Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-20, 09:14 AM  
buffmama

Good form, good form, and good form.
I'm really liking workouts without much talking that are timed. Gives me options when I modify and I know what to expect.
Old 12-22-20, 12:54 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrie A. View Post
I cue step and cardio classes in a similar fashion. Example: "4, 3, right foot V step" (saying "right foot V-step" on the last 4 beats of the 32-count phrase). I also use a lot of hand signals to indicate direction changes, etc (since some people in class don't know right from left to save their life ).
LOL, that must be frustrating for an instructor to see folks going every which way. Like herding cats.

I'm one of those "don't know left from right" folks. I've always had trouble even with the most basic choreography and didn't know why.

Years ago, I read an interview with Suzanne Sommers who said she had a really hard time learning dance routines. It turns out she has mild dyslexia and that makes it hard to follow routines. It all made sense to me then.

I think that Billy Blanks has that, too.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 03:00 PM  
Calistro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
Who does that?
I apologise Julie,

I was going to look up the workout to tell you, but I just read that the instructor was not well, so I take back everything that I have said, just in case it was part of a condition.

Calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-20, 03:01 PM  
Calistro

I also am not very keen on poor form, even if I can correct mine, I still worry that I might end up copying the instructors habits.
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 06:56 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

I actually have what some people may consider a long list here.

Here I'll emphasize one especially relevant category. The workout must have what I may call "care" and "attention." I don't demand perfection, but I'll probably notice things like unevenness or lapses in cuing that result from inattention, and my interest in doing the workout again (or trying other workouts from the same instructor) may suffer. If we're supposed to be able to see what the exercisers are doing, I like production choices that make this experience straightforward. Allowing for differences in bodies, abilities, comfort levels, and the like--I don't demand an aesthetic conformity--I still like to see "good form."

I find this thread's discussion of music interesting because I don't at all need music or "good music" in exercise, but I really prefer to drive with what I consider good music. I do have at least one explanation for the difference. (My musical requirements for exercise are fairly easy to meet. For example, the music must be "safe for work"--my driving music need not be --and if both the movements and the music are noticeably rhythmic, the rhythms should align.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 03:27 PM  
Gams

Alta, when I was a teenager, I had a wonderful dance teacher and when someone would start on the wrong foot, she would always say, “Try starting on your other right foot.” RIP Joyce Roberts
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-21, 10:02 PM  
JustSandra

For me it is absolutely mirror-cueing!

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." Hunter S. Thompson
JustSandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 08:46 AM  
LAC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
Normalcy, and being real if that makes sense. I just want the instructor to be themselves, not this fake phony motivator that sounds like a cheerleader. I also do not want any references to bathing suits, bikini's, looking hot, having a great body etc. I want references to general good health and well being.
^^This^^. I used to be concerned about good music and mirror cueing, but I've learned to let go of those things. However, hearing talk about looking hot and bathing suits annoys me like crazy. I don't workout because I'm worried whether someone thinks I look good in a bikini. I exercise because I am afraid that if I don't, I will turn into a hunched over little old lady who doesn't have the leg strength to get off the toilet by herself.
LAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-21, 08:54 AM  
Carol K

FIRM or BeMax.

Tags
workout must haves