body is healthy enough to handle it but I think my immune system would be the thing that would complicate things for me.....b/c it is very reactive.

wishiwasinhawaii - I hope you are feeling better!!

re: hair, in Jan 2020 I decided I wanted to grow out my hair which was in a short bob - so I began the process of growing it out and the pandemic just helped it along - it is now about shoulder length. I have only gone in for trims maybe twice since COVID, maybe 3 times. It is mostly b/c my hair is naturally curly and gets very heavy on top if I don't get it "shaped" once in awhile. Fortunately, each time I have been to my salon there have been minimal number of clients (this last time it was just me and my DD and the stylist - there was one other stylist there but she left) and everyone is wearing a mask. They moved the chairs apart in the waiting area - there is hand sanitizer and they take your temperature. So I feel it is pretty low risk. I will NOT get my eyebrows waxed though b/c I don't want anyone that close to my face, so my poor eyebrows do not look good - I do my best w/ them, but I am not good at it! LOL! I haven't colored my hair ever - it is blonde and I don't have any gray that I can see. My hair has gotten darker as I have gotten older though it is probably more of a light brown now than blonde....

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 05:33 PM  
Leonana

Today was the cardio from the Fusion dvd. It felt really good after the strength workouts I did this week.

I did preview the cardio from the Firm dvd I did yesterday, and it's not my cup of tea. I have to admit, doing other workouts has made me appreciate Jessica more, lol. But I will keep the dvd, I will do the strength workout again.

Donna, I did the Colonguard, and it was pretty easy. You just have to time it right, lol. I definitely think it was the way to go for me.
Old 01-16-21, 05:41 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Walk Strong Day 17 (Lower Body Strength!)

Hi Ladies,

I got a late start but did Jessica's Lower Body Strength! Also added to this 10 Minute Solution Trim and Tone Pilates with Lara Hudson (arms and abs segments!) This one uses the stretch band and was good. Took me a bit to find the right band (resistance and length.)

Sherry, I've sort of gotten away from doing FIRM workouts. They usually sit on the shelf untouched. ;-) I do like Stephanie Huckabee's Power Fit workouts though. They're good for restarting after being away from exercise for a bit.

Donna, thank you! My immune system has always been low, so I am the first person to get sick around here.

Hope everyone is enjoying the day. It's been a wet one here!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 11:38 PM  
CabCalloway

Quote:
Originally Posted by wishiwasinhawaii View Post
OMG, the side effects from the second Shingrix shot hit me like a ton of bricks late last night. Chills, severe headache, nausea, achy. I had no reaction to the first shot so I wasn't expecting this. I was sitting under 3 layers of blankets and I couldn't stop shaking. I also threw up overnight and got no sleep, so I took a sick day today. No exercise for me today and probably not tomorrow either. I've never had a reaction to a shot before! I almost feel like I have the flu. I guess it's better than getting shingles though.

Donna, Binghamton is gloomy even during the other seasons, not just winter, LOL.

Sherry, Wow, it's amazing all the great stuff you find at Goodwill!

Pam, I guess you'll be ahead of me on the schedule since I can't exercise right now! That's interesting about the weights. 10 lbs for that workout is still very heavy, but like you said, Jessica is a pro so I guess she's used to it.

Have a good day! I'm going to watch TV. It's kind of nice having a day to do nothing.
wishiwasinhawaii - I feel your pain. I had that real bad reaction to both doses of Shingrix. After the first one I suspected the 2nd would also do me in, so I got it on a late Friday afternoon and suffered through a miserable Saturday. By Sunday it was like nothing had ever happened. I've never had shingles but i know a few who have had it and it was no picnic, so I figured the shots were worth it. - All the best
CabC
CabCalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 07:43 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabCalloway View Post
wishiwasinhawaii - I feel your pain. I had that real bad reaction to both doses of Shingrix. After the first one I suspected the 2nd would also do me in, so I got it on a late Friday afternoon and suffered through a miserable Saturday. By Sunday it was like nothing had ever happened. I've never had shingles but i know a few who have had it and it was no picnic, so I figured the shots were worth it. - All the best
CabC
Wow, it stinks you had reactions to both shots! From what I've read and heard from others, it seems most people have a reaction to one of the shots. I'm back to normal now, but I was out of commission for two days. The first 24 hours were the worst. I agree it was worth it though.
Old 01-17-21, 07:56 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday was a long walk w/ my DD.

Today, so far, has been:

CS 1108

Pahla B - Walk off the Weight - Day 16 - Walking w/ Bursts - this was probably my least favorite of her workouts. It was either 1 min or 50 seconds of walking - literally in place - followed by 10 seconds of another exercise as a 'burst'. The walking in place is not my favorite. I could have used the bike for the walking intervals but then not enough time to get on/off and still get the other stuff in. Anyway...it is over! LOL!

Yoga w/ Kassandra - 10 Min Morning Stretch for Beginners

My DD has a horse show today - so lots of standing around...LOL!

Sherry - Nice job!!

Pam - I enjoy that 10 Min Sol. DVD.

CabC - ugh -sorry about the reaction to both shots...I think I'll worry about the COVID vaccine first.....one thing at a time!

Hope everyone has a good day!

Donna
donnamp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 07:56 AM  
wishiwasinhawaii

I got up early today for some reason and continued where I left off on the WS 1 schedule and did Brain Fitness Fun. That was a good one to come back to.

I'm feeling fine now, but yesterday I wanted to devote to decluttering so I spent the day doing that. I knew if I stopped to exercise, I'd never go back to it, so I had to stay focused and I got a lot done. Yay!

My hair is very straight so I can go long stretches of time (like I am now) without doing anything to it and it looks fine. I will get it trimmed at some point, or I may even do it myself. Even though salons are taking precautions, I don't want anyone that close to me and I think I can do it myself anyway. Since I rarely leave the house, it doesn't matter if it looks uneven, LOL. All I know is I've saved a ton of money on my hair since COVID started because I used to get it cut and colored every couple of months and it was around $100 each time.

Glad everyone is doing well!
Old 01-17-21, 03:07 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Hi Ladies,

Since I skipped Cardio Party earlier in the week (in favor of Pilates) I decided to get a bit of "lite" cardio in with Jessica's Have a Ball from WS2 Burn Fat and Have Fun DVD. While being light on the cardio it has some wonderful standing ab work and some fun moves with the ball, as well. Since I had a small ball out I added Tracey Mallett's Pilates Super Sculpt (Total Body warm up segment.) It's funny, I do these workouts so infrequently that by the time I need a small "squishy" or playground ball they end up being deflated. So, I pumped them up after the workouts, LOL! Hopefully they'll be ready to go the next time I need them!

Today was supposed to be a Prehab or Dynamic Stretch workout on the WS rotation, but I'll save it for a day when I haven't rested well.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

April Focus:
Linda Stejskal Wooldridge (Barlates)
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) April 8th Everyday Yoga Four Week Challenge
Jessica Smith Cardio Walks/Pilates Fusion
Lee Holden Qi Gong 30 Day Challenge
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-21, 08:03 PM  
lizh

Hi everyone,

Do you mind if I join your check in? I just started Jessica's WS3 rotation. I am on day 4 and I suspect I may need some motivation to make it through the 8 weeks! But it seems like you all like a lot of the instructors I like as well. For example: Pahla B. and KCM, in addition I like to throw in a little bit of The Firm for good measure.

Have any of you started/completed WS3 rotation? It is tough!
take care,
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gum surgery, jessica smith get strong, kanopy